New detector hype - a cautionary tale

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with the hype statement by smokey his post. This past Feb and Mar of 2018 I really got caught up in the Equinox hype (and boy was there a lot of hype on the forums and on youtube). So I sold my AT Pro and purchased an Nox 800.
what a surprise I was in for. Had no idea that it had such a learning curve. It has now been almost a year and I am just now feeling like I really know the machine.

I think all will admit the 800 is one of the most all around versatile machine for the price point. But I think had I taken more time and figured out which machine would be best for my current type of hunting which is coin, parks, relics then I would have been better served by an XP Deus or Etrac. Well live and learn. I will give the 800 some more time. Lately the hunts have been more pleasurable because I know the machine and know the sounds of good targets and bad targets pretty well. I know the importance of ground balancing, noise canceling and sensitivity adjustment in make it a quiet running machine and still keeping decent depth capabilities. Tin can lids, screw caps and can slaw still have to be dug. I will admit I learned more about metal detecting with the 800 than with using all other of my past detectors combined. the 800 kind of forces you to really pay attention to mastering it.

Many of the experienced guys on this and other forums urged caution last spring against jumping in on any new machine. Wise advice indeed. Unfortunately I didn't listen to the sage advice but the exciting hype.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the hype statement by smokey his post. This past Feb and Mar of 2018 I really got caught up in the Equinox hype (and boy was there a lot of hype on the forums and on youtube). So I sold my AT Pro and purchased an Nox 800.
what a surprise I was in for. Had no idea that it had such a learning curve. It has now been almost a year and I am just now feeling like I really know the machine.

I think all will admit the 800 is one of the most all around versatile machine for the price point. But I think had I taken more time and figured out which machine would be best for my current type of hunting which is coin, parks, relics then I would have been better served by an XP Deus or Etrac. Well live and learn. I will give the 800 some more time. Lately the hunts have been more pleasurable because I know the machine and know the sounds of good targets and bad targets pretty well. I know the importance of ground balancing, noise canceling and sensitivity adjustment in make it a quiet running machine and still keeping decent depth capabilities. Tin can lids, screw caps and can slaw still have to be dug. I will admit I learned more about metal detecting with the 800 than with using all other of my past detectors combined. the 800 kind of forces you to really pay attention to mastering it.

Many of the experienced guys on this and other forums urged caution last spring against jumping in on any new machine. Wise advice indeed. Unfortunately I didn't listen to the sage advice but the exciting hype.

ETrac costs twice as much and is twice as complicated to operate, it is a great detector no doubt, I use to own one and sold it when I bought my 3030. I added the Equinox to my arsenal in June.

Never used a Deus, but I do have a hunting partner who owned it and bought an 800, after about 4 months he sold his Deus.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There really is no BEST machine. Really. And every manufacturer hypes their brand beyond redemption. That said, you just have to have the targets in the ground, not get picky and dig them! It really, really, really is that simple. Vferrari and I were out at the ocean today. He used his Equinox 800. I used the Deus. We each got 2 cents. We just didn't get the coils over the shipwreck gold coins. (300 miles on the truck for 2 cents.) Priceless. And a guy from where I used to work hit it right a few weeks ago and got a handful of shipwreck copper coins! That's just how it is.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ETrac costs twice as much and is twice as complicated to operate, it is a great detector no doubt, I use to own one and sold it when I bought my 3030. I added the Equinox to my arsenal in June.

Never used a Deus, but I do have a hunting partner who owned it and bought an 800, after about 4 months he sold his Deus.

Depends where you use these detectors. The Equinox 800 is very good allrounder but for coinshooting in parcs my Deus is serves me much better. I dig less garbage with the Deus then the Equinox and it hit's better on coins at my opinion.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think some people just click with certian machines better than others. Honestly, after learning how to get through the menu the actual beeping came as a snap for me. So many variables.

It's lived up to the hype for myself so far.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think some people just click with certian machines better than others. Honestly, after learning how to get through the menu the actual beeping came as a snap for me. So many variables.

It's lived up to the hype for myself so far.

I agree. Usually, I’m detecting on the beach so I prefer the Equinox. The Deus is no slouch there either especially with the small HF Elliptical coil.
Coming from previous Minelab detectors, It was easier to get along with the Equinox a little faster than expected.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two machines. That's really all I need, the primary one and a backup, just in case. I tried the Equinox and it hurt my arm due to it's design (nose heavy). If you already have arthritis everywhere, I just can't tolerate a machine that is heavy, in any way. If there were 100 pound gold nuggets only one of the huge GPX machines could find and they were everywhere, I just wouldn't be able to do it! I need a light weight machine now. My Tesoro Cibola fits that bill also and it is perfectly balanced.

I sometimes look at another machine, but as I'm finding stuff, it really wouldn't make any difference.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two machines. That's really all I need, the primary one and a backup, just in case. I tried the Equinox and it hurt my arm due to it's design (nose heavy). If you already have arthritis everywhere, I just can't tolerate a machine that is heavy, in any way. If there were 100 pound gold nuggets only one of the huge GPX machines could find and they were everywhere, I just wouldn't be able to do it! I need a light weight machine now. My Tesoro Cibola fits that bill also and it is perfectly balanced.

I sometimes look at another machine, but as I'm finding stuff, it really wouldn't make any difference.

Thanks for that information. I was considering an 800 in addition to my Deus. I got the Deus because of it's light weight and balance.

rook74

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2017
SE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro, Tesoro conquistador
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been setting on the decision to upgrade for the last year (aka add to the stable) from my tesoro and AT pro I've been using for the last 4 years. I've been using the nox for the past 2 weeks since I've ordered it and have really enjoyed getting to know it and use it. I look at it like guns, I like 'em all and cant have just one to enjoy.

My other excuse for another detector was the fact my wife has been showing interest and hung right in there diggin holes at the other end of the field with the at pro

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... I would have been better served by an XP Deus or Etrac. ....

Pulltab-felix. I enjoyed your post. My hunting partner and I are having this type pro/con discussion lately. And I agree with you, that in a LOT of ways, the 800 was merely a move "sideways", at best. When compared with a machine like the Etrac . Can't speak for the Deus, as I've never used one of those.

But , yes: Unless someone is into nuggets or micro-jewelry, then sure: The Etrac can do most all other functions. But nuggets & micro-jewelry are two very exclusive niches that ... maybe don't apply to some people's hunt needs.

And the depth on coin-sized targets is arguably only the same, at best. So to me, that only leaves a few possible benefits to changing:

a) is it better at iron-see through/averaging ? (for ghost townsy type sites?). Yes. Perhaps so. I currently simply reach for my Tesoro 2-filter machine for such conditions. But sure, it would be nice to have it in one package.

b) Can/does it "favor" mids and low conductors ? (Versus Etracs which favor silver and high conductors). If so, then that would make it a better beach machine. Such that , at the end-of-the-day, if a lot of beach targets had been deep, and if all other conditions/target spread being equal: Perhaps the 800 guy would have the higher ratio of nickels in his coin count ? If so, then that makes it a better beach machine. On the Etrac, II, 3030, etc... you have to "concentrate" more, to hear the foil-range signals.

c) Can it be made to work better in nasty wet-salt -black sand ? If so, I've seen some zones, after storms, where my Exp. II can only reach 1" deep in those gun-powder blackish grey conditions.

But for scores of other hunt types, you're right : It's only a step sideways.

Last edited:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see the Nox 800 as a step "sideways". It puts some new technology and great performance into our hands at a very affordable price. Not everyone can afford a CTX or even an Etrac. This is a win-win IMHO, both for Minelab, and for the hobbyist. I am not a "cool aid" drinker! I do my research first, wait a bit to see if it really lives up to the "hype" or not, then make my purchase. It may not be for everyone though.

Is there a learning curve? Yes of course there is, as there is with any new machine. I don't think it should take a year to learn though, unless you only hunt once a month or something. I guess my sage advice to anyone would be to not get rid of your AT Pro (or whatever machine), until your'e fully comfortable with whatever new one you get. If it doesn't work out for you after that, then sell it. It appears to me that the Nox 800 has met or exceeded most people's expectations.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have both the equinox and the Deus, love them both for different reasons. the deus is my primary go to detector unless in water. I am able to hunt in the iron better with the Deus plus the weight difference is crazy better for my arm/shoulder/back. I also have programs to hunt how I want to hunt, very versatile machine. love my HF coil

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s my two cents from a newbie since July 2018...

I own two previously owned machines, both manufactured in 2018...Garrett AT Max and Equinox 600. I was able to acquire each of them for $500 apiece, and the 600 was owned by TWO previous owners in less,than six months. IMHO, I found both easy to setup and operate, and I plan on keeping both of them. I just bought a used 5x8 coil for the Max, so I’m covered for an awful lot of detecting scenarios. Both of them have found coins down to 12”, and the 600 hit a clad quarter at 14” like it was just below the surface.

If I had to make a recommendation for a newbie, I would tell them to go with the Equinox, as it’s the better deal for the money. While the 800 has some nice advanced features, both the 600 & 800 hit at the same depth. IMO, the AT Max is now severely overpriced for its performance, and is priced based in its level of popularity, particularly among YouTube diggers who get free machines and/or are Garrett dealers. I’m always wary of "celebrities" promoting equipment, especially when they have a vested financial interest in said promotion. JMHO. I find reviews from owners who paid for their machines as having more validity...that’s just me, YMMV.

Another reason for getting the Equinox is the option to add aftermarket wireless components without purchasing an expensive proprietary interface from Garrett. I have a pair of Miccus SR71 low latency headphones for the Equinox that cost $59, and pair like any other Bluetooth device on current electronic equipment...industry standard! I also use my $26 Taotronics BH024 low latency earbuds that work the same on the 600, for when I don’t want a full cover wireless listening device. Neither of these wireless devices can be used with the proprietary Z-Lynk system without the Garrett receiver...I’ve tried! IMO, making industry standard items like Bluetooth technology into a proprietary interface is somewhat arrogant and, dare I say, greedy. Yes, the Max comes with wireless headphones, but you can’t use earbuds or non Garrett headphones if something happens to them.Youre stuck with Garrett or their interface.

Minelab hit a winner with the Equinox pair, and have changed the retailing face of metal detecting equipment. Technology gets less and less expensive every day, and the smart manufacturers will take advantage of it to grow their sales. IMO, Nox sales will surpass AT Max sales in 2019, unless Garrett drops their price or comes up with a model/package to compete with the Nox kids. They better not dally, because I’m sure someone else out there is working on the next better, faster, deeper, less expensive device to bring to market. They need to,learn what American auto makers didn’t learn until it was to late for them to react. It’s a global marketplace.

I digress...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear a lot about "price break". For me, I do not see price break as a big consideration since I only have so much time to dig and want to maximize the time. I mean, what is the lil' old gold coin you missed because you went with a less expensive machine worth, right? That's not a consideration, is it? Or the CW plate down 15"? And that refers to ALL brands, although my best gold coin was found with a turn on and go $329 Tesoro Cibola, which I still have. You just have to go out and give it your best shot, do not overthink the machine, keep it simple and don't try to reprogram a machine the first 6 months you have it and dig it all. For me, I don't see any machine on the market right now I would NOT consider as a lateral, that is, sideways move or a downgrade. And for all the cool aid drinkers out there, and as my bud V says, there ain't no magic wand out there.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, there's no magic wand. And as a Tesoro owner/user, I also have to say that once you become "one with the machine" on one... your'e a force to be reckoned with. You still have to get the detector over the good targets, which I believe is another "skillset" to learn as well.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Pulltabfelix made several excellent points, and subsequent posters have done the same.

There was a lot of hype about the Equinox; to some degree there still is. The results show both machines to be excellent though, and I have no reason to think otherwise. Still, I chose not to become a buyer – for a number of reasons. Among those reasons is my prior experience with the Etrac and the CTX 3030.

I just didn’t gel with those machines. I found it more bothersome to understand them than it was worth, and I’m fairly well convinced that I’d find the same thing with the Equinox. It’s not that they’re difficult to learn, it’s that they don’t speak to me in the manner that my current machines do.

For me, metal detecting is a hobby. And hobbies should be fun. Sure, I like finding good stuff – that is the point of the hobby (to some degree anyway) – but it is difficult to enjoy oneself if you aren’t tuned in to your machine.

When I’m asked, by someone new to the hobby, which machine they should get, I always suggest that they practice swinging several different machines so they can see which machine feels best, and which machine “speaks their language.”

The right machine for me may not be the right machine for them.

I am convinced that location is far and away the most important factor when it comes to being successful at dirt hunting. Behind location, in my view, is experience with the machine used. A distant third is the machine itself.

I believe that a well seasoned detectorist, who knows his/her machine inside and out, would easily out hunt me (same location) no matter what machine I was using. I believe that would hold true even if I was using the top-of-the-line machine (name the brand) and my competitor was using an entry level machine.

I likewise believe I would out hunt a novice – no matter the machine they are using – with any of my current machines (location being the same).

I don’t believe there is a machine, currently on the market, that would significantly improve my ratio of good finds – not for the type of hunting I do anyway. I do believe that my ratio of good finds can be better increased by locating better places to hunt, and learning my current machines inside and out.

Having said all that I must admit that I love new toys. I try to relegate my toy purchases to those toys that fill a void in my current arsenal – sometimes I actually succeed. I am looking forward to the new machines coming out (Nokta/Makro and Fisher) but time will tell if I decide that either of those new machines can scratch any of my itches.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The BEST sites for me have been the ones that are not on any map. For instance. A friend of mine buys a farm. It overlooks a railroad that has been around since about 1850. Legend and the history books say the Confederates were on a hilltop about 1 mile away and the Yanks chased them off. Wrong. We found NOTHING on that hilltop, however on my friends' farm, well, that's where they were! We had no idea. The history books were "off". Case #2-Colonial town, now abandoned and gone. Except for one building. What everyone missed was the untouched house site 3/4 mile away on the outskirts of said town. And on and on it goes. That's where the magic is - thinking outside of the box! A virgin Civil War site previously unknown and a colonial home, no one knew existed. Priceless. And all true.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The BEST sites for me have been the ones that are not on any map. For instance. A friend of mine buys a farm. It overlooks a railroad that has been around since about 1850. Legend and the history books say the Confederates were on a hilltop about 1 mile away and the Yanks chased them off. Wrong. We found NOTHING on that hilltop, however on my friends' farm, well, that's where they were! We had no idea. The history books were "off". Case #2-Colonial town, now abandoned and gone. Except for one building. What everyone missed was the untouched house site 3/4 mile away on the outskirts of said town. And on and on it goes. That's where the magic is - thinking outside of the box! A virgin Civil War site previously unknown and a colonial home, no one knew existed. Priceless. And all true.

Great point! Or the early settlers who built cabins and those structures were gone by the time the maps were done. I bet theres tons of undocumented homesteads deep in the woods!......or even right off main roads.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HighVDI, in the case of the colonial house it is 75' off a major road. You nailed it. On the same property we found a small campsite used it seems by 1600, before Maryland was officially settled. The Spaniards were there. History tells us they visited, but we found a small camp from them.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

What we read is not always accurate. A few years ago I got on a new spot and located a virgin 1700's fort. There were so many signals at first I left that part of the property cause I thought it was interference from the high power lines directly overhead. At the end of the day, disappointed from not finding anything in other areas, I went back and, on a hunch, dug some of those "interference signals" and they were ALL actual targets and I had absolutely no interference at all from the power lines and never to this day. Anyway, from old 1800's photos marking the fort location with flags I 100% lined it up with that location to verify it was the 1700's fort (I even have some photos with me in them from the exact angle of the 1800's photos,standing where the flags were. I turned the photos black and white to mimic the old photos.) What is so funny though is a historical marker places it on another hilltop about 1000 feet away. So you are very correct in how written history can sometimes get information incorrect. I couldn't resist getting photos of that historical marker either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread