Headlamps .. who uses them? I need a new one!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 18650 are expensive - but can be recharged maybe 300 times. So that's 20 years if you use the headlight 2 hours a day. ;-)

I have a Fenix PD30 that is maybe eight years old and I am still recharging that original 18650 Lithium cell. Use that light LOTS (it's on my nightstand right now).

I don't like a light that is too bright because usually when I need a light it s to work on something with my hands. Too bright dazzles the eyes.

For shooting, just enough to see the white or dot sights. I've held the PD30 in the same hand as the forearm of my pump .22 many, many times for chicken coop raiders when I wasn't using the headlamp.

I guess if you were spotlighting something 200 yards away you'd need a gigalumen headlamp.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah Sadly, in my case . . .

641-08638522en_Masterfile.jpg

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I want a bright one because I spend a lot of time tramping through the deep woods at night. I am not detecting or anything, mainly just hiking. I love the critters you see in the woods at night, but I do want to see them. It also makes a great time to scout. There ain't nothing like a stroll through the woods at night!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 18650 are expensive.

Two 18650 batteries with charger costs $15

Six AA Alkaline batteries cost $8.

Recharge them once and you have broke even on the cost.
Not very expensive really. I’d say extremely inexpensive.

Alkaline batteries need to just go away. They are such a waste compared to modern batteries.

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nightcore concept 1. If you wear a ball cap it clips to the bill 1800 lumens 18650 rechargeable battery. Best light I've ever owned.

I have 3 Nitecore lights. 2 p12's and a mh24 all powered by the 18650 battery. My backyard is over 3 acres and they light it up like a ball field. Very dependable lights. They have as much power as my big hand help spot light.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two 18650 batteries with charger costs $15

Six AA Alkaline batteries cost $8.

(I was being a little facetious if you look at the whole reply. I LIKE 18650 batteries!). :tongue3:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m a little slow like that.

Couple pennys each cycle not counting electricity to charge them.
I just learned about them not long ago. They look good on paper.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want a bright one because I spend a lot of time tramping through the deep woods at night. I am not detecting or anything, mainly just hiking. I love the critters you see in the woods at night, but I do want to see them. It also makes a great time to scout. There ain't nothing like a stroll through the woods at night!

I have been considering night vision or thermal lately. Costly, but the benefits for night detecting in the woods would be great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions