Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it has been up in the 50s for a couple of days with lows in the low 30s, Felt pretty nice other than being still very wet. but today, the bottom has fallen out again and that wind is bitter! it is a wet cold wind that makes guys like me hurt and get chilled to the bone. Already 28 and still dropping fast. yeah this is Arkansas and this is what happens here, snow one day and 90 degrees the next except we haven't seen any of those type days this year. my cold liking days are over, I am a fair weather man now, more on the warmer side

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You don’t know bitter.

oh I might know a little bit about it. lived 3 1/2 years in Germany back in early 60s, a year just south of Chicago in the plains spent a little time in New England, been to Greenland, Canada and a few others

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Up on mt washington during the cold spell,without the wind chill it was -25 degrees f.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ugh. It's 14/-8 with 30 mph gusts n snow falling here right now. Regular ground blizzard. I was watching snow devils dance in the cornfield across from my house. Should b fun tomorrow...-28/-55. LP fuel won't vaporize after -40, I hear. 😞

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ugh. It's 14/-8 with 30 mph gusts n snow falling here right now. Regular ground blizzard. I was watching snow devils dance in the cornfield across from my house. Should b fun tomorrow...-28/-55. LP fuel won't vaporize after -40, I hear. ��

Can you get a couple tarps over your LP tank? Don't know how the
wind chill affects the tank, but that'll at least stop the wind from direct
contact with the tank.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Yep. I went to work this morning in short sleeves..around 8am put on a fleece..came home at six with my 0° bibs and heavy coat on.... Temporarily living in a 5th wheel trying to rebuild from a house fire...("all weather" RV's are a joke...lol)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan tues wed minus 12 degrees wind chill minus 40 brrrrrhhhh

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Up on mt washington during the cold spell,without the wind chill it was -25 degrees f.

my wife lived right below Mt Washington for 5-6 years, been on it several times, things chained down for the wind is so bad

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been at the base of Mt. Washington. My car refused to go up it! It said it was too steep and that was in June. There was still snow on the top. I HATE the winter howling winds.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
oh I might know a little bit about it. lived 3 1/2 years in Germany back in early 60s, a year just south of Chicago in the plains spent a little time in New England, been to Greenland, Canada and a few others

I hear you dirtlooter! I spent 4 years and 4 months in Germany (formerly West Germany) from April 1973 to August 1977. Served 2 years and 2 months at Kirchgoens, a large hill or small mountain in the Fulda Valley and went to Grafenwoehr 3 times, Hohenfels 3 times but one of those was for Weapons School, Alsfeld 3 or 4 times, Fulda twice, Friedberg Training Area once and Wildflecken once where we were snowed in for 3 days by a Spring Blizzard. The last two years was spent delivering supplies and equipment all over West Germany and Amsterdam, Holland with a two week driving stint in the Brussels, Belgium area, driving a Turkish General during NATO talks. After that, I was stationed at Fort Sheridan, Illinois from September 1977 to March 30, 1978 where I went through the 1977-1978 Blizzard. Damn was it ever cold and the most snow I had ever seen in my life with the exception of on the top of the Zugspitze where there was 34 meters of snow during my visit there in mid-July 1974. We wanted to go back up there the very next day but it snowed more than 3 meters of new snow during the night.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
and keep some of the earth's heat in play

"Can you get a couple tarps over your LP tank? Don't know how the
contact with the tank. "

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

10th mountain division had a yearly rendezvous up there. I rode my Harley up there, got the patch to prove it. It was coming down that was tough for me.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hear you dirtlooter! I spent 4 years and 4 months in Germany (formerly West Germany) from April 1973 to August 1977. Served 2 years and 2 months at Kirchgoens, a large hill or small mountain in the Fulda Valley and went to Grafenwoehr 3 times, Hohenfels 3 times but one of those was for Weapons School, Alsfeld 3 or 4 times, Fulda twice, Friedberg Training Area once and Wildflecken once where we were snowed in for 3 days by a Spring Blizzard. The last two years was spent delivering supplies and equipment all over West Germany and Amsterdam, Holland with a two week driving stint in the Brussels, Belgium area, driving a Turkish General during NATO talks. After that, I was stationed at Fort Sheridan, Illinois from September 1977 to March 30, 1978 where I went through the 1977-1978 Blizzard. Damn was it ever cold and the most snow I had ever seen in my life with the exception of on the top of the Zugspitze where there was 34 meters of snow during my visit there in mid-July 1974. We wanted to go back up there the very next day but it snowed more than 3 meters of new snow during the night.

yep, have seen some very deep snow, the deepest was in Germany but was a lot younger then and loved it. Found out what those stupid fences were for in Illinois LOL. One of the prettiest places was Goosebay

nwpa

Jul 6, 2017
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
T2 classic
Simplex
Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rain tonight temp around 36 then temps will drop through Tues morning with a flash freeze.
Wed-Thurs are the coldest days here -30 windchill then up to mid 40's on Sunday will be a nice warm up.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you get a couple tarps over your LP tank? Don't know how the
contact with the tank.
It MIGHT not be too bad, Diz...the winds are gonna be coming outta the west and the tank is close to the garage on the east side. Gotta 4x8 slab of 3/4" plywood I'm gonna lean up against it. Might help a bit. 🙏

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep same here 40s for the weekend lol

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It MIGHT not be too bad, Diz...the winds are gonna be coming outta the west and the tank is close to the garage on the east side. Gotta 4x8 slab of 3/4" plywood I'm gonna lean up against it. Might help a bit. ��

Having it closer to the building is great. Plywood on the outside,
couple tarps over it all and the tank will be fine. You got no worries... cold-1.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Having it closer to the building is great. Plywood on the outside,
couple tarps over it all and the tank will be fine. You got no worries... View attachment 1675617

You all are probably correct about the tarps but I believe if the LP Tank was wrapped in insulation first, then wrapped in a tarp and covered with another tarp would be much better. Never use heat tape or something similar to keep the tank warm as they will never shut off due to the severe cold and will overheat and melt or catch on fire. Previous owners of my' home in West Virginia wrapped the water pipes running under the porch floor to the laundry room with heat tape and it got so cold, the heat tape couldn't shut off and nearly set the house on fire.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread