Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: AT Pro - standing on the trade-it-in ledge

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16
    Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

    May 2012
    11,997
    17277 times
    Buy a Nox.
    Learn it while using it on sites you hunted with your Pro. That does not mean you missed each recovery with your Pro. But can mean such with some.
    Then go back over the new sites you have not hunted with your AT Pro , after running the Nox.. Or vise versa.

    Different days conditions can make a big difference using one detector alone.
    Different detectors can make a difference in the same conditions .....

    You'll need to have learned both detectors well though , to be fair in comparison. With an in your case expected edge with the Nox..

    Don't let some kid with a Bounty Hunter (or any other perceived lesser brand) follow you during testing though.....L.o.l.. Data could get skewed that way.


    Always a seemingly better detector out there.
    The last one I bought (Ace 350, an upgrade from a 100 series) was when the AT Pro were just getting started. I went with a known un buggy proven unit is all.

    Informal competition using a Pro , overall beat me by a couple older coins. But had more time on site too. Knowing where those coins were recovered and their depth and the specific conditions where they rested.... I'll concede the Pro is better than the 350 no problem ,but it was close overall. I hit silvers the Pro either missed , or did not get the coil set precisely at the right couple millimeters it needed , or .....non desired targets screened them or was considered the target and undesired I did pull one with iron above/with it.

    And user experience as well as current being on your game/harmony with your detector really can matter more than brand or model.(In theory. Hey ,of course we should excel if running the best unit...)

    I won't name the brand watched with multiple users valued well beyond out Pro and 350 , but they cruised the site repeatedly without scoring to our knowledge. Rarely making any attempt at a recovery.
    Not sure what they were after , but they had their hands full with multiple targets. Mostly trash but it's not known what they could i.d. below trash.
    None returned that I know of......
    Last edited by releventchair; Feb 03, 2019 at 01:01 PM.
    lenmac65 and Davers like this.

  2. #17
    us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro
    176
    521 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post

    Don't let some kid with a Bounty Hunter (or any other perceived lesser brand) follow you during testing though.....L.o.l.. Data could get skewed that way.
    ..
    Very funny. Thanks for the detailed reply. Gives me more to consider.
    releventchair likes this.

  3. #18
    us
    steve andermatt

    Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    4,720
    4299 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I think if you went back in time on Tnet to when the AT Pro made it's debut you would find as many posts saying it was the best out there. I believe every new detector gets that hype about it.It is someones new toy and they want to say how their new toy is better than your old toy.Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but until you completely know your machine your going to always want the bigger and better machine on the market.IMO
    releventchair and lenmac65 like this.
    back of the boat

  4. #19
    us
    steve andermatt

    Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    4,720
    4299 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Another thing is try your pro in another environment I don't think you mentioned anywhere in your post, try some freshwater hunting, your AT pro is waterproof to 10 feet if you find some old swimming spots old silver coins might start finding your coil.
    lenmac65 likes this.
    back of the boat

  5. #20

    Sep 2013
    New England
    Garrett AT Pro; F75
    858
    954 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I own an ATP. Mindcrime's last line in his comment says it all. You want to like your ATP more? ; get a 5x8 coil. I've hunted sites ; mostly cellars, and will put my ATP against any of them including the Minelab (headache machine).I love my F75, but it simply is not better or deeper no matter what you read or hear. Your only reason to get another detector would be just to try another or spend some money that's burning a hole in your pocket .PS I've found well over 200 coppers with my ATP; mostly between 6 and 8 inches deep.
    Last edited by Gaspipe; Feb 03, 2019 at 02:24 PM.
    lenmac65, mindcrime1988 and dts52 like this.

  6. #21
    us
    Lord ringpull

    Oct 2015
    Kannapolis nc
    Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero
    249
    265 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The t2 is what i've been looking at a lot lately.
    lenmac65 likes this.

  7. #22
    Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    7,027
    6395 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Under “Today’s Finds” a father and son just found two gold coins, one each. I believe they were using the AT Pro!
    lenmac65 likes this.


    We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

  8. #23
    Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    23,584
    23156 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Hello lenmac65,

    IMHO:

    I live in Massachusetts and have found all of your "bucket list" of coins with the AT Pro. I also use Minelab, Tesoro and Whites and guess what, I found all of those items. Yes, there are better machines (new/old) that will find those targets. If you are not recovering those targets it's the location and most likely a combination of these: complete more research, slow down, swing parallel to the ground, learn your machine and be a student of the hobby.

    GL & HH

    Doc

  9. #24
    Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

    Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    19,587
    23930 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    At pro is a great deep machine dont listen to the outdated remarks The 800 was so hyped you gotta talk it up when youve spent a grand on it I use both At so much simpler more features roll tone iron audio notch out ect the key is getting your coil over the target
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)


    SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

  10. #25
    us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro
    176
    521 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-of-the-boat View Post
    I think if you went back in time on Tnet to when the AT Pro made it's debut you would find as many posts saying it was the best out there. I believe every new detector gets that hype about it.It is someones new toy and they want to say how their new toy is better than your old toy.Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but until you completely know your machine your going to always want the bigger and better machine on the market.IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-of-the-boat View Post
    Another thing is try your pro in another environment I don't think you mentioned anywhere in your post, try some freshwater hunting, your AT pro is waterproof to 10 feet if you find some old swimming spots old silver coins might start finding your coil.
    I suspect you are right about that. As for the water, I am going to try that this summer, as fields will be grown and I really shouldn't cut holes in turf if hot. Thanks for the insights!
    Back-of-the-boat likes this.

  11. #26
    us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro
    176
    521 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipe View Post
    I own an ATP. Mindcrime's last line in his comment says it all. You want to like your ATP more? ; get a 5x8 coil. I've hunted sites ; mostly cellars, and will put my ATP against any of them including the Minelab (headache machine).I love my F75, but it simply is not better or deeper no matter what you read or hear. Your only reason to get another detector would be just to try another or spend some money that's burning a hole in your pocket .PS I've found well over 200 coppers with my ATP; mostly between 6 and 8 inches deep.
    j Glad to hear you have had such success with the 5X8 coil. I did buy that coil, but have not used it much yet as I want to cover large spaces and maximize depth right now. I am going to give it a better shot in some trashy areas I have done already. Thanks for your thoughts!

    By the way, 200 coppers is amazing. I am most encouraged that you found many of them in a depth that I know my detector reaches.
    Last edited by lenmac65; Feb 04, 2019 at 11:30 AM.

  12. #27
    us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro
    176
    521 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyGold View Post
    Under “Today’s Finds” a father and son just found two gold coins, one each. I believe they were using the AT Pro!
    I took a look. Awesome! Feeling better and better about my AT Pro.
    RustyGold likes this.

  13. #28
    us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro
    176
    521 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor of Engineering View Post
    Hello lenmac65,

    IMHO:

    I live in Massachusetts and have found all of your "bucket list" of coins with the AT Pro. I also use Minelab, Tesoro and Whites and guess what, I found all of those items. Yes, there are better machines (new/old) that will find those targets. If you are not recovering those targets it's the location and most likely a combination of these: complete more research, slow down, swing parallel to the ground, learn your machine and be a student of the hobby.

    GL & HH

    Doc
    Thank you, neighbor. I find that encouraging and will be sure to follow your tips.

  14. #29
    us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro
    176
    521 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    At pro is a great deep machine dont listen to the outdated remarks The 800 was so hyped you gotta talk it up when youve spent a grand on it I use both At so much simpler more features roll tone iron audio notch out ect the key is getting your coil over the target
    Thanks! I guess it was just hard for me to ignore the finds I saw lately with the Equinox. I just wanted assurance that the AT Pro was still a great machine and that its finds aren't limited to clad and more shallow targets. I like the machine and have found some good stuff, I just wanted a greater comfort level that I wasn't missing too much. I am easing off the ledge now, thanks to all the encouragement and tips I got here.

  15. #30
    us
    Robert

    Mar 2017
    Northwest Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro
    76
    173 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have owned a ATP for two years, it was my first metal detector. I have found more things with that machine then a newbie should including a Fugio cent in my front yard as well as other coppers and silver. I bought a second ATP last February while away on vacation I thought that would be a machine for my wife. I think it’s still a relevant machine although I am looking to upgrade to an equinox 800. Being in Connecticut I have the luxury of having access to both fresh and saltwater . the ATP does well in the dry sand and I have found rings, chains and other jewelry with it but it is horrible in the wet sand and salt water. If I didn’t have access to salt water I don’t believe I would be planning a change. Either way I will still have both machines and I look forward to learning the 800
    lenmac65, dts52 and CarsonChris like this.
    You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Ledge of Gold in the Superstitions
    By John_Arizona in forum The Lost Dutchman's Mine
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: Aug 24, 2017, 03:49 PM
  2. Lost Lee Ledge
    By pegleglooker in forum California
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Nov 14, 2010, 09:26 PM
  3. Talk me down from the ledge!!!
    By dlrwaitnonadime in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: Nov 07, 2010, 10:35 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: Mar 01, 2010, 10:59 PM
  5. Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jun 09, 2009, 03:52 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0