Where would you Start to hunt this place and How ? Pictures

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a friends place that met last year. I found her horses that was missing for 4 days with my drones. She gave me permission to hunt and detect it. One needs to be EXTREMELY careful not to step on broken glass and Nails Her horses were missing for 4 days an she was in a state of panic. I went there to help another horse person. I put a drone in the air and spotted them about A mile from her place. We went and got them and was back in less then a hour.
Nice ending :)

Thanks for looking' Merianne1.jpg Merianne3.jpg Merianne4.jpg Merianne5.jpg Merianne6.jpg [/ATTACH] Merianne8.jpg

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old, OLD house...!
Hunt it, then post yer Finds...!
Thanks !

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start with 3 ibuprofen, an extra strength 5 hour energy, a good metal detector (no discrimination) near the exterior doors and work your out from there, and try to cover every square inch digging every repeatable nonferrous tone you can find.

Good luck I can't wait to see what you turn up.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congratulations on finding her horse. Hope you find some nice stuff.:icon_thumright:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start = as soon as you step foot on dirt... work towards building... then out a ways then in... like radiating lines from building.

At least that would be me.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Place !

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start by the Exits

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
start with your drone - seeing what clues are there from the aerial views of the property should be helpful as you should be able to spot old paths, burn pits, foundations, alignments of trees and of course the oldest trees should stand out without the views from the sky.

With the floor beams being 'shaped trees' the first clue is that the place is old and from the one view of the house it looks like a 'salt box' style house, so that goes back a ways. As this is a large brick home it indicates someone with a good income lived there and as it is an old home, possibly built before WW I, before the flu pandemic, before the depression there is a lot of history to consider and possibly someone may have had a 'Bank' or hiding hole at the place. How much land is involved, any creeks/streams/rivers/lakes on the property? How long is the driveway? Is it out in the country or on the outskirts of town? A family likely lived there, how many children, what sort of activities did the owners involve themselves with (parties, hunting, flower beds, picnics) etc.

In what year was the home constructed? Horse and buggy era (a stable)? Automobiles? Occupation, social status, personal activities, number of children, country 2nd home or main home all hint at what sort of activities could have taken place around the home inside and outside. Was there an area set aside for picnics? With increased outdoor activities (children, parties, social gatherings) the higher the possibility of something having been lost, children or adults climbing trees, etc.

So yes, the aerial views could offer clues as a hint of a trail/path might lead one to a row of trees or unique plant types that could have been where their hiding place could have been located though likely there was also a hiding place in the house or outbuilding. Just possibilities

You've a lot of details to unearth/ask about that could help to understand the history of the house and its occupants and using your drone for above ground photo details could be beneficial. Good Luck with the details and the search, we look forward to whatever you can share with us...............63bkpkr

What has the owner of the property been able to tell you about the property?

Hmmmm, looking at the enlarged photos - they left the bark on the logs that hold the place up, not a good move as it allows for bugs, decay, rot. I was wondering why the place was coming apart. The tree roots at either end of the house could also have added to the demise of the basic structure. The sinking at the left of the house is likely just from the location of the house and a poor foundation in the ground. IMHO

So its hill country with the house being built right at the downturn of the top of the hill, not the best choice of home site but the view was better. Any limestone in the area (cave formations, or foundation weakening)? Ugly butt looking fireplace, any chance it was tiled over and then the tile removed (just another curious thing about the home). Then the cut stones at the downhill side of the house, a natural weak point and of course it is failing. A few flaws to the design of the home, not the best place for a brick home. Lathe and Plaster inner wall construction, likely no insulation but maybe a hiding place was devised, be tough to detect with all the nails but if a really solid hit of a metal object could indicate something interesting.

Should have an outhouse somewhere, actually several of them. Garbage Dump? Would the house had garbage truck/wagon service?? If not then there is a dump site somewhere, some bottles are valuable, drone time again!

Place is heading for being dangerous. Likely the attic has been picked clean, still with the help of that Deus in the field you might find something up there. Remember, it was not uncommon for people to hollow out a beam and put coins into the hollow.

The building that has fallen apart, was it attached to the brick home? What was it? There is a lot of wood in that foundation, it may be rotten but if not it is likely 'clear' and could fetch a good price.

What was the occupation of the first owner/builder of the home, should have been a 'pillar' of the community?!

So many questions, so few answers.................

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add she built a new home and does not live in this place LOL

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at all that reusable brick. Other than what has already been mentioned, check out around any out buildings and check out any elevation that is higher than the house. As for the house, check out the baseboards, especially in the kitchen or pantry area for any short boards which could be removed to hide any goodies. Check any spaces under the stairwells. Be carefull and check if there are any loose brick in and around the fireplace. Just a few suggestions.

RiverTimi

Jan 1, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Di Pro5900, White's DFX Spectra e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing I would do is check out all of the glass jars/bottles in the area, some of those could be valuable, especially ones without seams or twist top grooves. Blue, green, brown, white glass can be promising also. Usually there was a "trash" pit on the property worth looking into, also check around the spring area(s). Of course, then hit it with the detector. Good luck, tell us how it turns out!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Chimney, all in and around it for loose bricks or other hiding spots, if it has an ash dump, then check it.

Then walls and floors, any place that you could hide something.

Then go check any walking path going between structures or to structure.

That is just where I would start.

But as someone already pointed out, look at all that reusable brick. Good money.

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the place looks ready to fall at any moment, be careful

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always start at the sidewalk, or what should be the sidewalk coming from the front door. Then radiate from there. Good luck.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exterior doors outward, as others have mentioned. Works for me.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would bring a wide snow shove and push all the stuff on the floor into a pile and look for unevenly spaced boards. I’ve been in 2 houses that had a hidden floor door. These doors where under carpets and we’re used for hiding valuables. Then I would start at the south east corner of the house because farmers didn’t trust banks back then and would hide valuables including cash in containers in the ground near the south east corner because less snow build up in that corner during winter months and would be easier to get to their valuables. I also agree with looking for loose bricks in and around fireplaces. My neighbor had a painter come in to paint his house when he was away and when he came back his money was missing. He stashed it behind 2 removable bricks on the side of his fireplace. The fireplace was painted by the painter so my neighbor knew right away who took the money. Then I would look for old foundations that may have been used for a storage shed or barn. Good luck.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outhouse & or a path to it.And around the biggest trees on the property.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting and old looking permission - I would start by asking questions of the current owner .Any info she has - old platt maps , boundary lines , some of these old records/deeds, may show where outbuildings once stood , and privies as well. If the owner doesn't know much , perhaps some neighbors do . Research the property with the help of a nearby library .. librarians can be a great resource in helping you get some history on that place . Keep us posted on what you find out and on what you find !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread