Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skateboard deck collection sells for a record $800,000

•A collection of skateboards were sold at Sotheby's to Vancouver collector Carson Guo for $800,000.
•The set of 248 skate decks were made by Supreme between 1998 and 2018.
•The sale price averaged more than $3,200 per skate deck, though some of the decks were worth far more than others.

A collection of skateboard decks sold at Sotheby's Friday to a Vancouver collector for $800,000.

Sotheby's announced Friday morning that a young Vancouver collector, named Carson Guo, bought the set of 248 skate decks made by Supreme. The collection included all of the decks produced by Supreme between 1998 and 2018. It is the highest price ever paid for a skate-deck collection at auction.

The sale price averaged more than $3,200 per skate deck, though some of the decks were worth far more than others.

The auction shows how both skate culture and the Supreme brand have quickly become collector's items among the young rich. Both Sotheby's and Christie's have held auctions featuring products made by Supreme, the streetwear brand by British designer James Jebbia. Founded in 1994, the brand quickly gained special status among skateboarders. Starting in 1998, Supreme started creating limited-edition decks designed by famous artists like Jeff Koons and George Condo.

Last June, a series of eight custom boards designed by American artist Kaws sold at auction for $55,700.

The Supreme collection was assembled by Los Angeles collector Ryan Fuller, who spend 13 years finding and buying the decks.

Sotheby's said Guo was born in Vancouver "in a family of collectors" and plans to display the decks in a new shop opening in 2020.

"I am extremely thrilled to acquire this skate deck collection," Guo said in a Sotheby's statement, "and will continue to closely follow relevant auction news from Sotheby's."

PICTURES and ARTICLE - https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/29/skateboard-deck-collection-sells-for-a-record-800000.html

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool, they wouldn't want my 1st skateboard, made it 68, using a board and a real skate. it worked, nothing like a real skateboard but it flew down this very steep hill. then when I finally got a "real" one, wore the wheels off it the 1st summer LOL. the ones that they use today are as big as the old buicks

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Full disclosure I am a skateboarder and I've skated since 1988. To me this company symbolizes the extreme greed of society. The main fact that people need to know about Supreme is that it was not started by a skateboarder and is not owned by skateboarders. Their logo is a rip off / copy / appropriation of art by Barbara Kruger who is a famous artist. They are a company that is arguably the best in the world at using skateboarding to make money. Nothing wrong with making money but they basically appropriated skateboard culture and ran with it. Skateboarders have always prided themselves on independence and doing it yourself so it's ironic that skateboarders have completely embraced the company. To me Supreme is the ultimate interloper and everything they are is a complete ruse. I have to hand it to them they have completely fooled the masses. I liken them to the pied piper and the emperors new clothes and the wolf in sheep's clothing all wrapped in one. The thing about this that is surprising is that the collection didn't break 1 million. There are many fools out there with huge bank accounts. To sum up Supreme they look you in the eye and say "I am going to rip you off and you will love me for it" Then you hand them big bucks for the privilege of it. They are true artists in BS.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well rest assured...

An old adage applies IMO concerning this outrageous and frivolous purchase by someone who obviously... "has more money than sense".
Which is also an adage... but the one I am referring to or more applies to this is...

"A fool and their money soon part separate ways".

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool, they wouldn't want my 1st skateboard, made it 68, using a board and a real skate. it worked, nothing like a real skateboard but it flew down this very steep hill. then when I finally got a "real" one, wore the wheels off it the 1st summer LOL. the ones that they use today are as big as the old buicks

A piece of pine tongue-and-groove and one skate separated and screwed to the board. The ONLY way to turn it was to lift the weight off the front wheels.

I liked the 2 x 4 go-cart better. ;-)

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Full disclosure I am a skateboarder and I've skated since 1988. To me this company symbolizes the extreme greed of society. The main fact that people need to know about Supreme is that it was not started by a skateboarder and is not owned by skateboarders. Their logo is a rip off / copy / appropriation of art by Barbara Kruger who is a famous artist. They are a company that is arguably the best in the world at using skateboarding to make money. Nothing wrong with making money but they basically appropriated skateboard culture and ran with it. Skateboarders have always prided themselves on independence and doing it yourself so it's ironic that skateboarders have completely embraced the company. To me Supreme is the ultimate interloper and everything they are is a complete ruse. I have to hand it to them they have completely fooled the masses. I liken them to the pied piper and the emperors new clothes and the wolf in sheep's clothing all wrapped in one. The thing about this that is surprising is that the collection didn't break 1 million. There are many fools out there with huge bank accounts. To sum up Supreme they look you in the eye and say "I am going to rip you off and you will love me for it" Then you hand them big bucks for the privilege of it. They are true artists in BS.

Actually I never heard of 'Supreme', tho I did Skate from 1983 - 1991 ish ; I was more of a Street Skater / Grinder.
Half Pipes were not for me , Tho I did try.

To this day Ill say I Skate 'Santa Cruz' Decks 'Rob Roskoff ' Forgive my spelling as that deck was run over by a few cars & trashed. Tony Hawk is still amazing (in a Tom Brady way'.

I wonder if Tony's Decks , Santa Cruz , & others popular in 1985 are worth anything.?

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmmm, I still have my Mark Rogowski Gator....

D.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned one skateboard... a Walker... which was later stolen... never bought another.

I lived and grew up on beaches... We were into BMX bikes and anything in or on water.

Never did too many tricks on a board either... now on a bike... heh I was pretty good on a bike.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey , K-grind to backside 180 out on a 9 stairway rail . Kick flip to blunt stall on a vert wall extention ,revert back in . Deck are made from Canadians Rock Maple not pine. Any real steggs just a much of carriers .TP

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey , K-grind to backside 180 out on a 9 stairway rail . Kick flip to blunt stall on a vert wall extention ,revert back in . Deck are made from Canadians Rock Maple not pine. Any real steggs just a much of carriers .TP

You talk the talk but can you skate the walk? Haha. :notworthy:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

D.

You may or may not know Gator killed a woman and is in jail for the rest of his life. There's a documentary about his rise and fall. I have a gator that belonged to my stepbrother. He's a legendary screw up.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I never heard of 'Supreme', tho I did Skate from 1983 - 1991 ish ; I was more of a Street Skater / Grinder.
Half Pipes were not for me , Tho I did try.

To this day Ill say I Skate 'Santa Cruz' Decks 'Rob Roskoff ' Forgive my spelling as that deck was run over by a few cars & trashed. Tony Hawk is still amazing (in a Tom Brady way'.

I wonder if Tony's Decks , Santa Cruz , & others popular in 1985 are worth anything.?

Awesome! It's interesting skateboarding has reached a point of hyper nostalgia where pretty much anything that was popular in the 80's has been reissued in some form or another. Santa Cruz figured out awhile ago that they made some of the most iconic graphics skating has ever seen so they are reissuing everything a couple decks at a time. Everyone wants to own a piece of their childhood. Original boards from back then can go for a lot of money.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned one skateboard... a Walker... which was later stolen... never bought another.

I lived and grew up on beaches... We were into BMX bikes and anything in or on water.

Never did too many tricks on a board either... now on a bike... heh I was pretty good on a bike.

I had an instructional vhs by the walker team. From what I know they were a Florida company. By the time I had the video I think they weren't too relevant. That was probably 1989 or 90.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A piece of pine tongue-and-groove and one skate separated and screwed to the board. The ONLY way to turn it was to lift the weight off the front wheels.

I liked the 2 x 4 go-cart better. ;-)

One time I borrowed a thriftstore find board that had the steel wheels and tried to skate it. I quickly understood why skateboarding had forever been labeled a danger. The thing was a deathtrap compared to what we ride now!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I still have my 1976/77 Castor skateboard that I bought new with the original Tracker Trucks and Banana Wheels or Cadillac Wheels.
I’d sell it for $5,000!:headbang:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Pop not the bright deck design but the skill . Mungo Goofy along a 6 inch edge at the local carpark hoping that someone's looking not my idea of sk8ing. Always brought blank decks as they never lastest long. Thunder trucks always lasted longer than grid king. Smiths just lame TP

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
98-18 at that price; why so much. Those where not even decent years for design and style evolution. I mean nothing happened at all, now had it been say 86-98 then damn, well worth it, this sounds like a tits up business found in a storage unit.

Heck of a price though.

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

D.
Gator...the skater in the half in the Tom Petty video Free Falling...Gator, the skater who murdered his girlfriend. All this did help drive the price of the original silkscreen Vision decks.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator...the skater in the half in the Tom Petty video Free Falling...Gator, the skater who murdered his girlfriend. All this did help drive the price of the original silkscreen Vision decks.

Actually, he raped and murdered his ex girlfriend's best friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread