PENNSYLVANIA as no luck would find it, my part of state lacks variety finds

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I no this sounds complaining and waste of time, but I get jealous when I watch YouTube and read magazines and say dam can’t find that type of thing in my area. I live in Mercer county pa, border Trumbull county Ohio, you don’t have to be an expert, the fact is for reasons of history and events didn’t occur here. So it’s tiring going to same parks, lake shores, woods. Heck I belong to historical society so I do my homework but same results lost pocket change and many scrap cans etc, so what do you recommend I do I go slow I enjoy being outdoors no hurry. Oh may it’s what it is, appreciate your ideas, yes I look at maps, I love going out then I say where didn’t I go within reason, thanks.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to do some door knocking in the older parts of towns. I am in Northern Ohio and dug a 3 ringer locally also was amazed to dig a 1780 real. Heck the town I reside in was not inhabited by settlers until 1818. You are East of me so you should have more ability to dig older things.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyplace people pulled out change prior to 1964 is of interest to me.

Fairgrounds? Picnic areas? Old circus grounds?

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot of militias and CW stuff went on with PA. Maybe you haven't found the right areas

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you tried Penn Pilot yet? Google the website, enter Mercer, Pa and select the 1930’s aerials. Click the red dot on the map where you want to see the old aerial photo. This site helped me a ton, you can also use Google Earth and overlay the old aerial photos. Takes time, but it will allow you to find lost home sites extremely accurately. Good luck!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ssheesskk, and the way some east coast posts go : I thought east coast guys pulled LC's, busts, and colonials coppers out of every sandbox ? :dontknow:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I no this sounds complaining and waste of time, but I get jealous when I watch YouTube and read magazines and say dam can’t find that type of thing in my area. I live in Mercer county pa, border Trumbull county Ohio, you don’t have to be an expert, the fact is for reasons of history and events didn’t occur here. So it’s tiring going to same parks, lake shores, woods. Heck I belong to historical society so I do my homework but same results lost pocket change and many scrap cans etc, so what do you recommend I do I go slow I enjoy being outdoors no hurry. Oh may it’s what it is, appreciate your ideas, yes I look at maps, I love going out then I say where didn’t I go within reason, thanks.

LOL sort of the same thing with My area .
when it comes to researching, via Internet.
Except of course what I've added myself through TreasureNet,

Most of my researched info comes from Local centennial Histories, And word of Mouth

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really do appreciate all your information and experiences, I could be wrong but I don’t no how much civil war activities where in my surrounding counties, obviously endlessly research but this isn’t rocket science, penn pilot and google overlay maps, but would u agree if I go door knocking at some of these older farms, fields with crops that get plowed over yearly do they often have miscellaneous items to, hey guys appreciate your time

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really do appreciate all your information and experiences, I could be wrong but I don’t no how much civil war activities where in my surrounding counties, obviously endlessly research but this isn’t rocket science, penn pilot and google overlay maps, but would u agree if I go door knocking at some of these older farms, fields with crops that get plowed over yearly do they often have miscellaneous items to, hey guys appreciate your time

my area has no Civil war activity, but occasionally Miniballs show up at School Sites.
most likly bought at Gettysburg & Brought for Show & Tell.

Buckles , & Buttons From Civil War Veterans are found occasional also

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If you are up for door knocking, then you should do well in your area. Looks for old brick or wood homes / barns with stone foundations exposed, those will be from the 1800’s. Many of these early 1800’s homes sent their sons off to fight in the CW. You might get lucky and find some buttons. I usually find 2 or 3 CW buttons a year at sites like this and I am 60 min south of you. You will also have the best chance for finding old coins and relics at these homes, but you will have to dig through a century of modern drops and garbage. Can be tuff. Good luck!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it is like this i live in the area of N.W. Pa.& N.E. Ohio on lake Erie . There is no gold here no silver here and really no history here it is really tough to find good items here.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you tried Historic Aerials yet? For some reason the maps split years in your hometown but just to the north of you (Sharpsville) they go back to 1908. Plus if you have a waterproof detector, have you tried hitting up the old/new swimming holes? Not many folks go in the water but many jewelry & coin finds are there.

And I know you're part of the historical society there so I'm just throwing out ideas because I have found relics & coins at these places as well: picnic sites, camping sites, river/creek lets in & outs, old wagon trails, popular fishing sites, any old creek/river crossings, old train depots, etc. Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

I agree it gets frustrating sometimes but all it takes is one great find and that'll keep you going. Patience is key, I think that is why many folks give up. Plus just as you eluded to, detecting is great exercise and I flat out love being outdoors.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your favorite find thus far?

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes one of the pleasures of metal detecting is being outdoors it’s peaceful, get away from all the static of the everyday wackos, dam people in general make me tired, they look like lost souls and it’s depressing, but I don’t get upset when I come home empty handed, oh and I don’t mind getting dirty either, it’s like fishing sometimes u get get something sometimes u don’t, u ever check out that America diggers magazine guys, thankyou

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No civil war activity in Lorain County Ohio, but soldiers returned home and many may have brought bullets home with them as well as their uniforms so buttons, belt buckles and bullets may be in the ground. If you are thinking of hunting fields, the ones that produce the most are the ones where a house once stood. Back in the day farms were smaller since they were plowed with horses. Today's farms are bigger since they incorporated many smaller farms from the past.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ssheesskk, and the way some east coast posts go : I thought east coast guys pulled LC's, busts, and colonials coppers out of every sandbox ? :dontknow:

When the colonials were in circulation this part of NY (and western PA) was the "Wild Frontier" and west of the Fort Stanwix Line. Off limits by King George because of treaties with the "friendlies".

1768-treaty-map.jpg

Falling over Barbers and other silver, though. ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread