Lumbercamps

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
I've found an old camp, and have only scratched the surface detecting it. It seems every time I go back, I find more and more opportunities. I mean this site takes in probably 60 or more acres. There are at least a dozen cellar holes. There also was a small gauge railroad that ran thru it.
I guess what I'm asking is, what is the typical size of a Michigan lumber camp. Should I look for a route that wagons took in and out of it? It seems that it probably didn't depend solely on the railroad.
I would like to thank everybody on this forum. This is actually my first year pursuing this hobby. I'm amazed at the insights and experience that you folks have, and how openly you share them. I'm also amazed at how many opportunities there are out there to metal detect.
Thanks again
Muleskinner

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I often hunt old lumber camps out here in Idaho. Haven't found one as big as you describe, however. Lots of old iron relics - stove parts, tools, axe heads, etc. I'd hunt intensely around any area that appears to have been a building site as that may (or not) turn up an old coin. Also walk any old road you can identify. You never know what you'll find until you dig, but that's a big part of the fun. One other thought, there should be an old dump in the area and where you find rusty cans, you usually find OLD bottles. Actually, that's what got me started detecting.
HH
Bill

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
muleskinner , Please keep us posted on how you make out. North of me are quite a few older ore and lumber camps that I have been researching but, not ventured to yet. Interested on what type of finds you pull up. have fun, Joe

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
muleskinner said:
I've found an old camp, and have only scratched the surface detecting it. It seems every time I go back, I find more and more opportunities. I mean this site takes in probably 60 or more acres. There are at least a dozen cellar holes. There also was a small gauge railroad that ran thru it.
I guess what I'm asking is, what is the typical size of a Michigan lumber camp. Should I look for a route that wagons took in and out of it? It seems that it probably didn't depend solely on the railroad.
I would like to thank everybody on this forum. This is actually my first year pursuing this hobby. I'm amazed at the insights and experience that you folks have, and how openly you share them. I'm also amazed at how many opportunities there are out there to metal detect.
Thanks again
Muleskinner

I am suprised at that many cellarholes with a lumber camp. I would think that you have found a small settlement that perhaps a lumbercamp grew up around. I dont know if Michigan camps are different,but here the camps only had maybe one /two cellar hole under the kitchen,mess cabin.
It sounds like you hit on something a little bigger and I cant wait to see what you get from there.

OP
OP
muleskinner

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Thanks for the replies. This location has puzzled me since we found it. It actually started with one rather obvious cellar hole, and has grown to a much larger area.
We've found some bottles and such, but they are probably 250 yards from most of the holes. I have always wondered how such a tract of private land could have wound up in the middle of public land. There is no power within a very long way of this property. I just figured that when the lumber was gone, there was still some buildings, so somebody purchased the land. Perhaps some tried homesteading, although this seems to date maybe 10-15 years after most other areas were homesteaded.
Hey Gypsy thanks for your reply. I didn't have the foggiest of how big a lumbercamp would be. I do know that there is an old railroad grade running along the back portion of the property. I will do my best to take some pictures after the spring thaw, as it's deer hunting time in Michigan.
Please feel free to continue sharing insights as I will benefit from all.
Muleskinner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions