False signals when coil is bumped

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like all of my coils end up being useless after about 2 years.
It’s usually because they start false signaling when bumped or moved quickly.
This is probably due to the fact I use it in heavy brush and constantly bump it on rocks.

I currently have a Makro Gold Racer coil and it’s to the point of being useless.
This is a high frequency machine that is ultra sensitive when things are working properly.

I’m going to take the coil apart and see what the problem is. Anybody ever done this before?

I’m curious what’s inside. I suspect the coil wire has lost its tension due to the fact that it’s not encased in resin, or there is a piece of thin paper bouncing on top of the wire.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My F75 falses when bumped on brush or hard objects. This is not rocky terrain in the lowcountry. It's not really an issue. In very dry weather it will false from static when dragging over dry grass or ground cover. I have gotten used to it and recognize it when it happens. I imagine searching rocky ground looking for nuggets is tough on these coils. Good luck to you.

man_in_black

Nov 2, 2013
Pensacola
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this get progressively worse over time (based on the number of "bumps")? I run into this occasionally on my F44 here on Pensacola Beach (just dry sand), when I skim the top of the sand.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems normal on most machines Do you use a coil cover

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Your coil cables wrap pattern ,shape/form can affect such too. A flopping part of cable usually the worst.
Coil wobble where attached can be checked for too.

Adding a bumper of 3/4 air hose split on one side and wrapped around coil edge would add weight and a little height from ground , but if you want to experiment . I'll cheer for ya!

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not my first rodeo.

I have 4 different coils for this detector and frequently switch them out depending on the type of detecting I’m doing.
This one particular coil is getting worse and worse. When your looking for faint signals from small pieces of gold buried or partially covered by rocks, you have to really listen to what it’s telling you. If it’s giving you false signals at the end of every swing, when you brush up against grass, or bump the coil, you are having to recheck signals that you should not have even heard. When it gets to that point, I typically buy a new coil. It wears my patience thin quickly, which isn’t good for finding gold.

Taking it apart for curiosity sake will be better than me slamming it against a tree trunk!

I have several Fisher GB2 coils sitting around that developed similiar problems. New coil always fixes it regardless of how the cable is wrapped.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not my first rodeo.

I have 4 different coils for this detector and frequently switch them out depending on the type of detecting I’m doing.
This one particular coil is getting worse and worse. When your looking for faint signals from small pieces of gold buried or partially covered by rocks, you have to really listen to what it’s telling you. If it’s giving you false signals at the end of every swing, when you brush up against grass, or bump the coil, you are having to recheck signals that you should not have even heard. When it gets to that point, I typically buy a new coil. It wears my patience thin quickly, which isn’t good for finding gold.

Taking it apart for curiosity sake will be better than me slamming it against a tree trunk!

I have several Fisher GB2 coils sitting around that developed similiar problems. New coil always fixes it regardless of how the cable is wrapped.

Yeah, take it apart. Maybe a dab or two of RTV sealant to hold a loose part in place may fix it. There's always duct tape! Let us know what you find.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had that with any machine I've owned, but only on certain occasions or when I used the coil as a weed whacker. Which I would never do...no...not me...no...not ever. Is my nose getting longer?

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had similar problems with my Garrett coils. Micro cracks in the resin. Would work ok until moisture, then go wacky. Would thoroughly dry out, then cover with epoxy 2 part paint. Would last another 3 or 4 months until the moisture was salt water then they would go permanently wacky. Learned to stick with the coil cover even if wrapped in duct tape to hold together after cracking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread