19th Century Plantation and What to Look For

spaced45

Apr 11, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Whites CoinMaster Pro
Treasure Hunters,

Had the first hunt of the new year with my digging buddy. We found a bunch of clad coins, a little silver and our first gold find; heart shaped locket. Although we had a good day today, these days don't happen as often as we think it should so I hoping to get some advice on how to better research and understand the land we are hunting.
I do a great deal of time hunting on my buddy's childhood home which is about 200 acres and where a 1830's plantation home once stood. I've provided a Trackback link to is his post from a few years ago that provides a little background on the property.
Here are some of the questions we keep asking ourselves. Link: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...-1835-family-plantation-home-burned-down.html

What kind of land features should we be looking for? Where can we find information on a typical layout of a 19th century plantation home? For example, where would an outhouse be located, where would they do their cooking, where would they store their food (i heard something about underground cellar type structures which we actually found!) or where would servant/slave quarters usually be located? If people needed to walk somewhere close and not on horseback would they cut through woods or use 'main' roads to get there?
Now, we've found quite a bit of things on the property but with the property being so old I know we should have found more. I think if we could learn more about the periods culture, environment and how the people lived I think it would help focus our diggs. If you have a moment take a look at my friends earlier post. In one of the replies a member graciously provided examples of some of the information we are looking for example:
"As to possible caches Civil War or otherwise-they say that misers- the 50's guy probably qualifies- bury their money where they can keep an eye on it..."
"I would look for distinctive land features, very large old trees or stumps there of, rock formations, high ground, anything distinctive."
"Around big live oaks is often good because people sought shade."

I am sure that once we can better understand the period, the more focused our hunts will be and the more treasure we will find. Any assistance in pointing us in the right direction would be very much appreciated. Thanks and happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions