What would they do without toilet paper? These young'uns...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I must be getting "old". I remember rotary phones, Pay phones and dial up internet that made high pitched squeals, use a tape recorder to play the dial up tones. :laughing7:

My grandmother still has a rotary phone on a coffee table in her basement. I doubt it works but when I was there last I noticed the line was still plugged in. I remember sneaking down into her basement to call girls when I was in middle school. :laughing7: Still remember one of the numbers to this day!! :laughing7:
You aren’t that old, my town of 170k still has the occaisional party line, ‘cause I work on em every now and then. Some people in rural areas still subscribe to dial-up internet. Also, some elderly folks that convert to digital VOIP (to save a few bucks) sometimes cancel that service because you can’t dial out on the one rotary phone in the house, and they don’t want to give that phone up!

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't watch it, but I can imagine how it went.

To be fair, it would probably be equally funny to challenge an average adult in the seventies to construct a log cabin, or that same individual today (now an old timer) to reconfigure a cell phone. The human/technology mismatch is always fun, but it has always been there.

My coworkers marvel at my ability to open a can with an actual can opener - not a P-38, but something similar. It's not a skill that I learned as a child in the seventies though. I learned it last year, and only because I liked the idea of having a can opener on my keychain. While I remember how to use a rotary phone, I do not like the idea of having one today. Those things were ridiculous when they were invented and the years have not been kind to them.

Love the P-38 aka John Wayne they work well as a screwdriver flat or phillips in a pinch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread