aeromed73

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2018
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been metal detecting now for a little over a year and really enjoy it and the places I discover. One of the things I keep wondering about is while detecting if a straw blade of grass or pine straw contacts detector plate it pings in the 80's and will sometimes go absolutely nuts where I have to turn the detector off to make it stop. I've read everything I can find to troubleshoot but nothing like it is mentioned. Any ideas or is this normal?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is normal, if you lower your sensitivity it will clear up a lot but remember lowering sensitivity also lowers the depth you get.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes it is normal, it is what we call falsing, if you do as TH says it should resolve the issue.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you take a detector outdoors where it is silent and hold it out horizontal and tap the coil with your hand (firmly but not a slap - no jewelry on your hand or arm) it should not beep.

Sometimes windings in the coil are not right and it will give false readings when bumped. I think they call that a "microphonic" coil fault.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used an Ace250 for a couple years and what you are describing would happen if I was near some kind of electrical interference. Could be visible overhead lines or buried or invisible dog fence. The A250 would also give a beep if you bumped the coil into something, but not go crazy like you are describing, this happened with electrical interference.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure the connections are tight too...Ive seen it before where it goes nuts and the coil connection was loose.

Good luck!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO:

Check the following: Coil connection at the control box, coil scuff cover for dirt...etc. and firmly secure your coil wire. I run my coil wires 12" - 15" straight up the shaft securing with velcro every 6" - 8", then wrap to the coil box. I hope you do not have a bad coil.

GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread