Western & Eastern Treasures going all digital? Say it ain’t so!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

I’m reading the March, 2019 edition of W&ET and came across this:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549129206.623072.jpg

Is it really going out of print to go all digital? That sucks. I love the joy of getting the magazine in the mail and I don’t always want to read off a screen, especially if I’m reading before going to sleep.

Super disappointed, I’m hoping I just misunderstand what’s being said here.

-W

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost Treasures went away and not this publication. Digital on line version is suppose to be available for a fee. Some how I cannot see me setting on the john with my lap top or pad. :happysmiley: In the future there might be a on line version of metal detecting and you will only be able to do that instead of actually getting out and digging.

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate it too, I'm so tired of reading on a screen all the time. I love grabbing a magazine and sitting down to read, I even signed up for two-year subscription and it's a going digital.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was on the fence about renewing my subscription...not any more. 😞

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really going to miss it. I wonder how long you will be able to view the digital version. I have paper copies from well over twenty years ago that I can access anytime I want.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda makes me think that some of these folks that are running these outfits are suffering from what is now known as "DEVICE ADDICTION".

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I think a major point will be how it is made available. I have some digital magazines that I can download as a .pdf file and I can keep them forever and do whatever I want to with them. Others make you use and online reading service which restricts what can be done with it and possibly how long it will be available. It is a money saving move for the publisher. Looks at digital distribution and storage costs versus print. Also, from a reader standpoint, I can save and store a ton of digital magazines on a single memory card.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s sucks. I don’t feel like such a millennial dirt bag when I’m reading my paper edition of my favorite periodical.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that explaines why i didn't get the Jan. Issue. I'm about 6 months behind in reading them.
....it really sucks cause i just renewed for 2 years. What do they do if you don't have an e-mail address? I don't have a device i can have them downloaded to.
My phone storage sucks. [emoji30]
Done in by the e--world....again!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like havinv the magazine myself

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washingtonian, wow, your right, I just re-read my magazine and saw this posting.... holy crap, that sucks.. I love the magazine, I have been getting it 20 ++ years. I guess I'm suppose to get a letter in the mail, telling me how to get it on line from now on... I'll see how it go's.. I always keep a couple copies in my bathroom.. lol Won't be the same... too much modern tech tech.... I couldn't even pay cash for my checked bag at the airport, must be on a card... Who doesn't like CASH ????

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I renewed for 2019. If this is true, last year to do so. I can find all kinds of crud on the internet to look at.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I renewed for 2019. If this is true, last year to do so. I can find all kinds of crud on the internet to look at.

Exactly. I purposefully signed up because I appreciate the print medium. I know this probably saves them some money but man, I think they’re going to lose are huge share of their readership. I can already read all the stories I want online on TNet, metaldetectingforum, findmall. Super disappointed.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is bad news. There's still American Digger which is an excellent magazine.

mixed signals

Greenie
Jan 30, 2014
pa
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya that is a bummer. I just got my renewal and I always got paper. They were the last one that I subscribed to and I'm not interested in digital so I guess I'm out. Just going to have to get out and do more of the real thing. Good luck this year to all

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all honesty, most mags aren't worth more then a 2 years' subscription. They tend to just re-hash old articles.

PopSci has been running the Flying Car is 5 Years Away article for 50+ years.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was very saddened to read this as well, as I have been a print subscriber to W&E Treasures magazine for many years. I’m old-school, preferring something to hold versus something digital. Whenever I go on a trip by car, train, or airplane I ALWAYS have a printed book to read with me, usually several. I almost always have a copy of W&E with me as well.

The irony of my emotions is twofold, as one, I am the editor for a large online website (nothing to do with treasure hunting) and have been doing that for going on 18 years, so digital is normal for me. And two, as a cache hunter I have always said that the Internet is the single greatest research tool ever created by mankind. It’s far from the only research tool that one needs, but for sheer volume, ease, and speed of access, it can’t be beat.

When it comes to print versus digital, I do remember one occasion where I wanted to find a specific tip that I read in a book, and I remembered which book it was. (Thankfully I have a pretty good memory, even once quoting an article from a magazine I had read ten years prior.) But it still took me nearly 30 minutes to find that important bit of info. If I had that book in a digital format (not an option for it), I could have easily had that tip in about 30 seconds or less from a simple keyword search.

So, while I still would prefer a printed copy due to my old-school ways, I will transition over to the digital version and be thankful that W&E Treasures magazine is still around, and finding articles/information out of past issues will be much faster. Although I’m not getting rid of my hard copy material anytime soon, even if it is less efficient.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I too found out yesterday about the "digital only" future of W&E, and I really was saddened by it. For many years I've enjoyed sitting down with a "Printed" copy of a good magazine, or reading a really good paperback book. The laptop for me is more of a tool, one I use to "look up" information, or to dabble a bit on Ancestry, and to start my mornings with Treasure Net, like now. The "printed" material is again for me, a simple pleasure to enjoy reading in a recliner with my feet up, in my own little world. I have no interest to read any book or magazine "on line". I would take past copies to metal detector meetings for anyone to take home, and I would always keep a couple of copies in my car for anyone who would approach me while detecting who was clearly interested about detecting. Seems that has now ended. I really have no interest to continue a magazine subscription that I can't hold in hand. I subscribe to ARCHAEOLOGY, WORLD ARCHAEOLOGY, HISTORY REVEALED, and BBC HISTORY magazine's, all of which I enjoy at my leisure. If THEY were to go "digital only", I would no longer continue with those either, but it is what it is, can't change it. So then, here's a question, just like others, I recently signed on with W&E for two more years, can I "opt out" for "digital only" and receive a refund for the remainder of my subscription? Probably not.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Printed is relaxing before going to sleep. I have found that even my own sales only a small fraction are Kindle (digital) compared to printed paperbacks.

ogerto4

Aug 17, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon & Cortes
We are all getting screwed

:BangHead: Like many others I like the paper version. I usually pay more for the paper. However I feel that W&E have screwed a lot of us. I just renewed my subscription for two years for $62 Now on their website they selling a one year digital for $15! Also I haven't gotten their letter "how to get the digital copy" and their site gives no help. And Tesoro closing just after buying a new Cortes. Seems like our hobby just keeps on getting screwed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread