Western & Eastern Treasures going all digital? Say it ain’t so!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well got the letter in the mail how to switch to digital and surprise surprise website will not accept my debit or credit card so I have no access to the digital. I'm definitely done with this magazine.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One concern that hasn't been noted yet is, will the forums go away if the digital magazine doesn't work out?

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I hate is that you can't download the magazine! If I'm paying for digital I want it on my hard drive to view whenever and wherever I want! Plus I hate the clunky viewer they use. I got a letter in the mail giving me a code to get a free year of digital subscription. I will not be renewing my subscription.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
March 2019 is the last printed issue. All the rest are "e"

I'm e-challenged, & my phone doesn't have alot of storage.
Not happy, i don't want to try and read something i enjoy, on a lighted screen. I like paper, page numbers and the ability to thumb thru glance and read, and re-read. 😩

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red just bought me a 2 yr subscription for our anniversary :BangHead: nothing was mentioned at the time of purchase on the 4 of Feb. Not Happy about this chug

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! Never heard of American Digger Mag! Watched a bunch of youtubes and subscribed last night, thanks again!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red just bought me a 2 yr subscription for our anniversary :BangHead: nothing was mentioned at the time of purchase on the 4 of Feb. Not Happy about this chug

Sent a message to the editor about this they have refunded the purchase price and sent a nice note along with it HH Chug

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
That sucks! I love reading this great magazine before bed, in print. Reading anything off a screen will just keep me up or give me a headache. Also, when I write for them, nothing beats getting that big envelope in the mail with a fresh copy of Western & Eastern that I know contains the article that I spent days working on.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, like a lot of the magazines I used to read, they are dropping print in favor of the online and like everyone else, sometimes I would rather have the hardcopy in hand. I can read it in bed or bathroom without worrying about wi-fi, the storage is an issue if you don't have a person cloud to store it on and of course, it is cheaper. I work for a software company and my job is less and less as the items I bought for the boxed, shelf product go away. The upcoming (millennials?) subscribers don't want all the stuff, manuals, boxes, cds, book, etc. that take up space or can't be accessed so industry goes with the flow and everything gets put on down load and digital subscription. I like to have something to hold in my hands. Another magazine to not worry about finding.:BangHead:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is true. I have been in touch with Steve and Rosemary. Because of this, I will no longer be a Free Lance contributor to the magazine. I have written many articles for them over the years, but refuse to do so when I have to read the magazine at my kitchen table on a computer screen. Not only will I no longer write for them, I am not renewing my subscription when it is due in July. This is a true shame, as I have been a 20 + year subscriber. There are many members in my club who feel the same way, and will no longer subscribe "digitally".

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is true. I have been in touch with Steve and Rosemary. Because of this, I will no longer be a Free Lance contributor to the magazine. I have written many articles for them over the years, but refuse to do so when I have to read the magazine at my kitchen table on a computer screen. Not only will I no longer write for them, I am not renewing my subscription when it is due in July. This is a true shame, as I have been a 20 + year subscriber. There are many members in my club who feel the same way, and will no longer subscribe "digitally".

In your communications, did the issue of declining subscriptions come up? I wonder if a certain number of new print subscriptions might reverse their decision.

I was a lurker on tnet until they offered the free trial subscription for tnet members. I tried it and found their viewer was simply not user-friendly. I also prefer the comfort of the print mag before crashing at night.

Thanks for your contributions to the publication.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your communications, did the issue of declining subscriptions come up? I wonder if a certain number of new print subscriptions might reverse their decision.

I was a lurker on tnet until they offered the free trial subscription for tnet members. I tried it and found their viewer was simply not user-friendly. I also prefer the comfort of the print mag before crashing at night.

Thanks for your contributions to the publication.
That issue specifically did not come up. All I was told, was that we would no longer receive a copy in the mail, and the magazine will no longer be available at Barnes and Noble, or other newsstands. I do not know if an influx of emails, letters or phone calls will change their minds or not, or at least give those of us who want a print copy the option to have a print copy. I'm sure they are just going by way of the computer like everything else is. That does not mean you can't let them know how you feel.

Junk Monkey

Greenie
Dec 10, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, Whites DFX and Fisher F75.
Well, that explains what happened to my magazine. Another casualty of the times. Looks like I will just forget the thing and hang on to the old mags I still have. Just wish the publishers would be honest enough to refund the portion of my unused three year subscription instead of just assuming that I would be glad to try and use that horrible method of reading a digital magazine. No renewal on this end.

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So despite wanting to cancel i gave it a try they did improve a lot however i just hate the digital format. After my subscription ends next month i will gladly be looking for a print magazine about treasure hunting.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this thread has been around for almost a year now, but I just subscribed to American Digger. It is a little expensive, but at least I have the option to take it with me and read it wherever I want to. I just like a good old magazine in the mail, or from the bookstore.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think they would have been wiser if they had went bi-monthly and kept the print instead of doing away with it entirely. They could have cut their costs in half and bulked up the magazines a little more and I think most subscribers would have been more understanding and accepting of that instead of suddenly going a hundred-percent digital. I personally would not have had a problem paying the same price if they did that.

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they would have been wiser if they had went bi-monthly and kept the print instead of doing away with it entirely. They could have cut their costs in half and bulked up the magazines a little more and I think most subscribers would have been more understanding and accepting of that instead of suddenly going a hundred-percent digital. I personally would not have had a problem paying the same price if they did that.
True i would have been happy with that or the choice of print or digital which some magazines do. Have they ever covered ghost towns in the southeast im in western nc and would love some info on local ones but every magazine seems to cover places out west. I imagine because there were so many but hate the east coast ones seem to be lost to time if we go by magazines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions