Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Western & Eastern Treasures going all digital? Say it ainít so!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    NOX 800
    83 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    In all honesty, most mags aren't worth more then a 2 years' subscription. They tend to just re-hash old articles.

PopSci has been running the Flying Car is 5 Years Away article for 50+ years.

us
    Nov 2015
    Western USA
    Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Sea Hunter MKII, Infinium LS, Scorpion GS, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD20
    502 times
    I was very saddened to read this as well, as I have been a print subscriber to W&E Treasures magazine for many years. I’m old-school, preferring something to hold versus something digital. Whenever I go on a trip by car, train, or airplane I ALWAYS have a printed book to read with me, usually several. I almost always have a copy of W&E with me as well.

The irony of my emotions is twofold, as one, I am the editor for a large online website (nothing to do with treasure hunting) and have been doing that for going on 18 years, so digital is normal for me. And two, as a cache hunter I have always said that the Internet is the single greatest research tool ever created by mankind. It’s far from the only research tool that one needs, but for sheer volume, ease, and speed of access, it can’t be beat.

When it comes to print versus digital, I do remember one occasion where I wanted to find a specific tip that I read in a book, and I remembered which book it was. (Thankfully I have a pretty good memory, even once quoting an article from a magazine I had read ten years prior.) But it still took me nearly 30 minutes to find that important bit of info. If I had that book in a digital format (not an option for it), I could have easily had that tip in about 30 seconds or less from a simple keyword search.

So, while I still would prefer a printed copy due to my old-school ways, I will transition over to the digital version and be thankful that W&E Treasures magazine is still around, and finding articles/information out of past issues will be much faster. Although I’m not getting rid of my hard copy material anytime soon, even if it is less efficient.
    Last edited by cactusman; Feb 05, 2019 at 01:30 AM.
    basssmann and dsdigger like this.
    Money may not grow on trees, but it's often found under them!

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2896 times
    Well, I too found out yesterday about the "digital only" future of W&E, and I really was saddened by it. For many years I've enjoyed sitting down with a "Printed" copy of a good magazine, or reading a really good paperback book. The laptop for me is more of a tool, one I use to "look up" information, or to dabble a bit on Ancestry, and to start my mornings with Treasure Net, like now. The "printed" material is again for me, a simple pleasure to enjoy reading in a recliner with my feet up, in my own little world. I have no interest to read any book or magazine "on line". I would take past copies to metal detector meetings for anyone to take home, and I would always keep a couple of copies in my car for anyone who would approach me while detecting who was clearly interested about detecting. Seems that has now ended. I really have no interest to continue a magazine subscription that I can't hold in hand. I subscribe to ARCHAEOLOGY, WORLD ARCHAEOLOGY, HISTORY REVEALED, and BBC HISTORY magazine's, all of which I enjoy at my leisure. If THEY were to go "digital only", I would no longer continue with those either, but it is what it is, can't change it. So then, here's a question, just like others, I recently signed on with W&E for two more years, can I "opt out" for "digital only" and receive a refund for the remainder of my subscription? Probably not.
    Davers and dsdigger like this.

Oct 2016
    937 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    Printed is relaxing before going to sleep. I have found that even my own sales only a small fraction are Kindle (digital) compared to printed paperbacks.

us
    Aug 2008
    Wisconsin
    Tesoro DeLeon & Cortes
    1 times

We are all getting screwed

Like many others I like the paper version. I usually pay more for the paper. However I feel that W&E have screwed a lot of us. I just renewed my subscription for two years for $62 Now on their website they selling a one year digital for $15! Also I haven't gotten their letter "how to get the digital copy" and their site gives no help. And Tesoro closing just after buying a new Cortes. Seems like our hobby just keeps on getting screwed.
    dsdigger likes this.

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    2371 times
    Metal Detecting
    I can depend on the paper...I can NOT, however, always depend on 📶. 😞
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

neo
    us
    Jul 2013
    Hickory NC
    Bounty hunter 2
    112 times
    Well got the letter in the mail how to switch to digital and surprise surprise website will not accept my debit or credit card so I have no access to the digital. I'm definitely done with this magazine.

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    XP Deus, White's DFX
    5389 times
    One concern that hasn't been noted yet is, will the forums go away if the digital magazine doesn't work out?
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel.

Oct 2016
    937 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    There are other places.

us
    Aug 2007
    Western New York
    CTX-3030, Equinox 800
    4953 times
    What I hate is that you can't download the magazine! If I'm paying for digital I want it on my hard drive to view whenever and wherever I want! Plus I hate the clunky viewer they use. I got a letter in the mail giving me a code to get a free year of digital subscription. I will not be renewing my subscription.
    dsdigger, sprailroad and Megalodon like this.

WhyMe

CTX-3030, Equinox 800

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    9791 times
    March 2019 is the last printed issue. All the rest are "e"

I'm e-challenged, & my phone doesn't have alot of storage.
    Not happy, i don't want to try and read something i enjoy, on a lighted screen. I like paper, page numbers and the ability to thumb thru glance and read, and re-read. 😩

us
    Wheres The Gold

Feb 2010
    Vancouver WA
    Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro) Chug and Reds New Additions Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250 Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
    2537 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Red just bought me a 2 yr subscription for our anniversary nothing was mentioned at the time of purchase on the 4 of Feb. Not Happy about this chug
    "It cant Always Be Silver Or Gold But It Is A Hell Of an Experience Pulling It Out Of the Dirt"

Metal detecting is Like A Marathon, Your Running fast then start Slowing A Bit The You Find Something Interesting And You Pick Up the Pace!!! The Only Difference is If You Are Addicted to this Hobby there Is NO FINISH LINE HH Chug And Red

Director Road Operations Port Authority Pittsburgh (Retired)

Jun 2008
    Jefferson Hills, Pa
    Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark
    144 times
    Thank you! Never heard of American Digger Mag! Watched a bunch of youtubes and subscribed last night, thanks again!
    Retired military veteran 23 years Army/Air Force. Six years Army Security Agency, seventeen years Air Force Reserves. Other hobbies include radio controled aircraft, build model aircraft stands for sale, firing my Smith Wesson 9mm, 357 magnum, and K-22 Model 17 Masterpiece, copying morse code on my completely restored military R-391.

us
    Wheres The Gold

Feb 2010
    Vancouver WA
    Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro) Chug and Reds New Additions Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250 Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
    2537 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chug And Red View Post
    Red just bought me a 2 yr subscription for our anniversary nothing was mentioned at the time of purchase on the 4 of Feb. Not Happy about this chug
    Sent a message to the editor about this they have refunded the purchase price and sent a nice note along with it HH Chug
    dsdigger and sprailroad like this.
    "It cant Always Be Silver Or Gold But It Is A Hell Of an Experience Pulling It Out Of the Dirt"

Metal detecting is Like A Marathon, Your Running fast then start Slowing A Bit The You Find Something Interesting And You Pick Up the Pace!!! The Only Difference is If You Are Addicted to this Hobby there Is NO FINISH LINE HH Chug And Red

us
    Knowledge in machine struck coinage and colonial through 1800's Relics.

Feb 2013
    New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Woods
    Teknetics T2 SE (DST) Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup) 15" T2 coil Pro-Pointer Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 Fisher F2 Fisher F-Point
    5647 times
    Coins and Relics
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That sucks! I love reading this great magazine before bed, in print. Reading anything off a screen will just keep me up or give me a headache. Also, when I write for them, nothing beats getting that big envelope in the mail with a fresh copy of Western & Eastern that I know contains the article that I spent days working on.
    2014-2017 Finds
    1700s Sundial
    165? french liard
    1696 1774 1730s 17?? copper
    1723 irish Ĺ penny
    1730 KG coin toy
    2x AU 1803 LC
    1722 1/2 Penny
    1779, 1781Ĺ Real, ? 1 Real
    NJ Copper 1786
    1805,1838 LC
    26 Coppers 17 colonial