Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a lot of them have been found in NJ. I haven't found any myself, but I do know a couple of people who have [each] found a number of them. I don't know the exact locations [where the Reale's were found] but the southern shore is a general idea. It seems the most opportune time is immediately after a major storm - either stuff is washed ashore from ship wrecks off the beach, or the beach is depleted and pockets of heavier items are exposed for a short period of time.

Given the extent of use here in NJ, I would suspect that old high-traffic areas inland would be a potential source as well. Think of really old Inns, bars, and gathering spots - any place where people would have congregated and money would've been spent (and potentially dropped). Other possibilities [in my mind] would be street tear-outs in some of the really old towns - preferably in the old "down town" areas. In some areas of NJ there were old toll roads (private) that ran the same area that are now modern roads. Find a road tear-out near where the tolls were collected and I suspect that might be a good opportunity as well.

There are still a lot of houses still in use that were built prior to the Revolutionary War. Some of those houses used to serve other purposes (beside being a home) - including bars, Inns, stores, etc.. If you can find one that hasn't had a lot of soil removed/added and get permission to hunt the property - I would suspect there is a good opportunity to find a Reale there.

Old Fairgrounds are another excellent possibility. In most cases the fairgrounds have changed over time - moving from one location to another. (In my local area the fairgrounds have changed - 5 different locations from the late 1600's to the current location).

Best of luck.....

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Quite a lot of them have been found in NJ. I haven't found any myself, but I do know a couple of people who have [each] found a number of them. I don't know the exact locations [where the Reale's were found] but the southern shore is a general idea. It seems the most opportune time is immediately after a major storm - either stuff is washed ashore from ship wrecks off the beach, or the beach is depleted and pockets of heavier items are exposed for a short period of time.

Given the extent of use here in NJ, I would suspect that old high-traffic areas inland would be a potential source as well. Think of really old Inns, bars, and gathering spots - any place where people would have congregated and money would've been spent (and potentially dropped). Other possibilities [in my mind] would be street tear-outs in some of the really old towns - preferably in the old "down town" areas. In some areas of NJ there were old toll roads (private) that ran the same area that are now modern roads. Find a road tear-out near where the tolls were collected and I suspect that might be a good opportunity as well.

There are still a lot of houses still in use that were built prior to the Revolutionary War. Some of those houses used to serve other purposes (beside being a home) - including bars, Inns, stores, etc.. If you can find one that hasn't had a lot of soil removed/added and get permission to hunt the property - I would suspect there is a good opportunity to find a Reale there.

Old Fairgrounds are another excellent possibility. In most cases the fairgrounds have changed over time - moving from one location to another. (In my local area the fairgrounds have changed - 5 different locations from the late 1600's to the current location).

Best of luck.....

Really great info! I also found this site at the link below and it appears to be a great link for looking for shipwrecks off of New Jersey. Grant you, it may not include all shipwrecks and/or those that wrecked in the 1600's and 1700's.

https://njmaritimemuseum.org/shipwreck-database/

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try to find any inhabited areas from that time that have not been graded since then or paved over. Many have been dug in fields and woods, You will have a better chance digging one there than here in Ohio. I did luck upon one from a curb strip back in 2016 here in Ohio though.

Best of Luck

OP
OP
🧱South Jersey Scolino🏴☠️
Nov 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Best of luck.....

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow great info good luck

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In the inlets. Many ships over 100's of years have sank trying to get into the inlets during storms.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions