Need a Machanics Advice!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that if the O.P. does all of the checking that has been recommended and if the truck still will not start, it might just be that the crankshaft position sensor that he purchased and installed as it might just be a bad part. However, another often overlooked item is the Camshaft Position Sensor which is important with the truck's engine starting as the timing and spark are likely controlled by the cam. There are a lot of videos and links with instructions, so I am not going to give a link to any of them but have given a link to the Google Search for testing a Camshaft Position Sensor and the O.P. can check them out.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=tx.....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0j0i22i30.aPAsDeMYY4E

Last edited:
OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love pickups of that generation. I'd love to own a 66 Chevy with a 283. My first pickup was a 65 Ford in grad school. Despite little power from the 6 cyl, and poor fuel economy to boot, I have fond memories of it. I've had pickups for all but one year of the last 42 years. I had a 2001 Chevy with the 5.3 like the OP's GMC. Only problem I ever had was a sticky throttle body that required frequent cleaning. Capable & comfortable truck for long trips and for towing a boat.

One thing that I really liked about the 62 that I had, was when you drove over those speed bumps, it felt like you just flowed over them as if you were on air, (Of coarse not going too fast).
And another thing, That 235, straight 6 sure did have some power. If I wanted to I could easily burn rubber. But as has already mentioned it did guzzle the gas.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And don’t forget front wheel drive!

Don't forget pancake engines with their horizontally opposed cylinders (Subaru, Porsche, some older VWs).

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,being an ASE certified Master Automobile Technician(cough cough...a-HEM!) I kinda have to jump in here. It’s an unfortunate part of today’s world, but it is COMPLETELY possible to get a “bad” or non-functional brand new part. It doesn’t happen every day but it happens more than you’d think.
FIRSTLY...GM trucks of this vintage are notorious for fuel pumps croaking. You have to check for fuel pressure to make sure it is sufficient. IF you had to re-wire the connector at the pump, which is very common, you have to double check and make sure it works correctly by running the fuel pressure test. Report back when this is done with the result.

I was thinking the same thing...check and make sure the pump you purchased is not a dud! On more than one occasion i have purchased bad parts. Coming from a non mechanic, you may want to try starting another truck. If the new truck runs then problem solved!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Holes rusted through top of tank rob pressure too...
JB weld and I patched a bunch on one truck.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
And don’t forget front wheel drive!

And what about those Zero Turn Mowers? From the name, one would think that you can only mow in a straight line. You ever tried to pick one of those damn things up and move it over 48 to 54 inches to make another swipe backwards and forwards and don't get me started on picking one up to turn it around??!!:laughing7:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking the same thing...check and make sure the pump you purchased is not a dud! On more than one occasion i have purchased bad parts. Coming from a non mechanic, you may want to try starting another truck. If the new truck runs then problem solved!

So you are saying that the O.P. should purchase another truck, right?:icon_scratch::laughing7:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
150k for a Chevy truck is a lifetime. That truck is already on borrowed time sorry to say, it will just be a money pit from here on out more than likely, I've been there many times trust me.
Chevrolet hasn't built good quality vehicles since the early 70's. The money most companies use for development and research has to be used to pay union pensions so they keep the same old junk technology and keep using junk parts to stay solvent until the next round of bailouts.
My dad bought a new celebrity station wagon in 1980 and come to find out later the air cleaner system installed was not correct. The motor was toast after 2 years of sucking dust and they said sorry, out of warranty.
He stood out in front of Kent brown Chevrolet in Topeka for a week with a sign that read "they built my Chevy wrong and wont fix it" before they would do anything. Once they realized business had stopped with him standing out there they finally agreed but it was a bad ordeal altogether and alot of tension.
These are the things that give American companies a bad name and reasons we cant compete when it comes to quality.
Once you go foreign you'll never go back!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
150k for a Chevy truck is a lifetime. That truck is already on borrowed time sorry to say, it will just be a money pit from here on out more than likely, I've been there many times trust me.
Chevrolet hasn't built good quality vehicles since the early 70's. The money most companies use for development and research has to be used to pay union pensions so they keep the same old junk technology and keep using junk parts to stay solvent until the next round of bailouts.
My dad bought a new celebrity station wagon in 1980 and come to find out later the air cleaner system installed was not correct. The motor was toast after 2 years of sucking dust and they said sorry, out of warranty.
He stood out in front of Kent brown Chevrolet in Topeka for a week with a sign that read "they built my Chevy wrong and wont fix it" before they would do anything. Once they realized business had stopped with him standing out there they finally agreed but it was a bad ordeal altogether and alot of tension.
These are the things that give American companies a bad name and reasons we cant compete when it comes to quality.
Once you go foreign you'll never go back!

A GMC Truck which is what the O.P. has is like night and day in comparison to a Chevy Truck! Most GMC's are built better and last longer than Chevy's even though they are part of the same corporation. I would never buy a Chevy unless it was a Antique Classic Car like a 55, 56, 57, 58, possibly a 60, a 64 and several years of the Nova's and SS Chevelles or a late 60's to early 70's Pickup and especially a 1957. While I like some of the Foreign Cars for their' looks and dependabilty, I stay mainly with Ford's. My' 1999 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Standard Cab 4x4 with the 3.0 liter Flex Fuel Engine and 5-Speed Manual Transmission is the best truck or vehicle for that matter that I have ever owned. I have owned it for almost 18 years now and it never had a major repair up until my daughter blew the engine in it at 319,631 miles. It is currently sitting in the yard with another 3.0 liter engine in the bed waiting to go in.

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Theres not a difference where it matters. I had an 06 GMC Savannah van and after 2 years the entire front end was worn out, needed Pittman arm and idler arm both, complete junk. Gm mechanic told me the front ends aren't very heavy duty at all and it's a reoccurring problem with their trucks. And no grease zerts anywhere to service.
Gmc and chevys are different in name, same parts.
I've been happy with some fords that I've had. My work truck is a 2016 dodge ram 4500 and I've been through a few of them. Pretty much worn out at 60k but we pull trailers everyday and haul heavy loads.
Mostly it's all the plastic that fails first. The washer fluid fittings that are mounted under the hood snap off when you close it, electric windows come off the tracks every few months because of plastic clips inside the door, things like that.
My fuel cap and def cap rattles off at the slightest bumps almost daily! The turbos last til about 60k miles then need replaced.
For 60k I'd expect alot more from a big truck like that but they are mostly plastic too!
Best truck I ever had was a 1970 f250 ranger 3/4 ton with a 390 and i still have it. Theres nothing like those old trucks! Easy to work on and not as much plastic.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A GMC Truck which is what the O.P. has is like night and day in comparison to a Chevy Truck! Most GMC's are built better and last longer than Chevy's even though they are part of the same corporation. I would never buy a Chevy unless it was a Antique Classic Car like a 55, 56, 57, 58, possibly a 60, a 64 and several years of the Nova's and SS Chevelles or a late 60's to early 70's Pickup and especially a 1957. While I like some of the Foreign Cars for their' looks and dependabilty, I stay mainly with Ford's. My' 1999 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Standard Cab 4x4 with the 3.0 liter Flex Fuel Engine and 5-Speed Manual Transmission is the best truck or vehicle for that matter that I have ever owned. I have owned it for almost 18 years now and it never had a major repair up until my daughter blew the engine in it at 319,631 miles. It is currently sitting in the yard with another 3.0 liter engine in the bed waiting to go in.

The only differences between GMC trucks and Chevy trucks are minor variations in equipment levels with different trim lines. All parts are the same and interchange. Some local GMC dealers tend to also sell and service large trucks like International, leading some people to the impression that GMC is a heavier duty truck than the same Chevy. The perceived difference between the two badges is part of automotive mythology.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The only differences between GMC trucks and Chevy trucks are minor variations in equipment levels with different trim lines. All parts are the same and interchange. Some local GMC dealers tend to also sell and service large trucks like International, leading some people to the impression that GMC is a heavier duty truck than the same Chevy. The perceived difference between the two badges is part of automotive mythology.

Heavy half G.M.C. was pretty much the c-10 equivalent.

Were G.M.C.'s tougher? L.O.L..
Mine was ,of course.
76 half ton. Put a crate motor in it as the rest of it was decent after many miles.

Rolled it through a ditch and would have completed an end-o if not for trees.
Hammered the roof back up. Bent the doors to close again.
A plastic champagne cork replaced whatever held the tranny linkage to the frame for a while after.
Had another cab,front clip and fenders for it but a divorce interrupted.
Not an automobile smooth ride , but I'd be tempted to get in line if they duplicated such trucks today.
Sit under the hood and tune it up....

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys forgot one.the Saab crap whose engine is in backwards.the belts are between the firewall and the engine block.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh yeah cant forget the euro nightmare designs. Its almost like they took all the good ides that actually worked, then reversed it all. Over engineered and a headache to perform basic maintenance, if you can afford any parts at all! The only ones that win with those cars are the mechanics and parts stores!

Florida Rat

Greenie
Dec 7, 2018
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ex GM master tech here. Lots of crazy ideas in this thread :laughing7:

Those era GM's had a fairly common problem with ground G102, which feeds the coils. It's located near the place your negative battery cable bolts to the engine block, below the driver's side exhaust manifold. Make sure those grounds are tight, and check continuity from the coil's black wire to ground.

If it's a bad part causing no-spark it would probably be crank OR cam sensors (two seperate things), or ignition module.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that I got here late, but make sure to check the spurving bearings on the turbo encapsulator. This video should help!!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check all of your fuses first. !! And also check to see if you have fusible links. They look just like a wire and when they blow you don't always see it. The insulation can stay in tact and drive you nuts

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that I got here late, but make sure to check the spurving bearings on the turbo encapsulator. This video should help!!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

And this must be one of those guys that tells his' wife to make sure she checks the fluid in the tail lights on her' car!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread