MD'r learns Mr. Wizardesque technique to clean silver coins.. Very happy w results!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some of you this will be old news. To me it was a great experiment. I felt like Mr. Wizard!
First off I should give credit to BuckleBoy for posting about this method of cleaning blackened silver. Thanks for the info it was extremely helpful. The instructions were very simple and easy to follow and it was fun to do.

As you will see in the pictures below I had a couple coins that I wanted to clean. The seated liberty dime was frustrating because it was black from salt water and pretty hard to see any detail. When I initially found it I rubbed the sand off it and left scratch marks across the face of the oxidized silver. The method in a nutshell: glass bowl, tin foil (shiny side up on bottom of bowl) and baking soda. Put the coin in or on top of the baking soda. Pour boiling water on it and let it fizz for 5 minutes. Run under cool water and rub lightly. I ran the coin through this process about 8 times with the seated side up. For some reason the chemical reaction only seemed to take place on the upside of the coin. I think you can tinker with this process without fear of destroying your coin. Pretty amazing difference seen here.

Next I had my recently found silver dollar. It was killing me that the tarnish / crud on it wouldn't come off. I don't have any interest or hopes of selling the thing but I didn't want to make it worse. For this one: I soaked it in the juice of one lemon for multiple 10 minute blocks of time (probably 40 min) then I'd take it out and rinse it off and rub with a q-tip lightly. It definitely made a different but it seemed like one treatment was effective and subsequent treatments didn't clean it any further. I had hit a wall. So I tried the above baking soda method. I gave it one treatment and rubbed it with a q-tip. The tarnish came off and I was stoked with the results. I know there is a school of thought that says coins should never be cleaned but these aren't that level. I would be very curious to know what would be done to a tree coin or something of that stature if you sent it for professional cleaning. Thanks for reading I would recommend anyone try this if you have a silver that you want to clean up.

Attachments

• IMG_6577.JPG
    IMG_6577.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6579.JPG
    IMG_6579.JPG
    816.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6583.JPG
    IMG_6583.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6580.JPG
    IMG_6580.JPG
    833.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6581.JPG
    IMG_6581.JPG
    678.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6584.JPG
    IMG_6584.JPG
    695.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6585.JPG
    IMG_6585.JPG
    587 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6586.JPG
    IMG_6586.JPG
    650.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6587.JPG
    IMG_6587.JPG
    621.6 KB · Views: 81

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just use tinfoil and spit. If there is a lot of black tarnish the coin will get warm to hot during the chemical process and smell like rotten eggs. I’ve tried the process you outlined above and it works as well. Nice coins!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When it comes to the foil it is best to not have any wrinkles in it where the coins sits. I used this method many times. Worked great for mt Peace dollar that was in a fire.

Before Pics

20151213_135038.jpg 20151213_135103.jpg

After Pics

20151213_155148.jpg 20151213_155203.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds and cleaning! :occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice peace dollar Loco-Digger! :occasion14:

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just use tinfoil and spit. If there is a lot of black tarnish the coin will get warm to hot during the chemical process and smell like rotten eggs. I’ve tried the process you outlined above and it works as well. Nice coins!

I've actually seen this method before but I forgot that it existed thanks! Will definitely try this one out next time I need to clean a rough looking silver!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the baking soda, tin foil method to clean all kinds of silver pieces, everything except jewelry with stones which might crack from the boiling water. Lemon juice soaking is good to take off thick crusty stuff that some pieces get.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use boiling water when I do method, not warm, but yes, boiling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread