A sobering reminder from Noah Sweat

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noah S. Sweat was a Mississippi state legislator who gave the following speech to state legislators in contention of Mississippi's state prohibitions on hard liquor-

[My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, this is how I feel about whiskey:

If when you say whiskey you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.

It's not things like whiskey that are evil. No tangible thing is evil. Just don't drive shined up, don't pack a firearm juiced up, and be kind to others, 'cause after all, We all gotta drink with each other.

I mean live with each other.... :laughing7:

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well then let us make it illegal, that's how we stopped everyone from shooting heroin. :dontknow:

The way it goes is some people, a minority of people even, cannot handle their liqour. So then, the solution to "helping" the minority, and the majority which suffers from the minorities's drunkenness, is to force prohibition.

Now that's stupid. Punishing the majority for the actions of the minority of boozers.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now this is what I'm talkin' about!
WiskeyTruck.png Wiskey2age.png
Jon :headbang:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its tequila for me. 2 shots I'm good 4 shots you are a dead man. Thus I abstain

I'm actually allergic to tequila.....I break out in handcuffs!
Jon :headbang:

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its tequila for me. 2 shots I'm good 4 shots you are a dead man. Thus I abstain

Nothing wrong with abstinence. A man has got to know his limitations.

Meet me at The Green Dragon, Trdking. Best tavern in history. They don't serve ta-kill-ya. Just rum, whiskey, ale, coffee and reason. :icon_thumright:

I like coffee.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their must have been a mistranslation with the biblical Noah, he was to bring TWO BOTTLES of every kind (much needed) as well as animals, this may have changed Noah Sweat's thoughts?
Jon:occasion14: :headbang:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The way it goes is some people, a minority of people even, cannot handle their liqour. So then, the solution to "helping" the minority, and the majority which suffers from the minorities's drunkenness, is to force prohibition.
well I'll tell you what buddy.it doesn't have anything to do with handling your booze,it has to do with addiction.Do you have anybody that you care and live with that's an alcoholic?If you don't then you have no idea what I'm talking about.you have no idea what it's like to try to stop somebody that's an alcoholic to stop drinking.try it then get back to me.as far as help goes,those with money get the good help.a decent rehab costs between 20,000 and 40,000 bucks.ill just whip that right out of my change jar.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Man this is nuts; I do not even drink, I have one Cola drink a year and have for at least the past 30 years.

Used to drink, then I noticed how my performance went through the roof in cycling, yaking, running and climbing.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't drink anymore either.

That's fine. Nobody has to drink.

But why would you want to stomp on the freedom of others who can hamdle it? I have studied this. It is only an estimated 5%-10% of people who suffer addiction. Why sacrifice the freedom of 90% to "save" the few afflicted with addiction?

Also, look at the negative consequences of any prohibition on any item. Such prohibitions always create a black market with all the crime and the costs of crime that comes along with a black market.

The same principles apply to prohibitions on any tagible thing.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Try experiencing it first hand.You have no idea whatsoever how easily it is to become an alcoholic.So take your booze and shove it.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That's fine. Nobody has to drink.

But why would you want to stomp on the freedom of others who can hamdle it? I have studied this. It is only an estimated 5%-10% of people who suffer addiction. Why sacrifice the freedom of 90% to "save" the few afflicted with addiction?

Also, look at the negative consequences of any prohibition on any item. Such prohibitions always create a black market with all the crime and the costs of crime that comes along with a black market.

The same principles apply to prohibitions on any tagible thing.

I would not want to take away someones freedoms just because I am faster, stronger or have a great deal more endurance. Mate I have been shot, stabbed and in more explosions than I care to count, but sure as heck would not see me saying that weapons should be banned. This only punishes the innocent because the bad will still have it.

I love the taste of booze, and when I stop riding, not lifting or kayaking, just riding, then you can bet I am going to get me a drink.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try experiencing it first hand.You have no idea whatsoever how easily it is to become an alcoholic.So take your booze and shove it.

Well you don't know who you are speaking with.

I'm of the opinion that nobody can "make" an addict stop. Only the addict and God Himself can do that.

Your mileage may vary.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Addiction? Yeah it's a disease. Peanut allergy is a disease too, but you don't see us outlawing peanuts.

Then again, people with peanut allergy shouldn't get caught eating peanuts until they are sick and throwing up on the bartender.

People can get addicted to anything.

Like sugar. But we don't out law soft drinks....

Oh, wait.

Like using incandescent light bulbs, but we don't force people to use fluorescent....

Oh wait.

Like shooting automatic firearms, but those...

...aren't illegal?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread