+80 Year old Jar of preserved Salmon

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here on Vancouver island we have quite a bit of native history. We dont have the oldest of finds that surface on the furthest west coast you can really get in Canada, but we find some older goodies from time to time.

Being the history isnt the oldest, I really enjoy finding old homesteads from the turn of the century. The other week it was just my luck. I stumbled across an old 1890s farmhouse with fabulous owners that gave me free roam at the property. The property once belonged to a well off farming family. I wish I took pictures of just how amazing this place must have been back in the late 1800s but my eyes were on the mossy overgrown ground trying to find spots that might be detectable.

Along my journey through this dense patch of woods, I came across a gigantic Sequoia tree. I didnt find anything but rusty nails around the property but hot a wonky repeatable hit on my Eq800.

The current owners have had this property for 70 years. And 10 years previous to them owning it, the place was abandoned. But check....this....out!

20181110_155206.jpg
20181110_155113.jpg
20181110_155119.jpg

A jar of still intact preserved salmon. Never in my life would I have thought of finding this. You could slightly smell the salmon through the seal, and I didnt dare open the thing but how cool is that?!?!

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've tried 50 year old pickles and jam from my gpas basement that he canned before I was born. It was still sealed and perfectly edible. I dont think I'd eat that fish tho, slight taint?

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think Salmon----Ella?

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still make salmin patties occasionally. Really good. Simple recipe from my mom.

OP
OP
Bquamb

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I left the jar at the owners place to collect at a later date. I couldn't bare the idea of it cracking or opening in my car. The smell didnt smell horrible, but not great either, haha.

Rang in at a repeatable -8 and 7 hahaha, so if you ever get those numbers, Preserved Salmon Guaranteed!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That's neat! Something different! May be a good market for it .. I see on the strange food channels people eating rotten duck embryos and worse. Who knows what somebody would be willing to pay for aged salmon!

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay it. If they can sell burnt toast that looks like Jesus, your 80 year old salmon will surely go for a high price.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I opened quite a few old canning jars.im talking 100 plus years old.some of the stuff like baked beans still smelled damn good.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's neat! Something different! May be a good market for it .. I see on the strange food channels people eating rotten duck embryos and worse. Who knows what somebody would be willing to pay for aged salmon!

Hmmmmm.

Pre-radiation era Salmon. $75

FieldStone

Jan 9, 2019
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang onto that jar. Might come in handy for the infamous "double dog dare ya"

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've had a jar of pickled Coho salmon in my fridge for what
has to be close to 10 years now. Looks as fresh as the day
it was canned.

Wife made it years ago, but I don't really care for pickled
fish..that, and I'm too stubborn to throw out good food.

At this point I think it's going to become 'coon food..I'm
sure the little bandits would love it.

BTW, on that jar..if you can smell it the seals been broken.
You could eat it, but it'll probably kill you.. green.gif

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
DizzyDigger;6079267 At this point I think it's going to become 'coon food..I'm sure the little bandits would love it. [/QUOTE said:
Trash Pandas will be your friends.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Bquamb

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a jar of pickled Coho salmon in my fridge for what
has to be close to 10 years now. Looks as fresh as the day
it was canned.

Wife made it years ago, but I don't really care for pickled
fish..that, and I'm too stubborn to throw out good food.

At this point I think it's going to become 'coon food..I'm
sure the little bandits would love it.

BTW, on that jar..if you can smell it the seals been broken.
You could eat it, but it'll probably kill you.. View attachment 1676623

I think it's because the rubber or what ever material was used as the ring to seal out the air has been made wet and dried out over and over again, it may have saturated through or the smell crawled bit by bit over time. It's still super tight and all intact without any cracks around said ring. I'd love to open it but I fear the smell will NEVER come off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions