Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Headlamps .. who uses them? I need a new one!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    8072 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Headlamps .. who uses them? I need a new one!

Does anybody here use headlamps? I am looking for the brightest, and most durable headlamp on the market. My 6000 Lumen one finally bit the dust! I would welcome your input based on your experiences and preferences. Thanks!
    Last edited by creskol; Jan 21, 2019 at 11:27 AM.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11315 times
    Metal Detecting
    6,000 Lumens! What, do you cook with it?

I really, really like my Fenix HP25R headlamp. It uses a 18650 rechargeable Lithium cell. I have other flashlights that use these so I have three I rotate around. You can also recharge it from a USB port (handy).

I use it about nightly when putting our chickens in and dong a barn/coop once arond, and for hunting (cleaning and dragging a deer shot at twilight can be three hours after sunset getting out f the woods).

Two separate LED bulbs, metal housing(!), I get 40 hours on the low (30 lumen) floodlight setting (and it goes up to a 1,000 lumen "turbo" but only for an hour total - and it gets HOT). It also has a seperate red LED for very low-light situations and that goes for four days continual. IPX-6 waterproof.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fenix-hp25r-headlamp.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	1673133
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10020 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Unless I'm scuttling under a building, or trying to tip toe across boulders across a creek on a zero moon night, etc..., I never use headlamps, for normal outdoor night hunting.

Better just to let your eyes adjust to the moon and star light (preferably on a night with half moon or better). Because the moment you start using headlamps, is the moment your pupils become adjust to *just* that beam of light. You become blind to all else around you.

There's enough moon and starlight to see to avoid bushes, trees, etc... And I just have a penlight flashlight on a lanyard, that only gets turned on if I need to see the date on a coin or something.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    8072 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I use it a lot for seeing off in the distance and very seldom use it for a work light. When I see those green eyes following me it the woods, I want to see who they belong to!
    searching 4 and devldog like this.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    Mar 2003
    Oregon & Texas
    Custom Designs and Prototypes
    790 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I do a lot of backpacking and use Black Diamond. I like the red light feature for unobtrusive night illumination.
    devldog and creskol like this.

Dec 2007
    28 times
    Don't remember the lumin count but Milwakee makes a rechargeable I found in HomeDepot. Not cheap but a very bright light. The battery is also replacable.
    creskol likes this.

Mar 2016
    2426 times
    Do some research on the 18650 batteries.
    Any light I buy in the future will be powered with an 18650

https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/wiki/18650

I’m typically not detecting at night to hide, so I opt for a balance between brightness and battery life.
    I have turned on a few COB LED headlamps at REI and was impressed with the even light they throw.
    Definitely good for lighting a large area up...say to look out for rattlesnakes during the summer.
    creskol likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    freelance commercial dirt fisherman

Jul 2013
    california
    At Pro,garret ace 350
    187 times
    Metal Detecting
    Nightcore concept 1. If you wear a ball cap it clips to the bill 1800 lumens 18650 rechargeable battery. Best light I've ever owned.
    creskol likes this.

us
    Dec 2017
    pennsylvania
    garret ace 200
    105 times
    I never bought any higher priced headlamps , the cheap ones seem to work out ok for me, but then that's just me. current one is a harbor freight light
    creskol likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    5255 times
    I use one and just go to the local hardware store or Lowes and they have multiple cheap ones. I really haven't had to have the expensive ones yet.....
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    40578 times
    I only use one during the following activities...

1. Attending a rock concert. (as to see musicians better)
    2. Attending a pirate convention when an eye patch is unavailable.
    3. Attending a U.F.O convention to help identify unidentifiable objects.
    4. Attending a mining convention so I "fit in".
    5. Attending an orgy so I do not miss anything.

:P
    Last edited by AARC; Jan 22, 2019 at 01:32 PM.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    40578 times
    Oh... I almost forgot...

At movie theaters... damn cant see crap around me.
    Charlie P. (NY) likes this.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

Mar 2016
    2426 times
    I have recently been using a penlight attached to my baseball cap.
    I like that better than a headlamp, because it lives in my vest pocket and I have it every time I need it.
    Problem is, it takes two AAA lithium batteries. It’s not that bright and doesn’t last very long.

I’m liking the idea of the single 18650 lightweight Nightcore flashlight. I’m just not into all the special button sequences
    necessary to change modes.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    8072 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Now, I have to choose between these two:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 12.27.08 PM.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	1673452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 12.28.28 PM.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	1673451  
    pat-tekker-cat and AARC like this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    40578 times
    What.. no one liked my post ?

I worked a whole 2 minutes on that.

Sheesh. :P
    creskol likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links