Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story and find. Definitely repurpose the chestnut frame. If it’s “wormy” chestnut, that is, chestnut with worm holes in it, then the timber was harvested after the blight had killed the trees. The blight likely went through WV in the ‘20s, ‘30s and ‘40s. A lot of standing, dead chestnuts were harvested by the CCC, because the wood was rot resistant and still useful. If it doesn’t have worm holes, it was most likely pre-blight and could be quite old.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story and find. Definitely repurpose the chestnut frame. If it’s “wormy” chestnut, that is, chestnut with worm holes in it, then the timber was harvested after the blight had killed the trees. The blight likely went through WV in the ‘20s, ‘30s and ‘40s. A lot of standing, dead chestnuts were harvested by the CCC, because the wood was rot resistant and still useful. If it doesn’t have worm holes, it was most likely pre-blight and could be quite old.

Edit: not sure why it posted twice, but I’d be willing to bet that your grandfather ate quite a few chestnuts before they were gone.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive said it before and here again...Toss the house. There may be more. DO you know where the mirror came from? Did it move with them to the house or did it come from a sale? If the second wife was the hider then she may have stashed more money. If the mirror was acquired then someone else probably hid it and passed away leaving it to be found by you. Either way, I would most definitely keep this quiet from the family. Do not tell them anything. Not to be greedy but people get very weird about money. Nothing but problems from where you least expect it. Trust me. They get weird

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great find. personal finds like that don't come often.

When my sister's father in law passed and they had to empty the house to sell. in his den he had tons of books. When moving the books to boxes a twenty dollar bill fell out. So the fanned all the books and recovered over $1,000 in bills all 20's and 50's.

I just think some older people of that generation did not completely trust banks. In some of the metal detecting/treasure hunting books I read, they point out different places in the home and yard where old timers hid money.

What I can remember is in the houses they would put silver and gold coins under the linoleum flooring, under loose steps between the step and riser. Outside a fence post hole was a good place to bury money. It often was a fence post that was visible from a window in a room that was frequently used. So when hunting an old home site with a home that is vacant that you can go to, swing the steps and the floor.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find. personal finds like that don't come often.

When my sister's father in law passed and they had to empty the house to sell. in his den he had tons of books. When moving the books to boxes a twenty dollar bill fell out. So the fanned all the books and recovered over $1,000 in bills all 20's and 50's.

I just think some older people of that generation did not completely trust banks. In some of the metal detecting/treasure hunting books I read, they point out different places in the home and yard where old timers hid money.

What I can remember is in the houses they would put silver and gold coins under the linoleum flooring, under loose steps between the step and riser. Outside a fence post hole was a good place to bury money. It often was a fence post that was visible from a window in a room that was frequently used. So when hunting an old home site with a home that is vacant that you can go to, swing the steps and the floor.
The Sewer pipe to nowhere. 30 years or more ago, a friend who was a plumber was doing a home inspection for persons wishing to buy a home from an estate. In the basement he found an old piece of sewer main suspended in the floor joists above capped at both ends looking like abandoned old drain pipe. He said it looked very legit abandoned except that it was angled the wrong way to drain anything to the street. He uncapped it and found gold coins, old paper money wrapped in wax paper and jewelry. Not sure if he kept it or returned it or if it was just a story as I did not see the goods. He did seem far to excited for it to be made up. at any rate people get very creative when hiding their loot, My grandfather had a tip out base board in the hallway. I played next to it for years and when he passed I was tasked with emptying it. I was blown away it was there. You could not tell. Floor safes under carpet used to be all the rage. I found many (all empty :( )

OP
OP
D

Digger Pop

Mar 10, 2018
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No wormholes so its a pre blight frame. Pretty sure frame and mirror was in the house when he bought the house in 1949. I believe he relocated the mirror from bottom of the stairs to the bathroom he added on the house in the 1960's. Painted the frame with the same paint as the walls and nailed it solid top and bottom to the wall behind the sink.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No wormholes so its a pre blight frame. Pretty sure frame and mirror was in the house when he bought the house in 1949. I believe he relocated the mirror from bottom of the stairs to the bathroom he added on the house in the 1960's. Painted the frame with the same paint as the walls and nailed it solid top and bottom to the wall behind the sink.

Personally, I’d take the paint off, sand, and leave bare or put a layer of clear on it. Chestnut wood, especially without worm holes, is attractive and uncommon these days, and has its own story to tell.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
That is such a bittersweet story! WOW! I'm glad you found them and are going to display them.

That's the way it should be.

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Why dont you get a frame made that's wide enough to have a painting of the property painted on it,use two pieces of glass to mount the bills between. In the frame.

Great Idea!

Kace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread