Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Re: What's you veiw on rock tumblers

DANGLANGLEY said:
UnEarthed72 said:
DANGLANGLEY said:
I just bought one of those at wal-mart a few weeks ago and they will do the job pretty good. I used the ground up metal that came with it to clean the clad. I guess I didn't have the lid on snug enough because most of the metal had seeped out around the lid. I am going to try sand next and see if it works better. I'll try that after while and let you know how it turns out. It will be pretty loud so you will need a place to put it where it won't drive you all crazy, lol...Have a good one

DANGLANGLEY

did you put the o-ring around the inside of the top?,or maybe you forgot to turn the top a bit to lock it on the barrel

I never determined where I goofed up. I assumed that it it was my fault anyhow. I had the o-ring in place and I do remember turning the lid to lock it. It works just fine with sand. It sure takes the work out of cleaning coins. Oh, I did forget to mention NOT to put pennies in with other coins. Have a good one

DANGLANGLEY

DANG i had the same problem as well w/ everything in place as it shoud be,then i read the instructions(lol) it said that you can expect some seepage in the first hour until the mixture seals where the top and barrel go togeather..and also said put some newspaper under it so it will catch what seeps out.

i cut a square of plastic from a bread bag and placed it over the barrel cup then put the top on and twisted it..its been running for an hour now with no signs of leaking(works great),one other note:...it also says to put some vasoline or veg. oil in where both posts sit..it saves on wear

thanks again for all the help
~Shawn~

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got a double tub one from Harbor Freight about a year ago. I think it normally sold for $59, but they had a special and I think I paid less than $40 for it. Good quality and with 2 tubs you can put quarters and dimes in one and pennies in the other.

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

I saw those on the site,eventually i'll end up getting one of those the look pretty nice.how quiet is the one you have?

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack

dont mix clad with pennies.. why? your clad will have a copper look to it and people will look at you funny.

stores wont accept weird looking coins... stuff in parking meters and vending machines. thats what i do! parking meters get the real nasty ones fo being such bandits!

does the cheapo tumbler work well? yep. i have the harbor freight one and its just fine. just has to spin a rubber container. not much rocket sceince here.

what to put in tumbler? i use dish soap and water. i keep any non ferous small scrap i dig and then toss it in the tumbler and use it as part of the aggregate for whatever coins i tumble. i dont agree with the sand/gravel thing because you dont want to be pouring sand down the drain in the house and risking a clog. if you dont mind cleaning out the tumbler outside then by all means.. rock on!

how long to tumble? no less than 2 hours but i've had the best results runing it for 4-6 hours when its about half filled with coins/stuff.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2

I agree soap and water work just fine and no hassle trying to recover the gravel or sand after each batch. I fill the container about half full and tuble for a couple of hours. Change the water once and two hours later most of the coins look almost new...Shoot

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Frankford Arsenal Brass Cleaning Media Corn Cob .... use this for cleaning brass before reloading, may work on coins.

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

I got my tumbler at Hobby Lobby for $20 including tax (regular $30 with a 40% discount). I use play sand and several drops of soap and tumble for 90 minutes. It still leaves some "black stain" on some of the coins and starts to wear the edges but it's good enough to roll.

BPMM

R

robert roy

I have a question....
I have never used a rock tumbler. What kind of product is used in the cleaning process. Can one use very gine grain beach snad?

Robert Roy

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

robert roy said:
I have a question....
I have never used a rock tumbler. What kind of product is used in the cleaning process. Can one use very gine grain beach snad?

Robert Roy
Rob, if they are clad coins and you just want to get the crud off of then, you can use most anything from dish detergent and water to sand..small gravel...anything that will cause a little friction on the coins..I imagine you could just toss a handfull of pennies in it and it would clean the gunk off..experiment...HH

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

Harbor Freight<<<<I just found out today that this place is only 10 miles from my home lol...suppose i should go and see whats good.

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B

Ground walnut shell or the corn cob mentioned earlier are dust free can be used dry. Sift out the coins and reuse.Ya might try soaking the coins in vineger too.

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

Urban Prospector said:
Ground walnut shell or the corn cob mentioned earlier are dust free can be used dry. Sift out the coins and reuse.Ya might try soaking the coins in vineger too.

I have not had much luck with vinegar...and definitely not vinegar and salt my coins came out in worse condition than when they went in.But i will try the two other methods and see how that works out,thanks for the tips.

hybrid_XLT

Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have not had much luck with vinegar...and definitely not vinegar and salt my coins came out in worse condition than when they went in.But i will try the two other methods and see how that works out,thanks for the tips.
[/quote]

Salt & vinegar worked okay of my wheat penny's but one of my Indian head Pennys came out all discolored and pitted, wish i never tried to clean it. it actually looked better all dirty...well i learned something new i guess.

Thanks for the heads up on where to buy a rock tumbler. once i get about a $100 in clad i will get one

Attachments

• august 07 021.jpg
    august 07 021.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 140
  • august 07 021.jpg
    august 07 021.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 136

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dont buy a plastic one too noisy get a rubber one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread