Feeling exited!!

IAHOLEDIGGER

Mar 7, 2015
S.W. IOWA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,Whites dfx/ dx-1/ Garrett carrot,ultimate grey ghost headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ordered a Minelab Equinox 800 this morning. I can’t wait to get it. My first detector in 12 years. I have been watching tons of YouTube videos and downloaded the manual. Is there anything else I should should know. I know there is people who love and people who don’t like it. Is there any insight from current users . This is my first minelab. Thanks

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to be the first to say....Contgratulations Ahole!

SORRY MITCH

Minelab is still the best out there I think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IAHOLEDIGGER

IAHOLEDIGGER

Mar 7, 2015
S.W. IOWA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,Whites dfx/ dx-1/ Garrett carrot,ultimate grey ghost headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SORRY MITCH

Minelab is still the best out there I think.[/QUOTE
�� it’s ok. I have been using a 13 year old whites dfx. Can’t wait to get it and spring!!

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 600, and really enjoy it. Like yourself, I did the research and watched a plethora of videos from setup to underwater hunting. I would suggest making a cheat sheet initially until you commit the numbers to memory. I made a cover for my unit because of the slop I was hunting in, and taped the sheet to the top of the cover so I could flip it out of the way when not needed. It only takes a few outings to dial it in. If you’re a dig it all person, then the sheet is unnecessary.

One thing I have started doing is hunting with my machine wide open with max sensitivity and all metal mode. I change only when necessary, which is when the noise starts getting annoying. Both sensitivity and all metal can be quickly changed without getting into the menu system.

Good luck and happy hunting. It’s really an easy machine to learn.

6B7CED26-780E-4CC2-99B1-8834E07BB655.jpeg

B7EE1B13-9EA2-47DD-B5BE-876F505BDA9B.jpeg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't overthink the machine. Read the manual. Use a preset program and don't be tempted to "tweak" any settings for the first few weeks or preferably months. Dig all iffy targets until you know it better. They are good overall machines and excel in salt water. I don't think there are any oceans in Ohio yet, but maybe next year?:laughing7:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Smokey says, read the manual. Problem is the machine does not come with a manual. Go to Minelab's website, go to their manual page and select one for Equinox and select english version, it's free. I suggest you print it out, it will take some learning and re-reading. Minelab also does not provide a charger for the new Nox although they do supply the needed charging cables. You will need a charger with USB outlet(s) and a charging output of 2.1-3.5v, and one with more than one outlet will allow you to charge your phones or WM8 wireless module at the same time. The higher voltage ones will charge faster. Good luck with it!!!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to love it! Really great bang for the buck.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SORRY MITCH

Minelab is still the best out there I think.[/QUOTE
�� it’s ok. I have been using a 13 year old whites dfx. Can’t wait to get it and spring!!

I think patience, digging techniques, research, luck, the ability to approach strangers to obtain permission, are all probably the biggest factors in being successful. Being able to retrieve more targets per hour leads to better finds.

It IS ok if I call you Ahole for short? I’m so clever. Sorry last time. :laughing7:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dig it and know for sure

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IAHOLEDIGGER - After 12 years of using other detectors this will be different but it's still a detector. What has been offered above is Right On so follow the above advice. You've started well by watching videos and reading the manual. Take it slow and easy so you are not frustrated by errors, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again but always slow and easy! While you are at it, just enjoy the dickens out of your new Toy!...............63bkpkr

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the new machine...may your coil find you much gold! :occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember, ditch the videos after the first week! You'll be tempted to play follow the leader, and you need to know your machine on your own.

OP
OP
IAHOLEDIGGER

IAHOLEDIGGER

Mar 7, 2015
S.W. IOWA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HoleDigger, Congrat's to you on the order of the new Equinox. Best of luck to you with Much Success.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ordered a Minelab Equinox 800 this morning. I can’t wait to get it. My first detector in 12 years. I have been watching tons of YouTube videos and downloaded the manual. Is there anything else I should should know. I know there is people who love and people who don’t like it. Is there any insight from current users . This is my first minelab. Thanks

I believe most people with a ton of "quick" success with the Nox are the one's coming from Minelab or other complex machines. I guess that shouldn't be surprising but something to keep in mind. That's not to say the Nox is particularly complex but I've just found it tough to digest all the nuances with the sounds and VDI that many of the successful users talk about. So my advice is be patient. Pick a setting and stick with it. Even with using a different ground balance, you'll find the machine kind of changes. I know someone suggested a cheat sheet but I would argue against this unless you are going to the same site repeatedly. Like I said, the VDI numbers can vary depending on the day/site/conditions.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
I have the 600, and really enjoy it. Like yourself, I did the research and watched a plethora of videos from setup to underwater hunting. I would suggest making a cheat sheet initially until you commit the numbers to memory. I made a cover for my unit because of the slop I was hunting in, and taped the sheet to the top of the cover so I could flip it out of the way when not needed. It only takes a few outings to dial it in. If you’re a dig it all person, then the sheet is unnecessary.

One thing I have started doing is hunting with my machine wide open with max sensitivity and all metal mode. I change only when necessary, which is when the noise starts getting annoying. Both sensitivity and all metal can be quickly changed without getting into the menu system.

Good luck and happy hunting. It’s really an easy machine to learn.

View attachment 1673385

View attachment 1673387

I can tell you definitively that a $10 gold eagle hits at 22-23 in this neck of the woods on an 800

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread