Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: New detector hype - a cautionary tale

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2014
    NJ
    Whites Spectra V3i, Whites MX5, Whites BH 300, Whites MX Sport, Tek Europro, Tesoro Compadre, Makro Multi Kruzer .......... No longer own....... Etrac, CTX3030, G2, Fisher F4 Tesoro Bandido
    263 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I think Pulltabfelix made several excellent points, and subsequent posters have done the same.

There was a lot of hype about the Equinox; to some degree there still is. The results show both machines to be excellent though, and I have no reason to think otherwise. Still, I chose not to become a buyer – for a number of reasons. Among those reasons is my prior experience with the Etrac and the CTX 3030.

I just didn’t gel with those machines. I found it more bothersome to understand them than it was worth, and I’m fairly well convinced that I’d find the same thing with the Equinox. It’s not that they’re difficult to learn, it’s that they don’t speak to me in the manner that my current machines do.

For me, metal detecting is a hobby. And hobbies should be fun. Sure, I like finding good stuff – that is the point of the hobby (to some degree anyway) – but it is difficult to enjoy oneself if you aren’t tuned in to your machine.

When I’m asked, by someone new to the hobby, which machine they should get, I always suggest that they practice swinging several different machines so they can see which machine feels best, and which machine “speaks their language.”

The right machine for me may not be the right machine for them.

I am convinced that location is far and away the most important factor when it comes to being successful at dirt hunting. Behind location, in my view, is experience with the machine used. A distant third is the machine itself.

I believe that a well seasoned detectorist, who knows his/her machine inside and out, would easily out hunt me (same location) no matter what machine I was using. I believe that would hold true even if I was using the top-of-the-line machine (name the brand) and my competitor was using an entry level machine.

I likewise believe I would out hunt a novice – no matter the machine they are using – with any of my current machines (location being the same).

I don’t believe there is a machine, currently on the market, that would significantly improve my ratio of good finds – not for the type of hunting I do anyway. I do believe that my ratio of good finds can be better increased by locating better places to hunt, and learning my current machines inside and out.

Having said all that I must admit that I love new toys. I try to relegate my toy purchases to those toys that fill a void in my current arsenal – sometimes I actually succeed. I am looking forward to the new machines coming out (Nokta/Makro and Fisher) but time will tell if I decide that either of those new machines can scratch any of my itches.
    RustyGold and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    19540 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    The BEST sites for me have been the ones that are not on any map. For instance. A friend of mine buys a farm. It overlooks a railroad that has been around since about 1850. Legend and the history books say the Confederates were on a hilltop about 1 mile away and the Yanks chased them off. Wrong. We found NOTHING on that hilltop, however on my friends' farm, well, that's where they were! We had no idea. The history books were "off". Case #2-Colonial town, now abandoned and gone. Except for one building. What everyone missed was the untouched house site 3/4 mile away on the outskirts of said town. And on and on it goes. That's where the magic is - thinking outside of the box! A virgin Civil War site previously unknown and a colonial home, no one knew existed. Priceless. And all true.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3699 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    The BEST sites for me have been the ones that are not on any map. For instance. A friend of mine buys a farm. It overlooks a railroad that has been around since about 1850. Legend and the history books say the Confederates were on a hilltop about 1 mile away and the Yanks chased them off. Wrong. We found NOTHING on that hilltop, however on my friends' farm, well, that's where they were! We had no idea. The history books were "off". Case #2-Colonial town, now abandoned and gone. Except for one building. What everyone missed was the untouched house site 3/4 mile away on the outskirts of said town. And on and on it goes. That's where the magic is - thinking outside of the box! A virgin Civil War site previously unknown and a colonial home, no one knew existed. Priceless. And all true.
    Great point! Or the early settlers who built cabins and those structures were gone by the time the maps were done. I bet theres tons of undocumented homesteads deep in the woods!......or even right off main roads.
    Hawks88 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    19540 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    HighVDI, in the case of the colonial house it is 75' off a major road. You nailed it. On the same property we found a small campsite used it seems by 1600, before Maryland was officially settled. The Spaniards were there. History tells us they visited, but we found a small camp from them.

us
    Jan 2013
    SouthwestVirginia
    755 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    What we read is not always accurate. A few years ago I got on a new spot and located a virgin 1700's fort. There were so many signals at first I left that part of the property cause I thought it was interference from the high power lines directly overhead. At the end of the day, disappointed from not finding anything in other areas, I went back and, on a hunch, dug some of those "interference signals" and they were ALL actual targets and I had absolutely no interference at all from the power lines and never to this day. Anyway, from old 1800's photos marking the fort location with flags I 100% lined it up with that location to verify it was the 1700's fort (I even have some photos with me in them from the exact angle of the 1800's photos,standing where the flags were. I turned the photos black and white to mimic the old photos.) What is so funny though is a historical marker places it on another hilltop about 1000 feet away. So you are very correct in how written history can sometimes get information incorrect. I couldn't resist getting photos of that historical marker either.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10020 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Worm-Slicer View Post
    What we read is not always accurate. A few years ago I got on a new spot and located a virgin 1700's fort. There were so many signals at first I left that part of the property cause I thought it was interference from the high power lines directly overhead. At the end of the day, disappointed from not finding anything in other areas, I went back and, on a hunch, dug some of those "interference signals" and they were ALL actual targets and I had absolutely no interference at all from the power lines and never to this day. Anyway, from old 1800's photos marking the fort location with flags I 100% lined it up with that location to verify it was the 1700's fort (I even have some photos with me in them from the exact angle of the 1800's photos,standing where the flags were. I turned the photos black and white to mimic the old photos.) What is so funny though is a historical marker places it on another hilltop about 1000 feet away. So you are very correct in how written history can sometimes get information incorrect. I couldn't resist getting photos of that historical marker either.
    excellent post !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links