Advice to newbies to the metal detecting hobby.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, here are a few items. Other members please add to this list since I probably left out a something and even some major items.

Always carefully cover your holes. Carry out all the trash finds.

Prepare a “go bag” for all your accessories. I use a medium sized back pack with a grab handle. Thus I need only grab three things and go. My detector, my shovel and my “go bag”. Few things in my bag are: Spare batteries for pinpointer, pinponter, gloves, insect spray, earphones, swing harness for 15” coil use, finds pouch, yellow survey vest (to keep people from bugging me with questions when curb hunting), folding knife, hand trowel, snack bars, bottle of water. I don’t hunt with my back pack, it stays in the car.

Buy good gloves and use them to prevents cuts. I prefer the cloth with rubberized palm side texture.

Buy a high quality shovel suited for your type of digging. Watching videos can help you decide which is best for your type of hunting.

Spend time using research tools like Historic Aerials and Google Earth.
Talk to old timers in your area. They know where people used to gather that may not show up on any other research tools. Lodge members are a great source.

Understand that most metal detecting videos show only the good finds. What you won’t often see is long hunts, lots of trash. So don’t compare your results with edited videos designed to entertain and inform. Do learn some to the VID numbers and tones from the videos well produced.

Do not criticize people on the Forums. Just read and learn. You will soon learn which posters really know what they are talking about and learn from them. The occasional jerk on the forums will be run off by other members.

Don’t buy cheap pinpointers or other knockoff accessories or detectors from China. Will fail and no warranties.

If you have not purchased your detector yet, read the forums to find the one that will match your hunting preferences. Few detectors will hunt well all types of sites, eg gold nuggets, coins, beaches, under water. Ok, the Equinox 800 has maybe the best all around detector but there are others that are more specialized for relic, beach and gold nuggets and if you do most of your hunting in either relic, beach or gold go for the more specialized detector.

You have two learning curves. Learning metal detecting in general and learning your specific detector. If you buy a complex detector like some of the Minelabs be prepared to flounder in the field for several months if not longer as a dual newbie. A better choice would be to buy a mid-level priced detector like the excellent Garrett AT Pro or AT Max. They are easier to learn to use and master. After you master your mid-level detector you can sell it later and recover 70-80% of your detector cost and buy the more advanced detector you have had your eye on for months. Or keep the mid-level detector and buy your new detector.

In the beginning dig everything so you brain will learn to identify junk, good and iffy signals. A lot of very good detectorists always dig everything so that is another method that is quicker to learn and you rarely miss good targets. It takes more time to dig more. But the more you dig, the more proficient you become at digging and recovering targets.

Be safe. In the snake season, be aware of snakes and yellow jacket ground nests. There are two type of dances common to detectorists. The happy gold dance and I just stumbled into a yellow jacket’s nest dance, not so happy.

Learn your metal detector and coil theory. Questions like why a lower frequency is better for finding high conductor silver coins. You don’t need to know this, but it helps you set up your more complex detectors for different hunt types and sites.

Don’t Give Up too early. Keep in mind detecting is healthy exercise and a fun treasure hunt. The price of your detector does not always determine your quality of finds. The most important factor of your quality of finds is your hunting site selection and the hours you put in swinging your coil.

Finding and hunting with an experience amiable hunt buddy is a big plus.
Learn to control your coil and the different methods of identifying junk targets from good targets. If you join the dig everything crowd, then just swing correctly and don’t waste your time trying to puzzle out the good from the junk. But by digging everything you eventually will learn to separate the likely good from the likely bad targets before you dig.

If you have a more complex detector like the Equinox 800, learn to set it up properly for the best results depending on what and where you are hunting.

Learn to read the ground when relic hunting that will tell you are in areas where there was an old home site but with virtually no trace of it today above ground. Broken bits of pottery, charcoal or coke for fires, square nails and actual relics. Hunt those areas slow and even better in both directions.

Several large oak trees around a house sized empty space is a good clue for a once old home site. Daffodils or other perennial flowers that are not native to the woods are another good indicator of maybe a home site. Same goes for cedar trees or palmetto or palmetto like plants. Rock walls, depressions (maybe a cellar hole), stacked stones in a rectangle were often pillars for wooden homes. Fallen chimney stones or bricks or a pile of stones or bricks. And don’t overlook still standing or collapsed abandoned homes or out buildings in the woods.

Always get permissions on private property before you hunt.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you pulltabfelix! Your insights and advice are appreciated from another newbie and like Lunch Bag, I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.

I went with an F22 and knockoff pinpointer because they were inexpensive and if I didn’t enjoy the hobby then no big loss. The F22 reviews said that it was simple to operate so that I wouldn’t have the double learning curve that you mentioned. So far, I like the F22. It detects to a decent depth, is ergonomic enough for me, and discrimates enough for a novice, although I’m still learning to adjust the sensitivity. Only have a few hours on the ground, so I’m still in the “dig everything” group. If I like the hobby enough, I’ll definitely upgrade as you suggested.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulltabfelix, I think you really covered all the main points for a newbie. There are always personal adjustments to the pack along but otherwise Very Nice!:icon_thumright:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Good list. I will add a few :

a) Don't stick your fingers in light-sockets.

b) Don't buy Rolex watches from strange men wearing trench coats, that stand on street corners.

c) Send Tom_in_CA 30% of all the goodies you find.

Any other questions ?

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good list. I will add a few :

a) Don't stick your fingers in light-sockets.

b) Don't buy Rolex watches from strange men wearing trench coats, that stand on street corners.

c) Send Tom_in_CA 30% of all the goodies you find.

Any other questions ?

actually if you know the light socket is not connected to electrical power you can stick your fingers in the socket. But then are you really sure you turned off the breaker? ouch, oh s**T. Tom I sent you monthly finds finds fee of $147.16. did you get it? It was cash and coins in a white enveloped marked cash enclosed.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great list and advice Felix. Awesome job! There is one mistake in this thread. All funds and finds will now be directed to me instead of Tom and at only 25% it’s a better deal. :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Tom I sent you monthly finds finds fee of $147.16. did you get it? .....

Yes. The extortion money was properly received. After all, we wouldn't want there to have been any mysterious fires at your house. Or keying of your car (accidents *do* happen, after all). Thankyou. You can continue to hunt now.

.... to me instead of Tom and at only 25% it’s a better deal. :laughing7:

Aagghhh, But does your cousin Guido have the same muscle ? I don't think so .

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well written! Thank you for the insight!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice read, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I will add the following:

Do your best to not get discouraged because you re not finding many targets or not finding really nice and possibly somewhat valuable targets after a few times out or after even weeks or months or more of metal detecting. Most folks in this hobby did not find something special the first time out and sometimes even after the tenth or twentieth time out and you cannot expect to find something special every time out, although you can hope. As pulltabfelix noted, it takes time to not only learn your' metal detector but also takes time to learn how to swing the coil the right way, to learn the best places to search, to learn the signals, to learn what to look for on the surface and also in the soil when you dig and most of all, to learn what you have dug and if you don't know what you dug, then you have everyone on TNET to help you out with identification.

Last edited:

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good info provided so far. Here’s my 2 bottle caps worth.

Spend as much time as you can doing research on the detector your interested in purchasing. Use the forums and YouTube to for info and ask any and all questions you may have. If you can find a club or other Detectorists near you and see what they are using, most of us are willing to help the new comers. When I first started I got a good detector but it wasn’t good for what I needed it. It could do the job but not as good as I wanted. After a few months I finally figured out that I wanted to do beach hunting so I needed a waterproof detector that was able to detect in salt water. Knowing where you want to hunt or what should be the first thing on your list. Hope this helps somebody avoid the mistakes some of us made.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you pulltabfelix! Your insights and advice are appreciated from another newbie and like Lunch Bag, I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.

I went with an F22 and knockoff pinpointer because they were inexpensive and if I didn’t enjoy the hobby then no big loss. The F22 reviews said that it was simple to operate so that I wouldn’t have the double learning curve that you mentioned. So far, I like the F22. It detects to a decent depth, is ergonomic enough for me, and discrimates enough for a novice, although I’m still learning to adjust the sensitivity. Only have a few hours on the ground, so I’m still in the “dig everything” group. If I like the hobby enough, I’ll definitely upgrade as you suggested.

Kindest regards,

Kantuck

Hi, But you all ready doing something right .If your unsure what a target is dig it . Ground is never the same in one area . So how does any md make the corrected response on a target. TP

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulltabfelix, nice job and kind of you to take time out to help others!

What are your feelings about a planted garden of test objects and of course a simple diagram of what is planted where, at what depth?

Thanks in advance...............63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions