Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: PENNSYLVANIA as no luck would find it, my part of state lacks variety finds

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Observer

Aug 2013
    Wastelands
    Whites DFX
    194 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

PENNSYLVANIA as no luck would find it, my part of state lacks variety finds

I no this sounds complaining and waste of time, but I get jealous when I watch YouTube and read magazines and say dam canít find that type of thing in my area. I live in Mercer county pa, border Trumbull county Ohio, you donít have to be an expert, the fact is for reasons of history and events didnít occur here. So itís tiring going to same parks, lake shores, woods. Heck I belong to historical society so I do my homework but same results lost pocket change and many scrap cans etc, so what do you recommend I do I go slow I enjoy being outdoors no hurry. Oh may itís what it is, appreciate your ideas, yes I look at maps, I love going out then I say where didnít I go within reason, thanks.
    jeff of pa and Keppy like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    16904 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    You need to do some door knocking in the older parts of towns. I am in Northern Ohio and dug a 3 ringer locally also was amazed to dig a 1780 real. Heck the town I reside in was not inhabited by settlers until 1818. You are East of me so you should have more ability to dig older things.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11333 times
    Metal Detecting
    Anyplace people pulled out change prior to 1964 is of interest to me.

Fairgrounds? Picnic areas? Old circus grounds?
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    8773 times
    Lot of militias and CW stuff went on with PA. Maybe you haven't found the right areas
    Loco-Digger likes this.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    7811 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Have you tried Penn Pilot yet? Google the website, enter Mercer, Pa and select the 1930ís aerials. Click the red dot on the map where you want to see the old aerial photo. This site helped me a ton, you can also use Google Earth and overlay the old aerial photos. Takes time, but it will allow you to find lost home sites extremely accurately. Good luck!

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10023 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    ssheesskk, and the way some east coast posts go : I thought east coast guys pulled LC's, busts, and colonials coppers out of every sandbox ?
    Keppy and Loco-Digger like this.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro PointerÖÖ Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    31156 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by 49er12 View Post
    I no this sounds complaining and waste of time, but I get jealous when I watch YouTube and read magazines and say dam can’t find that type of thing in my area. I live in Mercer county pa, border Trumbull county Ohio, you don’t have to be an expert, the fact is for reasons of history and events didn’t occur here. So it’s tiring going to same parks, lake shores, woods. Heck I belong to historical society so I do my homework but same results lost pocket change and many scrap cans etc, so what do you recommend I do I go slow I enjoy being outdoors no hurry. Oh may it’s what it is, appreciate your ideas, yes I look at maps, I love going out then I say where didn’t I go within reason, thanks.
    LOL sort of the same thing with My area .
    when it comes to researching, via Internet.
    Except of course what I've added myself through TreasureNet,

Most of my researched info comes from Local centennial Histories, And word of Mouth
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Dec 2003
    31156 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Jan 16, 2019 at 06:21 PM.
    Keppy and milmar like this.

us
    Observer

Aug 2013
    Wastelands
    Whites DFX
    194 times
    Really do appreciate all your information and experiences, I could be wrong but I don’t no how much civil war activities where in my surrounding counties, obviously endlessly research but this isn’t rocket science, penn pilot and google overlay maps, but would u agree if I go door knocking at some of these older farms, fields with crops that get plowed over yearly do they often have miscellaneous items to, hey guys appreciate your time
    jeff of pa and Loco-Digger like this.

Dec 2003
    31156 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Really do appreciate all your information and experiences, I could be wrong but I don’t no how much civil war activities where in my surrounding counties, obviously endlessly research but this isn’t rocket science, penn pilot and google overlay maps, but would u agree if I go door knocking at some of these older farms, fields with crops that get plowed over yearly do they often have miscellaneous items to, hey guys appreciate your time
    my area has no Civil war activity, but occasionally Miniballs show up at School Sites.
    most likly bought at Gettysburg & Brought for Show & Tell.

Buckles , & Buttons From Civil War Veterans are found occasional also
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    7811 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Really do appreciate all your information and experiences, I could be wrong but I donít no how much civil war activities where in my surrounding counties, obviously endlessly research but this isnít rocket science, penn pilot and google overlay maps, but would u agree if I go door knocking at some of these older farms, fields with crops that get plowed over yearly do they often have miscellaneous items to, hey guys appreciate your time
    If you are up for door knocking, then you should do well in your area. Looks for old brick or wood homes / barns with stone foundations exposed, those will be from the 1800ís. Many of these early 1800ís homes sent their sons off to fight in the CW. You might get lucky and find some buttons. I usually find 2 or 3 CW buttons a year at sites like this and I am 60 min south of you. You will also have the best chance for finding old coins and relics at these homes, but you will have to dig through a century of modern drops and garbage. Can be tuff. Good luck!
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2654 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Well it is like this i live in the area of N.W. Pa.& N.E. Ohio on lake Erie . There is no gold here no silver here and really no history here it is really tough to find good items here.
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2654 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    ssheesskk, and the way some east coast posts go : I thought east coast guys pulled LC's, busts, and colonials coppers out of every sandbox ?
    Not in my area....
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

us
    Apr 2011
    Wisconsin
    Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus & BlissTool
    838 times
    Metal Detecting
    Have you tried Historic Aerials yet? For some reason the maps split years in your hometown but just to the north of you (Sharpsville) they go back to 1908. Plus if you have a waterproof detector, have you tried hitting up the old/new swimming holes? Not many folks go in the water but many jewelry & coin finds are there.

And I know you're part of the historical society there so I'm just throwing out ideas because I have found relics & coins at these places as well: picnic sites, camping sites, river/creek lets in & outs, old wagon trails, popular fishing sites, any old creek/river crossings, old train depots, etc. Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

I agree it gets frustrating sometimes but all it takes is one great find and that'll keep you going. Patience is key, I think that is why many folks give up. Plus just as you eluded to, detecting is great exercise and I flat out love being outdoors.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your favorite find thus far?

us
    Observer

Aug 2013
    Wastelands
    Whites DFX
    194 times
    Yes one of the pleasures of metal detecting is being outdoors it’s peaceful, get away from all the static of the everyday wackos, dam people in general make me tired, they look like lost souls and it’s depressing, but I don’t get upset when I come home empty handed, oh and I don’t mind getting dirty either, it’s like fishing sometimes u get get something sometimes u don’t, u ever check out that America diggers magazine guys, thankyou
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links