Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Skateboard deck collection sells for a record $800,000

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    1456 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz12 View Post
    Im confused?? Why is it wrong to make money? I assume you have a job to make money and if the opportunity presented itself you would surely leave whoever you work for in a split second if you could make more money doing the same job for someone else...

And I'd also bet that if you had that collection of decks you would have quickly sold it off for half that amount just to get the money. Or maybe would would have held out for the full 800k. Either way would you consider yourself evil and greedy?

My point is this, no one was misled in any way about the products and good money changed hands to make both the seller and the purchaser happy.
    I have a job. From a purely economic perspective there is nothing wrong here. A company made something and sold it and then it was sold again. If I had the skateboards I would sell them and make a profit.

My issue is with the company Supreme. From the perspective of a subculture this company competes with real skateboard culture, and uses it to make money. It's pretty simple: If you don't skate you can't be a skater. They are pretend skateboarders. Posers, fakes. They take money that could support real skateboarders. Real skateboarders: People who ride skateboards who add to what skateboarding is as an art and culture. Without them there would be no progression, skateparks, products, creativity, magazines, videos etc. The things that make skateboarding more than just a board with wheels on it. Stores and companies are damaged by the likes of Supreme and many are going out of business. If Sony started taking millions maybe billions of dollars from metal detecting while the magazines and mom and pop metal detecting stores went out of business would it just come down to economics and capitalism or is there something more to Treasure Hunting? It depends on who you ask I suppose.
    Mother Superior and AARC like this.

ca
    Jan 2017
    Quebec city
    119 times
    mhedved.bandcamp.com
    Im confused?? Why is it wrong to make money? I assume you have a job to make money and if the opportunity presented itself you would surely leave whoever you work for in a split second if you could make more money doing the same job for someone else...

And I'd also bet that if you had that collection of decks you would have quickly sold it off for half that amount just to get the money. Or maybe would would have held out for the full 800k. Either way would you consider yourself evil and greedy?

My point is this, no one was misled in any way about the products and good money changed hands to make both the seller and the purchaser happy.
    I think you minsunderstood.
    Skateboard is an art form first, a business second.
    Of course since there is an exchange of services and hard goods, there will be money involved. For a long time, 99% of the people on the industry were either skaters or people who cared about the sport.
    Fast forward a little and people like Supreme come in. They are not skaters but love to look like one.
    Once they have assimilated the quirks and traditions of the skateboard world, they start "a brand" that looks legit, but that isn't used/representend/endorsed by any skater.
    They do so so convincingly that the outside world thinks they're the shizzle, and the brand starts taking off and eventually becomes the first thing everyone in the outside world thinks of when they see "skateboard".
    The brand then sucks off all the money that used to go to skaters, money that most skaters reinvested in their brand.
    Money stops getting to the actual people practicing the sport/art form.
    They starve, while the nobody who hijacked their image has a flat with a view of central park.

The outrage is directed that the fact that, of aaaaaaall the amazing brands and products made since the 60's that were for skaters by skaters, the brand that actually racks up the most money when some of its vintage items are sold off is a brand that has zero to to with skateboarding. Which means that both the seller AND the buyer are horrible idiots.
    AARC and xcopperstax like this.
    Like pawns on a chessboard, we are directed,
    shuffled, misplaced and used to build a barrier
    between madmen and their enemies

us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    1456 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Superior View Post
    Of course since there is an exchange of services and hard goods, there will be money involved. For a long time, 99% of the people on the industry were either skaters or people who cared about the sport.
    Fast forward a little and people like Supreme come in. They are not skaters but love to look like one.
    Once they have assimilated the quirks and traditions of the skateboard world, they start "a brand" that looks legit, but that isn't used/representend/endorsed by any skater.
    They do so so convincingly that the outside world thinks they're the shizzle, and the brand starts taking off and eventually becomes the first thing everyone in the outside world thinks of when they see "skateboard".
    The brand then sucks off all the money that used to go to skaters, money that most skaters reinvested in their brand.
    They starve, while the nobody who hijacked their image has a flat with a view of central park.

The outrage is directed that the fact that, of aaaaaaall the amazing brands and products made since the 60's that were for skaters by skaters, the brand that actually racks up the most money when some of its vintage items are sold off is a brand that has zero to to with skateboarding. Which means that both the seller AND the buyer are horrible idiots.
    I couldn't have said it better!
    AARC likes this.

us
    Dec 2018
    Alaska
    Nox 800
    403 times

Why is the seller an idiot?
    AARC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    tokameel

May 2012
    Mequon, Wi
    In 1974- White. Now a Garrett Ace 250. 8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
    283 times
    Looking for Error coins from the bank. Update: I can MD using my wheelchair!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtlooter View Post
    cool, they wouldn't want my 1st skateboard, made it 68, using a board and a real skate. it worked, nothing like a real skateboard but it flew down this very steep hill. then when I finally got a "real" one, wore the wheels off it the 1st summer LOL. the ones that they use today are as big as the old buicks

Boy! That brings back memories. I did the same thing in the late 1960s. We lived at the bottom of a two city block hill. And there was a intersection halfway down. Steel roller skates were all that we had back then, so it was easy to remove the metal wheels from the skates and then stick them on a board. After a few test runs (and realigning the wheels so that you wouldn’t keeping swerving into the curb) you'd be ready for the big hill.
    You took your life into your own hands every time that you would go speeding down the hill because if a car was driving on that cross street, you would be seriously killed. (We didn’t have no stinking helmets back then.)
    It was a rush! I will never forget the sound of the steel wheels on the asphalt.
    Tom
    i support little league Roller Ball

You can lead a horse to Washington but you can not make him think.

2 Ys U R, 2 Ys U B, I C U R 2 Ys 4 ME

us
    Dec 2018
    Alaska
    Nox 800
    403 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tokameel View Post
    Boy! That brings back memories. I did the same thing in the late 1960s. We lived at the bottom of a two city block hill. And there was a intersection halfway down. Steel roller skates were all that we had back then, so it was easy to remove the metal wheels from the skates and then stick them on a board. After a few test runs (and realigning the wheels so that you wouldn’t keeping swerving into the curb) you'd be ready for the big hill.
    You took your life into your own hands every time that you would go speeding down the hill because if a car was driving on that cross street, you would be seriously killed. (We didn’t have no stinking helmets back then.)
    It was a rush! I will never forget the sound of the steel wheels on the asphalt.
    Tom
    I remember my feet and legs going numb with all the vibration, ahh the good ol days!!!!
    AARC, tokameel and xcopperstax like this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2 - VP 580
    38891 times
    You know there was one thing that ALWAYS sucked arse while skateboarding...

That dreaded pebble / rock / stone / whatever the F it was that stopped the damn board dead... meanwhile... you DID NOT stop in the same way.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - AKA -" TNet Under Ground " http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

ca
    Jan 2017
    Quebec city
    119 times
    mhedved.bandcamp.com
    Why is the seller an idiot?
    Let me first specify that all of this is my opinion, and certainly not a universal truth.
    I agree that in my anger "idiot" was an ill-chosen insult, since the two parties who participated in this sale are/were obviously rich people with excellent monetary skills.
    If your issue was with the word "idiot", than I agree it was misused and inappropriate. Would you prefer "morons? "Despicable"?
    What I wanted to do basicaly was to voice my contempt towards both parties because they both, at different times, invested money in products that monetize a subculture and drain all the survival money that normaly trickles down to it.
    They basicaly ruin the fun for a lot of people and make a profit out of it.
    AARC and RustyGold like this.

us
    Dec 2018
    Alaska
    Nox 800
    403 times
    Let me first specify that all of this is my opinion, and certainly not a universal truth.
    I agree that in my anger "idiot" was an ill-chosen insult, since the two parties who participated in this sale are/were obviously rich people with excellent monetary skills.
    If your issue was with the word "idiot", than I agree it was misused and inappropriate. Would you prefer "morons? "Despicable"?
    What I wanted to do basicaly was to voice my contempt towards both parties because they both, at different times, invested money in products that monetize a subculture and drain all the survival money that normaly trickles down to it.
    They basicaly ruin the fun for a lot of people and make a profit out of it.
    LOL, so what you're saying is a few people (that know nothing about skating) got together with a great idea and made money with that idea and that is terrible because they didnt reinvest THEIR money back into the skating world by giving it to skaters.... Thats ridiculous

You better sit down for this next statement

- People start businesses to earn money -

They are under NO obligation to reinvest THEIR money in any business or person. That may not be the best idea for the long term BUT these guys realized that its a fad (think rollerskates, inline skates, unicycle, etc...) and long term investing can be a waste of money. They made the correct business decision.

For a better understanding I suggest you start your own business or at the very least read about successful small businesses
    AARC likes this.

ca
    Jan 2017
    Quebec city
    119 times
    mhedved.bandcamp.com
    LOL, so what you're saying is a few people (that know nothing about skating) got together with a great idea and made money with that idea and that is terrible because they didnt reinvest THEIR money back into the skating world by giving it to skaters.... Thats ridiculous

You better sit down for this next statement

- People start businesses to earn money -

They are under NO obligation to reinvest THEIR money in any business or person. That may not be the best idea for the long term BUT these guys realized that its a fad (think rollerskates, inline skates, unicycle, etc...) and long term investing can be a waste of money. They made the correct business decision.

For a better understanding I suggest you start your own business or at the very least read about successful small businesses
    Wow that was arrogant. And presumptuous.
    You obviously are not a skateboarder, and talk from a stricly business-oriented position so I see no point in arguing with you.
    I didn't want to argue with anyone in fact, just wanted to share my dismay with my fellow skateboarders, who by the way seemed to mostly agree with me.
    All I can say is pardon me for not liking it when someone who has nothing but money in my mind exploits and ruins somthing I loved all my life.

us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    1456 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post

That dreaded pebble / rock / stone / whatever the F it was that stopped the damn board dead... meanwhile... you DID NOT stop in the same way.
    still happens even with the new style of wheels!
    AARC likes this.

ca
    Jan 2017
    Quebec city
    119 times
    mhedved.bandcamp.com
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post

I have abandoned small hard wheels for bigger and slightly softer ones. You'd be suprised the bumps/cracks/rocks I'm rolling over on a daily basis.
    I got tired of eating the pavement, and most of my body has permanent pains/scars from skateboarding, so I've upgraded to the grandpa set-up and its been a blast ever since.
    8.8 board/Independent 169mm trucks/59mm 92A wheels. You should see me surf that bowl.
    xcopperstax likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links