What happened at slack farm in Kentucky in 1987?

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read on Wikipedia some guys paid an owner of the property to dig it up, supposedly they brought in a bulldozer and got in trouble for disturbing Indian remains. Anyone know the story and where they looking for something in particular in the area. Seems a lot of effort so I believe they really thought something was there. I'm also not sure who the 10 people are, nothing I've found lists there names. Also how they did get in trouble if given permission? Any info anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grave robbers. Kentucky law requires any human remains to be reported and not further disturbed. They dug up 650 to 800 graves; scattered the bones searching for pots.

https://traffickingculture.org/encyclopedia/case-studies/slack-farm/

https://30daysofkentuckyarchaeology.wordpress.com/2017/09/18/slack-farm-thirty-years-ago/

They had permission from the tenants . . . not the owners. But they did set the wheels in motion so that it is now a felony and not a misdemeneor (they were from Illinois and Indiana and could not be extradited for a misdemeanor - though they probably never went back to Kentucky).

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All that trouble for pots, I don't get some people.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Durned good thing that metal detectors only find metal. Not bones, not pots, etc.... So if ANYTHING: Archies ought to give us a medal for our surgical precision in AVOIDING such objects . We go with pinpoint precision to *only* the metal objects. Not bones or pots. Hence, an md'rs need-not develop any fears or worry about such an article. JMHO.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky was once called the dark and bloody ground by Indians because of their legends. Probably could dig up remains every 10 paces down here? You have to remember the Ohio river was the leading edge of ice melt at the end of the last ice age. This was prime hunting ground for centuries, arrow heads in just about every creek.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread