Inluenced by TV?

Dr.Banner

Greenie
Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you folks noticed an influx of members here or in your communities that have seem to be influenced by the high amount of "treasure hunting" shows?

What's your take on it?

Obviously, I'm super new, and of course I love a good ole treasure hunt so I can't say I wasn't influenced a little myself. Good way to rehabilitate my walking and activities with metal detecting, and I get to feel like I'm on my own personal History Channel show.:laughing7:

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I never watched those shows other than the detectorists for the humor. Funny because I sometimes hunt with a guy who was on one of those shows.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't give you a bucket of cold spit for any of them. I have my own adventure going on right here anyway. I do watch The Andy Griffith Show on NetFlix, however. That's just the kind of cornball I am. Cornbread? Did somebody say cornbread? Sure, I'll have a slice. Aunt Bea, will you make me some bisciuts?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TV Shows do Help.
My guess even movies do , to those who think outside the box,
and realize even if it was just a movie. there are real Treasures out there..
and don't forget those who are just curious after reading a news report,
seeing someone detecting, or knowing someone who does it.

Then add Xmas :icon_thumright:

All I think about it .. I hope they all Join TreasureNet.
not just for the Numbers,
but also to learn from each other

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had a few speak to me as though I was influenced by TV. Assume I watch those shows, or are the reason I do this stuff.

I was in a conversation about finding gold, and when one guy heard I had, he asked if "I was going to work for Tony"......He had to explain who Tony was

Another guy asked me so many questions about the Drayton guy on Oak Island, and If I had the same detector as him when he found out I had a Minelab. He wants to try detecting in the spring, and is bent on getting that detector. I told him to at least try it first before buying one, and not to start off with a CTX, and offered to let him try it first with my Eagle Spectrum, but insisted my old piece of crap wouldn't find as much or go as deep.

The Detectorists though, other than myself, I don't know anyone outside this board who has seen it. I have suggested it to a few folks as "the best, most informative metal detecting show on TV"......Because It does such a nice job of showing the frustration of digging up new trash, and what metaldetecting is usually like.

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a few speak to me as though I was influenced by TV. Assume I watch those shows, or are the reason I do this stuff.

I was in a conversation about finding gold, and when one guy heard I had, he asked if "I was going to work for Tony"......He had to explain who Tony was

Another guy asked me so many questions about the Drayton guy on Oak Island, and If I had the same detector as him when he found out I had a Minelab. He wants to try detecting in the spring, and is bent on getting that detector. I told him to at least try it first before buying one, and not to start off with a CTX, and offered to let him try it first with my Eagle Spectrum, but insisted my old piece of crap wouldn't find as much or go as deep.

The Detectorists though, other than myself, I don't know anyone outside this board who has seen it. I have suggested it to a few folks as "the best, most informative metal detecting show on TV"......Because It does such a nice job of showing the frustration of digging up new trash, and what metaldetecting is usually like.
Over on another board I'm a member of, we had a thread dedicated to the detectorists. Lots of posts there, especially when we were left hanging wondering about season 2.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Over on another board I'm a member of, we had a thread dedicated to the detectorists. Lots of posts there, especially when we were left hanging wondering about season 2.
I'd bet i'm in that conversation, lol.

I got all 3 seasons on DVD for Christmas, and just noticed season 3 on HULU

But actually havent watched yet, just waiting for the true boredom of wimter to set in.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't give you a bucket of cold spit for any of them. I have my own adventure going on right here anyway. I do watch The Andy Griffith Show on NetFlix, however. That's just the kind of cornball I am. Cornbread? Did somebody say cornbread? Sure, I'll have a slice. Aunt Bea, will you make me some bisciuts?

Just don't eat Bea's pickles!!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started this hobby and watched a few Youtube videos to learn how to detect and watched many detector reviews to determine what options I wanted in my next machine. I only watched a couple parts of some Digger episodes, but it's not my cup of tea. My wife bought me a go-pro set up for Christmas after my second season thinking that I'd like to video my hunts. I thanked her and then traded it to my daughter for a small cheap hand held video camera and tripod since she would find more use for it during her travels. I do appreciate many of those who do record and post on Youtube, but I rather live each day rather than to take time today to edit yesterdays adventure. As you can see by the amount of posts I made, I spend much time here on Tnet staying in touch with friends, trying to assist noobs, and to see how the new machines perform.

By the way we cut the cable back about 7 years ago. Save ourselves over 7K since we get over 50 channels using an antenna.

OP
OP
D

Dr.Banner

Greenie
Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an addict for pretty much anything that stands a snowballs chance of being right on TV. Whether it be treasure hunting shows, conspiracy shows, even ancient aliens. Naturally I know 99% is bunk, but I get a kick out of some of the personalities on these shows that are "so sure" they are right. Plus, a small part of me hopes, that maybe, just maybe, the crazies will be right, and prove the world wrong.

I guess it's the closest thing you can get to Hiram Bingham, Jacque Coustaue, Richard Byrd, etc. in today's crazy media world. And since Google Earth has pretty much made the majority of land on Earth explored. Although I highly doubt the Laguina brothers compare to any explorer, much less the ones I named, lol, but you get what I'm saying.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember back when there were good treasure hunting shows?

Not some dramatic soap opera crap.....but Old dudes with big mustaches, metal detecting and prospecting in more of "outdoor" PBS type shows.

Anymore I prefer YouTube videos when I want to watch TV. Holestly, Calabash Digger's videos are quite fun and informative..... Kinda like "Mater goes Metal Detectin" [emoji4]. RelicRecoverist is fun to look at, Ask Jeff Williams is goofy and fun.

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember back when there were good treasure hunting shows?

Not some dramatic soap opera crap.....but Old dudes with big mustaches, metal detecting and prospecting in more of "outdoor" PBS type shows.

Anymore I prefer YouTube videos when I want to watch TV. Holestly, Calabash Digger's videos are quite fun and informative..... Kinda like "Mater goes Metal Detectin" [emoji4]. RelicRecoverist is fun to look at, Ask Jeff Williams is goofy and fun.
I totally agree! I watch the Hoover Boys, Silverslingers, Brandin Niece, and Rediscovering America with Digger O'Dell

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those shows are all scripted with respect to their speaking lines! :icon_scratch:

I have friends that were on one of those shows. The finds are real, but after re-take after re-take to obtain the best video angle...etc.; finds appear to be planted. :icon_thumleft:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
high amount of TV Shows.

What TV shows.

I know of Oak Island

Then two gold shows, Yukon and Gold Rush

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just in the number of Templar Pull Tabs and Jesuit Pepsi Caps showing on on Craig's List locally.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's one of the main reasons you can find so much cheap barely used mining equipment.

It's amazing what people will spend before they've ever found anything haha. They get discouraged or its too hard of work and they are done with it.

The only thing you achieve by buying highbankers or drywashers is you have to shovel alot faster hehe. They dont realize they are spending money just to have to shovel faster until they've spent thousands.
Miners call it "production equipment" but it makes a newbies arms hurt while his wife is asking where all the nuggets are at?
I love cheap second hand quality equipment so I'm not complaining. Theres no reason to ever buy anything new in this trade. There are literally "prospectors" retiring every day!

I haven't had a TV in 20 years but the new shows have fired up alot of people to the gold hunt no doubt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread