Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mrs.oroblanco said:
I don't do graveyards.

Yesterday I passed on my best hit of the day - the detector was "screaming" quarter (in an old fairgrounds from wild west days), but I just couldn't get past the dog poop sitting on top of it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

B

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago, only I didn't notice the dog poop until I was kneeling in it to recover a target. Not a good way to start a hunt. I found myself wondering if dogs don't have some sort of innate sense when it comes to finding metal targets..maybe that's why they like to pee on fire hydrants ;D

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
mrs.oroblanco said:
Yesterday I passed on my best hit of the day - the detector was "screaming" quarter (in an old fairgrounds from wild west days), but I just couldn't get past the dog poop sitting on top of it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

B

poop doesnt taste bad as long as you dont put it in your mouth! ;)

faced with that situation i would just scoop under the dogpile and fling it out of the way. no problem. unless it was a very large pile! the coin is buried so chances are its unscathed.

makes you wonder eh? dogs with their keen sense of smell... maybe its like "I POOP ON HUMAN!"

HEHEHE

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

Digging in graves is just wrong. Native Americans especially they are real close to the spirit world and consider that stuff very spiritual. They need those things in the after life for many reasons. So if you take it they get very upset and can disrupt your life easy and haunt you to death. :o I respect the Native Americans very much, for their respect for nature and other things living. This is also respected by the Gods, so Native Americans are in no doubt very Spiritually Powerful people and not ones to mess with in that realm.

Keep @ it and HH!!

TORPEDOX

Aug 23, 2007
Payette Id.
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT
I wouldn't dig a grave yard,,, but in my area there are several places where you can stiil see the tracks from the old Oregon trail. I would love to detect those areas but they are strictly OFF LIMITS to detecting. :'( and really I dont understand ??? because in my way of thinking, it should be the way it is in England. If you find something,,you let the state review it then they can purchase it from you if it is considered a national treasure. wouldn't that be better than just letting historical items just rot away???

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORPEDOX said:
I wouldn't dig a grave yard,,, but in my area there are several places where you can stiil see the tracks from the old Oregon trail. I would love to detect those areas but they are strictly OFF LIMITS to detecting. :'( and really I dont understand ??? because in my way of thinking, it should be the way it is in England. If you find something,,you let the state review it then they can purchase it from you if it is considered a national treasure. wouldn't that be better than just letting historical items just rot away???

My Opinion on why.

We are not near as old as England.
Most of our History, as far as Metal Objects
is already Documented. The Museums here
do not Want or Need most of the things we dig.
Even the ones from the 15th Century.
The only ones who want them are the archaeologists,
and they arn't willing to pay Fair Market value for something
they can Convince the Government already belongs to them,
by Saying "it belongs to Everyone" :P

Besides Do you Think any of them want us to Prove they have been Wrong, that Columbus didn't Discover America.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see someone else knows Isabel, Isabel......you wouldnt happen to have the entire copy of that story/poem by chance...I think it in itself is a treasure from my childhood and would love a copy of it.
Al

Also you can sell the bones to Giants who grind their bones to make their bread.

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
deepskyal said:
I see someone else knows Isabel, Isabel......you wouldnt happen to have the entire copy of that story/poem by chance...I think it in itself is a treasure from my childhood and would love a copy of it.
Al

Also you can sell the bones to Giants who grind their bones to make their bread.

Google Ogden Nash for more poems. But here you go. Some treasures are simple. :)

Adventures Of Isabel

Isabel met an enormous bear,
Isabel, Isabel, didn't care;
The bear was hungry, the bear was ravenous,
The bear's big mouth was cruel and cavernous.
The bear said, Isabel, glad to meet you,
How do, Isabel, now I'll eat you!
Isabel, Isabel, didn't worry.
Isabel didn't scream or scurry.
She washed her hands and she straightened her hair up,
Then Isabel quietly ate the bear up.
Once in a night as black as pitch
Isabel met a wicked old witch.
the witch's face was cross and wrinkled,
The witch's gums with teeth were sprinkled.
Ho, ho, Isabel! the old witch crowed,
I'll turn you into an ugly toad!
Isabel, Isabel, didn't worry,
Isabel didn't scream or scurry,
She showed no rage and she showed no rancor,
But she turned the witch into milk and drank her.
Isabel met a hideous giant,
Isabel continued self reliant.
The giant was hairy, the giant was horrid,
He had one eye in the middle of his forhead.
Good morning, Isabel, the giant said,
I'll grind your bones to make my bread.
She nibled the zwieback that she always fed off,
And when it was gone, she cut the giant's head off.
Isabel met a troublesome doctor,
He punched and he poked till he really shocked her.
The doctor's talk was of coughs and chills
And the doctor's satchel bulged with pills.
The doctor said unto Isabel,
Swallow this, it will make you well.
She took those pills from the pill concocter,
And Isabel calmly cured the doctor.

Ogden Nash

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Hey,

Digging in graves is just wrong. Native Americans especially they are real close to the spirit world and consider that stuff very spiritual. They need those things in the after life for many reasons. So if you take it they get very upset and can disrupt your life easy and haunt you to death. :o I respect the Native Americans very much, for their respect for nature and other things living. This is also respected by the Gods, so Native Americans are in no doubt very Spiritually Powerful people and not ones to mess with in that realm.

Keep @ it and HH!!

I guess digging all those mummys was ok. They would use mummys to fuel trains by burning them over in Egypt. Europeans and Americans did not have a problem with that. I see nothing wrong with digging up an ancient burial ground. If I found one I would not dig it myself but I would report it. Funny how time changes things. White Americans killed indians by the thousands so they can have land and all of a sudden, we respect their burial grounds. For historys sake and by preserving the indians heritage, I say dig. To dig up just to take any artifacts and sell them, I am against it.

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
SWR said:
oldplacesnofinds said:
I guess digging all those mummys was ok. They would use mummys to fuel trains by burning them over in Egypt. Europeans and Americans did not have a problem with that. I see nothing wrong with digging up an ancient burial ground. If I found one I would not dig it myself but I would report it. Funny how time changes things. White Americans killed indians by the thousands so they can have land and all of a sudden, we respect their burial grounds. For historys sake and by preserving the indians heritage, I say dig. To dig up just to take any artifacts and sell them, I am against it.

The Mummy thing...you know its not true, dontcha? And, you do know that Indians killed Indians long before white folks did...right?

The mummy thing is very true, I read it in history books and saw it on short films. The African tribes are killing each other daily right now. Should we go and kill thousands of them and take over Africa?

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
SWR said:
oldplacesnofinds said:
SWR said:
oldplacesnofinds said:

The Mummy thing...you know its not true, dontcha? And, you do know that Indians killed Indians long before white folks did...right?

The mummy thing is very true, I read it in history books and saw it on short films. The African tribes are killing each other daily right now. Should we go and kill thousands of them and take over Africa?

A Mark Twain novel, perhaps?

"And in The Innocents Abroad (1869) Mark Twain passed on the claim that the fuel for Egyptian trains “is composed of mummies three thousand years old, purchased by the ton or by the graveyard for that purpose, and that sometimes one hears the profane engineer call out pettishly, ’D_m those plebians, they don’t burn worth a cent—pass out a king!’” Not bloody likely; but Twain’s yarn was soon taken for gospel far and wide."

I don't live in Africa, but that's a fine example of indigenous people killing each other for land.
I have read Mark Twain but I am sure I read it in my history books too. I will have to check.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
http://home.cfl.rr.com/crossland/AncientCivilizations/Ancient_Egypt/Mummies/mummies.html

"In Victorian England people flocked to see a mummy being unwrapped! Doctor Pettigrew at the Royal College of Surgeons provided very popular unwrappings. Even on a bitterly cold January night, tickets were sold out and many important people could not get in. Not even the Archbishop of Canterbury! Refreshments were served after the "performance," just as if it were a theater show. One of Pettigrew's mummies turned out to be a fake – rags and sticks wrapped up in bandages.

Some Unusual (But True!) Uses for Mummies . . .

1. As magic powder

King Charles II of England (1630 – 1685) used to collect the dust and powder that fell from collections of mummies. He would rub this powder into his skin, all over. He believed that the "ancient greatness" of the mummies would rub on to him.

2. As fuel

So many mummies were dug up in the 1800's that they became common and worthless. Some were burned as fuel for steam trains when wood and coal were short supply. Poor people in Thebes used the bandages to heat their ovens.

3. As ornaments

A display case with the hand or foot of a mummy became a very popular ornament for Victorian mantelpieces.

4. In witchcraft

William Shakespeare knew about it; "mummy" is an ingredient in the Witches' Brew in the play, MacBeth.

5. In painting

Sixteen-century artists believed that adding powdered mummy to their paint would stop it from cracking when it dried.

6. As medicine

From the early 13th century AD till well into the 17th century, Egyptian mummies were chopped up and fed to sick people as a cure. It was used for people with all sorts of diseases, as well as broken bones and as a cure for poisoning. So many mummies had left Egypt by the late 16th century that the Egytian mummy-sellers then made fake mummies out of any bodies laying around! ( A French visitor reported seeing 40 fake mummies in a mummy factory.)

7. The English scientists, Sir Marc Armand Ruffer, thought he could learn about the diseases of ancient Egypt by testing bits of mummies. He found the Egyptians suffered many of the diseases we do today.

8. In paper making

Paper made from cloth (rag paper) has always been valued as high-quality paper. A traveling Egyptian tribe called the Bedouin would steal mummies and sell them to paper-making factories. The American paper-manufacturer, Augustus Stanwood, was still importing mummies at the end of the 19th century to turn the bandages into paper. The stained bandages made poor writing paper but was fine for brown paper. It was sold to butcher and grocers as wrapping paper. An outbreak of the deadly disease, cholera, was traced to the mummy bandages, so the scheme was stopped. Several people died . . . the mummies' revenge?

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
We are getting off track a little but I looked into the mummy thing more and it is 50-50. Some are claiming it is true and others are not.

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV, Bounty Hunter QD II
Well here it is in a nut shell Native American burial grounds, and any cemetery regardless of what kind, were it is located or who is buried there is OFF LIMITS.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Burial grounds and cemetaries are definitely off limits for me..Too much bad juju there for me to play around with. I would however like to detect disaster sites to return any jewelry and/or personal effects to the families of the victims involved. I know, it sounds bad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions