Questions about Deek Gladson and his friends?

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was Deeks final home address? Also has anyone ever wrote a biography of any of them or where there any autobiographies on him or his friends? Also anyone have any links to newspaper clippings of the fire and did anything survive. Did they ever catch the person or have any really good suspects?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were Deek Gladson and Carl Von Muller the same person just different pen names because of contracts with other companys

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've read many publishers wouldn't pay or print many articles from one person so him and others would write under different names and apparently Karl was one of Deeks.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Treasure Manuals #6 and #7 by van Muler but there is no record of manuals #1 through #5

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what others have told me on here there is no 1-5, i know its weird to start with 6. I don't think there are any after 7.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOPE but they are FANTASTIC READING !!!

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
I'm a big fan of Karl Von Mueller aka Deek Gladson, aka Charles Dean Miller. IMO he is the patron saint of modern metal detecting --- full stop. I currently own #6, #7 (which are distinctively different), 'Sudden Wealth' --- my favorite and 'The Master Hunter Manual'. The latter is basically just a puff piece written to promote Garrett's top of the line BFO metal detector from the early 1970's. In there though is some great advice on metal detecting including the earliest description I know of on the "Halo Effect." I've also read his 'Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure' and the 'Treasure of the Valley of Secrets' which was the only disappointment in the whole bunch.
A rumor goes that KVM and Garrett had some type of falling out. After that Garrett asked KVM to remove the last part of the original #6 describing how to make your own metal detector. Then some treasure hunters felt like KVM was giving away too many of their secrets and his publishing office was burnt to the ground including most of his research. This set back was said to have hastened his death back in January of 1990. His last address I believe was in a small town called Segundo, CO. The real expert on this guy and his works here on T-Net is Old Bookaroo who I think reprinted 'The Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure shortly thereafter.
There's a reason why KVM's books are in short supply and in high demand on Ebay.
HH
-spyguy

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, was his real name Gladson or miller?

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miller

addendum: Deek Gladson was a spin of his wife's name, Gladys Deekson.

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, it gets confusing at times lol.