To Veterans - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: To Veterans

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    4564 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeVal View Post
    I’m a non combat vet USAF ‘69-‘73. My father was a wounded combat vet from WWII. He never talked to me or any of my four other brothers about his experiences, and we all respected that, knowing that he saw and experienced things that none of us could comprehend or empathize with. The quiet ones dealt with their deamons in their own way, and took them to their graves with them.

After our father died, his Purple Heart and shrapnel from his body went to my eldest brother who never served. I was the only one of five who served, and served voluntarily. It’s something that’s always bothered me, but not something I ever felt worth alienating him to possess for myself. Combat or non combat, veterans are all brothers in arms...something my biological brothers could never understand, nor could I ever explain. I quietly deal with.
    Thank You for sharing your family story Joe....That seems so strange to me that you wouldn't of been the one to inherit your fathers military medals...since you were the only one who served and followed in his footsteps. Or that your brother wouldn't have given them to you.

I'm sure your dad was proud of you for serving.

My father had a lot of friends and extended family... After he passed, I gave each of these guys something that belonged to him that was specific to that relationship they had.

A brother of his, that he wasn't close to got mad about me doing that, saying that since he was his brother... he should of had first right on these things. I disagreed since they weren't close and never did anything together or had any of the same interests. I did give him something but he didn't like that I gave other things to extended family and friends.

Kace

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    4564 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by devldog View Post
    Kace, God Bless you for getting your Dad and his buddy back together again after all those years. It sounds like after rejoining, the two veterans were able to come to grips with a lot of what they had seen years younger as young soldiers during the war. It sounds like they were able to have found some peace that was lacking for some time. I'm sorry that they have both since passed, but you were able to get them together once again and I'm sure this was time well spent and time treasured between the two Vet's and Friends. What a great gift you gave them.
    Devl...That means so much for you to say that...Thank You! I really debated if that was the right thing to do or if we should just let it go. If Mom hadn't said that he talked about his buddy a lot for a few years after coming home and he hadn't said the things he did to me specifically about him...I probably wouldn't of made contact.

Afterwards, I'm sure it was the right thing to do and was great for both of them. I'm definitely glad my Mother was there to nudge me a bit...I know it meant a lot to both of them to meet again under much different circumstances and be able to talk freely about things that nobody else in their lives could know about.

Kace

us
    Feb 2010
    1251 times
    Thanks to all Vets.
    My Dad was a WW2 Navy vet.. He talked openly about his service. His ship got credit for sinking a German U boat. He felt somewhat badly about that but his attitude was "If they could have killed me they would have."
    He had contact post war with one shipmate across the state and that was it. Years later, I took my lunch once a week at a Public Housing location. In the Community area were donated magazines. I don't remember if it was a V.F.W. mag. or Am. Legion but in the back, in the classified section, was a list of Ship's Reunions and reunions for different Armed Service's. There is a clearing house for those in Jefferson City,MO.. Anyway, I contacted the clearing house and got info for Dad's ship's reunions. I called him that night and asked if he remembered "so and so" (Dad served on the Gustafson DE 182, a small ship with 125 or so compliment, not like a big ship with a couple of thousand). No, he couldn't remember. I told him "Well, he's the guy in charge of your ships reunion." Dad thought a min. & said "Oh hell, Chief so and so!" I told him I'd found the number so give him a call. Mom said he sat for a half an hour (I'm sure screwing up his courage) then called the Chief. They talked for the best part of an hour. Dad was too late to attend that year, but went to every one after that until he died. Mom & Dad even hosted one at Branson,MO., where several went to have their memory's recorded for the National Archive. They really roll out the Red Carpet for Vets in Branson.
    I know those reunions were a good thing for my Dad. I went to the one the Folks hosted and those old men and their wives were transported back in time 40 years. Good luck.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    745 times
    Relic Hunting
    I don't believe our Vietnam Vets were given the same respect from some people as was due them. I don't get that.

lots of factors. It was basically an undeclared war. Drafting young men who didn't want to go. No clear objectives. Our troops were hand tied by politicians. Never start a war in a country that borders China (we should have learned that in Korea).
    did not give our draftees good training. Our troops who now fight in the middle east are 1000% better trained and equipped than those sent off to Vietnam with minimal training. National guard and reservists were not called up to fight, they were truly weekend warriors (not trying to diss them, it just the way it was. Today Our NG are the best trained in the world). Media was showing pictures of young dead American soldiers by the hundreds every single week. Corrupt allies in South Vietnam. Somehow all this SH**t flowed down to the innocent American soldier who was just trying to do their duty and come out the end alive and all in one piece.

I served during that time period of 1965-67. But fortunately the luck of the draw kept me out of Vietnam during my Army service. I have tremendous respect for those who did serve in Vietnam. They were put in an unwinnable situation by the politicians and then dumped the blame on the common soldier. Some of the higher ups like Lyndon Johnson (who broke up the black family homes by requiring no male can live in the home with women and children receiving welfare in his great society), his secretary of defense who was good with numbers and logistics but couldn't fight his way out of a girl scout pack and finally General William Westmoreland who lied, and lied about how we were winning the war while we were getting our asses kicked). I know this for a fact because in my Army MOS I saw all the top secret Vietnam battle reports and enemy estimates that they totally contradicted Westmoreland's statement to the press resulting in more dead American boys. Sorry for the soap box speech but that period of our Army history just pi**es me off big time. So sorry for all the wounded and dead veterans who suffered needlessly.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus / XP ORX / MI-6 /
    7484 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Thank you to all veterans and all that you gave for your country and it’s people. Thank you especially for our Freedom.
    DeepseekerADS, T.C., Kace and 2 others like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18310 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeVal View Post
    I was the only one of five who served.
    Try not to be bitter my friend, a very long time tradition = elder brother rules..... Goes back through all of human history.

My older brother believes he still rules me, and he ain't seen the things I've seen.
    Kace, Duckshot, RustyGold and 2 others like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    5690 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    Try not to be bitter my friend, a very long time tradition = elder brother rules..... Goes back through all of human history.

My older brother believes he still rules me, and he ain't seen the things I've seen.

Well yes, that's true. But the theorem is that you are statistically likely to outlive your older brother, and if so you will have plenty enough time to badmouth him after he is dead.

If that's what you want to do. Chances are you wont.
    Last edited by Duckshot; Jan 28, 2019 at 06:26 AM.
    DeepseekerADS and Kace like this.
    Liberty is the Freedom to do the next Right thing.

In God We Trust

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18310 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckshot View Post
    Chances are you wont.
    You're right about that. I WILL mourn his passing, but will NEVER badmouth the butthole
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

us
    Jun 2013
    Northern Illinois, Fortaleza Brazil
    Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett Ace 250, 2 Garrett Pro Pointers gotta have a backup
    70 times
    I am a Vietnam vet and proud of it.. The time was anti war, your drafted, you went and served, when you came back your were a baby killer and a jerk. It was a no win for the us. The only people that considered you a hero was family. No fan fare, no recognition. That was then.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    18310 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fortaleza View Post
    I am a Vietnam vet and proud of it.. The time was anti war, your drafted, you went and served, when you came back your were a baby killer and a jerk. It was a no win for the us. The only people that considered you a hero was family. No fan fare, no recognition. That was then.
    Welcome home my friend. Please check out the veteran's forum here on TNet. It's all over now, and we are Senior Citizens! Good Lord how did we get so old!
    Kace, RustyGold, devldog and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    12603 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Deep,
    Speaking of PTSD, my younger brother, a Navy LT. was assigned to a Delta river boat. He'd wait in the boat during the night, manning the radio, while others did their night (what he called) a Walk in the Park (recon missions); returning before dawn to their base. That affected him so much (hours alone on the boat) that he signed up for a second tour. Upon getting out, neither of us spoke in any detail of what we had seen or experienced; yet, even after 50 years, some memories will never be forgotten--good ones and bad ones.
    Don....

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    1489 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    PTSD? That came along after my time. We didn't have PTSD, we were just F'd up in our heads.
    Absolutely accurate, DeepseekerADS! One was just "F'd up". As used in a sentence; "Yeah, the war really F'd him up!" Unfortunately, PTSD has been hijacked today by the media. Now, if a kid gets hit hard on the football field, he probably has PTSD and qualifies for some government subsidized "counselling". Everyone is a victim. Sorry for the rant.
    dts

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    4564 times
    You are a Hero to me fort! All of You Vets are!

Thank You!

Kace

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus / XP ORX / MI-6 /
    7484 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Thank you for your service and our freedom Fort!

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    21095 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    As a double tour Vietnam veteran,, I'm proud to say, that no one who served in Vietnam has anything to be ashamed of. I never felt good about how we were treated when we came home. I lived in NYC and there were a lot of veterans up there who served in Nam.
    In May, 1985, Mayor Koch pushed a wheelchair across the Brooklyn Bridge towards the Canyon of Heroes.
    In the wheelchair was John Beehon. He lost both legs in Nam. He was awarded the Medal of Honor. Twenty Five Thousand Vietnam Veterans marched down Broadway through ticker tape and confetti. Tears in my eyes. 10 years late but finally a little respect.
    "NEVER AGAIN WILL ONE GENERATION OF VETERANS ABANDON ANOTHER"
    Thank you Kace
    Last edited by against the wind; Jan 29, 2019 at 12:58 PM.
    devldog, Kace, RustyGold and 2 others like this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links