Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found roughly 4.5+ pounds of 1800's silver treasure about two months ago. I wanted to post it to 'today's finds' the day I found it but it took me so long to document and research the whole thing that weeks had past by the time I was done. The histories behind many of the 72 pieces of treasure contained in the hoard are very fascinating. The oldest two spoons are from 1801 - the Napoleonic and Regency age - while King George III was still in power. The latest silver spoon in the hoard is inscribed with the date 1911 - when King George V was in his first full year of power - the year prior to the Titanic disaster. I pulled all of this treasure out of a dumpster - piece by meticulous piece. The house had been recently sold to new owners and they were throwing everything inside it into the trash. The previous owner must have collected silver spoons and the new owners must have been oblivious to the fact that silver spoons are valuable, so the treasure is mine now. I estimate it's worth at minimum $1,000.

I put all the treasure into a planter pot as I was digging it out:
In this first pic I am holding a Cartier sterling silver shot glass made in the style of the thimble, it was one of the few non-spoon treasures.
It was made in 1965 and is most modern treasure in the hoard.
spoons 9.jpg
The majority of the silver spoons are American coin silver and date from the 1800's-1860's.
Spoons 4.jpg
This is an image of the silver on a scale, note the weight in lbs. I tared out the container holding the silver so what you see is the true weight of only the solid silver items.
Spoons 10.jpg

In the hoard were two Russian Imperial silver serving spoons, both from 1875. Made in the city of Kamenetz-Podolsk of the Russian Empire in what is today part of Western Ukraine. The Czar at this time was Alexander II. 8 years prior to the making of these spoons, Czar Alexander II sold Alaska to former Lincoln Secretary of State William H. Seward for $7.2 million, a move that made the US population ridicule him calling the move "Seward's Folly" little did they know that Alaska was rich in minerals like gold and oil which would benefit the US greatly well into the modern age.
kamenetz podolsk.jpg

This set of three Sterling silver spoons includes one spoon with an inscription from 1911. The spoons were likely given as trophy prize for a tennis competition. I found only three, but it's likely the original set would have been at least six or perhaps even twelve, but those spoons have been lost to time:
20181220_231539.jpg

These are the best find of all of the spoons.
They are a matched set of 1801 London George III 'Berry spoons'.
They are sterling with gold washed bowls over a 3-dimensional berry motif.
The scroll work on the handle is most likely a later addition from Victorian times.
20181220_231712.jpg
20181220_231728.jpg

A familiar face, the crowned leopard's head. It was used to hallmark Sterling in Britain from the 14th century until 1821. In 1821 there was a clerical error in the official silver hallmarking law that accidentally omitted the fact that the leopard's head had to be wearing a crown, the silver industry thus followed the law as it was written and omitted the crown. Thee leopard's head would remain uncrowned on British sterling to this day.
Spoons 7.jpg

The bust of King George III himself! Some current events that were happening when this mark was impressed into this silver: Thomas Jefferson was sworn in as the 3rd US president. Napoleon loses the Siege of Cairo to British forces. Tripoli declares war on the USA following American disapproval of the Barbary Pirates and the First Barbary War begins. The first census is held in Great Britain. The population of England and Wales is determined to be 8.9 million, with London revealed to have 860,035 residents.
Spoons 8.jpg

This is a picture of most of the treasure, I went back to the dumpster the next day and found a few more pieces. The long silver things on top are sterling silver straws:
Spoons 1.jpg

In total there were 72 pieces of silver treasure including 50 silver spoons. Three spoons were of European origin made from 13 Loth or 81% silver, two spoons were Russian 84 Zolotnik or 87.5% silver and dated from 1875, two spoons were British Sterling from 1801, three spoons were Sterling from 1911, the other spoons were all 1800's American coin silver - 90% pure from various manufacturers - there were three complete sets and many one-off spoons, far too many to document in one post here. I suspect a few of the one-off American coin silver spoons are from the late 1700's as their styles are more similar to this earlier time period. I have yet to fully document all of the manufacturers of these American coin silver spoons.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if a "Dumpster Find" has ever been voted in as a Banner,, but I'm going to start the ball rolling.
Banner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what the inside of the dumpster looked like where the treasure was, I took a picture before I started digging because I knew this was gonna be big. There were other things in the dumpster that were not silver, like some copper and brass things that I took as well, made some decent money scrapping that stuff. All the forks were silver plated.
What A Massive Dumpster Hoard Looks Like.jpg
The first spoon I pulled out, and I knew it was 1800's American coin silver. I began to freak out.
001.jpg

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, wow, its a amazing find. Congrats:occasion14:

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Biggest damn thimble I ever saw....lol WOW!!!!!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great saves.

Depending on the class/wealth a woman's silvers were often prized possessions.
Still a joke today to count the silverwear when someone of dubious character leaves the house.

I have not found any like yours in terms of value , but those around old sites I'm confident were noted as missed by someone....
Kids factored to be sure in those finds of mine , and kids/heirs in yours too. Though on a whopping scale/level. Well ,on your scale. Pun intended.

Congrats. And great write up.

Banner nomination in as stated , "One mans trash is another mans treasure".
And boy howdy is it in this case!

Last edited:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner banner banner. It deserves Banner just for being found in the dumpster by someone actually having the BALLS to look for treasure in a,well....DUMPSTER! B-A-N-N-E-R!!!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank goodness the world is full of dumb people or we'd never find anything lol. Thats amazing! I've always been a dumpster diver since my grandfather and I would walk the neighborhood on bulk trash day. He grew up in the depression so it it could be salvaged he would do it. Sometimes he'd even repair the item and ask the contributer if they wanted their now working lamp or tool back after he repaired it lol.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful finds, huge congratulations! :occasion14:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing what people throw away. I agree that a banner vote does not necessarily require finding with a metal detector. Climbing into a dumpster shows that you deserve that vote. And thanks for posting it! A most excellent interesting presentation too.

(I almost didn't click on your post, thinking it might be someone posting a truckload of pulltabs...glad I clicked)

Last edited:

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My banner vote is in, glad you saved that from the landfill

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Life just never ceases to amaze me especially how blind some folks can be (myself as well from time to time). Whether a president is Damned for protecting the borders of our country (and by doing so is following U.S.A. laws and honoring the Constitution) or someone chooses to dump some nasty old used forks and spoons and does not notice from the color that they look odd and might be worth looking at. Congratulations on your find and willingness to go after the treasure before you. "I won't have much to drink tonight fellas, just a thimble full please"! Enjoy Christmas.................63bkpkr

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
UnderMiner,

Your' finds of thrown out treasures never has and never will cease to amaze me as most if not historic, they are valuable! Congrats on the awesome finds! I am not sure the finds will make Banner but I am voting Banner anyway. Nice Christmas present for you by the way!

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the Dumpster to the Banner. Nice saves sir. You have my vote!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions