aeromed73

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2018
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Through studying old maps and talking to numerous people I have located a very small village that was burned down during Sherman's march that been largely forgotten. It's literally in the middle of the woods with absolutely nothing around but forest. I've found the foundation stones for a couple houses, a small store, and an old church dating back to 1784. No building are present. The land is corporation owned and I have been granted permission to metal detect.

The only thing still there is a very old graveyard. Most of the headstones and markers are so worn I cant make out anything on them.

I have zero intention of MD'ing in or near the graveyard but am curious about whats a respectful distance to stay from it.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can only speak for myself, but I would feel comfortable detecting
up to the outer boundaries of the cemetary. Cemeteries usually
have some type of wall, fence or structure that defines the area
of the cemetery..staying outside of that should be OK.

Kudo's for doing the needed research to locate that old town.
Hope you find a treasure of goodies they left behind..8-)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck on the new site! :occasion14:

In regards to graveyards, just stay outside the boundaries. If no markings are found use your good judgement. :icon_thumleft:

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Can only speak for myself, but I would feel comfortable detecting
up to the outer boundaries of the cemetary. Cemeteries usually
have some type of wall, fence or structure that defines the area
of the cemetery..staying outside of that should be OK.

Kudo's for doing the needed research to locate that old town.
Hope you find a treasure of goodies they left behind..8-)
I conpletely agree with this.

I try my best to stay outside the perimiter "burial ground"......solely because others may frown upon things and whine about it.

Personally, although i don't feel it' truly immoral, I wouldnt desecrate an actual grave by digging a plug, simply because I don't want to.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you would have to dig pretty deep most of the time to be disturbing the actual grave. There is no telling how many times we have detected and dug over a grave that has been lost to time. A maintained or enclosed cemetery is obvious. We have a rock walk way that has an old tombstone, face down in it. It was a discarded one that was replaced by a newer and better one nearly a hundred years ago. the family had replaced it and they had thrown it away. My family were caretakers of the cemetery and still keep it in order. Respect the site as best as you can but remember that even in cemeteries, maintenance occurs in and around the graves.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everything that's been said. Just another thought... maybe place a stake at each of the four corners that you consider to be the boundaries of the cemetery, In that way, you can show anybody that you fully respect the cemetery. Sometimes onlookers need some form of actual proof, otherwise they can assume things and we all know how that works out in the end. Best of luck detecting there and let us all know how you've done!

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Give or take the size, era, and lifespan of the cemetery itself, to me the the area outside the actual burial grounds is more desirable anyhow.

The buggy lot, hitchin post, two-holer, picnic area, shade tree, walkways, Things of that nature.

ETA: I guess I mean.....Huggies!!!! and hankies weren't just graveside. A cemetery was also kinda like a party spot, just not a happy party. I always pictured it more like a church gathering. And consider there were bigger springtime burial parties, when the ground finally thawed enough for the spring planting of the skull orchard, they had a winters worth of seeds, and no time to waste.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread