Boiled $46.54; Grover Cleveland; Pork Chops w/Apples Onions and Mashed Potatoes

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Did my annual clad boil and Coinstar machine trip tonight...started by taking out the obvious bent ones...then boiling about the past year's worth of clad into a dirt soup...dryed the coins, then headed to the Coinstar machine. Ran the coins through and got $46.54 minus the 8% they keep, so it was $42 something. I always look carefully while drying the coins and placing them though the machine that there's no silver or some other missed gem. I did find a Grover Cleveland token, one of those they gave away in the early 1900s or so, I think at gas stations. I had put it in the coins a while back by mistake. That was cool to find. I took my earnings from all that digging, went to the nice restaurant near my house, sat at the bar and ordered the pork chops with apples and onions. I wish I had my camera to photo it when it arrived. Two glistening grilled chops, thick and piled high with apples and onions, all on top of a mountain of mashed potatoes. Tasted good and especially knowing it was all covered by the clad (it was only about $20). Very enjoyable use of the clad...I suggest a clad boil if you haven't done one.

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Re: Boiled $46.54; Grover Cleveland; Pork Chops w/Apples Onions and Mashed Potat

Yeah it's an Italian place, but I couldn't pass up that monster pork chops dish I've been wanting to try.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
You earned every bite of that meal, my friend.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
hmmmmmm.....I boiled all the clad I found this week and settled down for a nice dish of clad soup ( ::) clear broth ) , threw a hot dog in it and called it good... :D

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
This could replace making apple butter as an American tradition! I'd hate to lose the percentage to Coinstar; my bank has a machine that's free to account holders.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
That's putting those finds to work! Made me hungry for pork chops; 7:30 am and I haven't had breakfast yet and no prok chops in the Fridge :(

Wonder if Gypsy's soup had a slight metallic taste....guess she got her minerals from it ::)

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pork chops sound good, but I'm holding out for a lobster/clad boil myself ;D

Attachments

• lobster dinner.jpg
    lobster dinner.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 120

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
That's a mighty good thing to purchase with clad coins. Glad you enjoyed your meal. Perhaps I will do just that next time I cash in.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Boiled you clad?

Gee, I never thought of cooking my coins to clean them. How did it work? Evidently good enough for Coinstar?

Would like to have seen some before and after pics.

Live n learn.

HH
Ray S

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread