Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: AT Pro - standing on the trade-it-in ledge

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    672 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsil View Post
    I wouldn't worry about your ATP, it will find pretty much what an Equinox will find. I have friends in MA who use ATPs and they have some fantastic finds on early coins and relics. The Nox's multi-freq is way better in hot soil conditions and the salt beaches but MA soil is not that hot and I don't think the ATP will have any problems in your soil. No machine will find anything unless one gets the coil over a target, and getting your coil over good targets is the whole game. If you are patient I think you will do as well with the ATP as the Nox, and I have both. One thing I really like about the ATP is that there are many coil options available for it, and coils make machines more versatile.
    gunsil you are right. for a long time I thought it was the AT Pro, so got the Nox 800. I now have come to the conclusion it is getting good permissions. Either the AT Pro or 800 will do fine here in Atlanta as long as there are targets under your coil. I am now stepping up my permissions game. So far 4 for 4 in the permissions department.
    A2coins, dts52 and lenmac65 like this.

us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro
    317 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer287 View Post
    I have owned a ATP for two years, it was my first metal detector. I have found more things with that machine then a newbie should including a Fugio cent in my front yard as well as other coppers and silver. I bought a second ATP last February while away on vacation I thought that would be a machine for my wife. I think it’s still a relevant machine although I am looking to upgrade to an equinox 800. Being in Connecticut I have the luxury of having access to both fresh and saltwater . the ATP does well in the dry sand and I have found rings, chains and other jewelry with it but it is horrible in the wet sand and salt water. If I didn’t have access to salt water I don’t believe I would be planning a change. Either way I will still have both machines and I look forward to learning the 800
    Thanks for the feedback. This is my first detector too. I haven't tried it on a saltwater beach yet, as I usually can't spare the drive time. I will keep your observations in mind though. Congratulations on the Fugio. I hope that was a banner find.
    Hammer287 likes this.

us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    1346 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    Quote Originally Posted by lenmac65 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. This is my first detector too. I haven't tried it on a saltwater beach yet, as I usually can't spare the drive time. I will keep your observations in mind though. Congratulations on the Fugio. I hope that was a banner find.
    Just a bit of advice, take it for what it's worth. If you're hunting a saltwater beach with the Pro, stay on the dry sand, well above the waterline. The Pro reads subsurface salt water as a good target and you'll go crazy (as I have) digging targets that turn out to be only water at 4 or 5 inches. If you do want to try the macine in the wet sand or in the salt water, ground balance often and turn your sensitivity WAY down...only way to eliminate constant chatter. Good luck, let us know how you make out.
    HH
    dts
    lenmac65 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    19352 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    On the other side of the coin, or looking backwards, how many former AT PRO owners would go back. I owned an AT PRO for two years. It paid for itself in 18 months in Clad coins. I upgraded to an Etrac and there was no looking back. I upgraded again and purchased a CTX 3030. This was all in NYC with it's history. Again I decided to go light and purchased a DEUS. Although any of these machines will find gold, eventually I decided to get into salt water beach hunting and purchased an Excalibur. In my opinion, there is no better salt water hunting machine. I now own 2 Excaliburs.
    If you were to ask me if I would ever purchase another AT PRO? Knowing what I know, it would be a step backwards.
    Last edited by against the wind; Feb 06, 2019 at 06:11 PM.
    lenmac65 likes this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Apr 2007
    Gulf Coast, Texas
    AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
    31 times
    If you want to talk yourself into a new machine, it is easy to do..When new detectors come out they always sound great..Same thing with my other hobbies Astronomy, Ham Radio, and Drag Racing....Sooner or later you just are happy with what you have, and learn what it can do..I too hear the call of the 800 in my ear, but am going to wait a while..Im not nearly as a serious detectorist as others on here, and just cant justify the expense, especially when that "great new" Telescope is calling me too... AT Pro is a great machine......You can pretty much find anything the "others" can as long as you get the coil over it, and realize the Salt limitations....HH....Tom
    lenmac65 likes this.
    ENGLISH, SPEAK IT, USE IT.......
    Better Living Thru Chemistry
    Live Long, and Prosper

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    17363 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    The AT Pro is a good machine. You have to have the stuff in the ground to begin with. The AT's have certainly found their share of goodies. The technology still works. There are other machines available but to each his own. I'd stay with what you have through this season. Then decide if you want something else.

There are benefits and downfalls to every detector made.
    lenmac65 likes this.

Feb 2019
    Carson City NV
    Equinox 800, AT Pro
    31 times
    I have an AT Pro, I ordered a Nox. There is a specific trail I’ve hunted 3 times with the Pro. As soon as the Nox arrives(delayed to extreme weather) I’m going to hunt that trail a fourth time. One area, where I haven’t found anything, seems like it should have coins. I get so much iron interference it sounds like a continuous scratchy mess. I will let you know if I find anything there!
    lenmac65 and digger460 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2015
    Southeast Grundy, Illinois
    EQ6 and a Carrot
    3108 times
    See if you can find a fellow md'er with an EQ, and go out to a site that you have hit pretty good. Might be an eye-opener? Good Luck!
    lenmac65 likes this.
    "See your doctor if your detector has a detection for more then four hours!"

Apr 2017
    MINNESOTA
    AT Pro In the market for new or used Deus.
    795 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If you're committed to the hobby like it sounds you are, I'd say sell the ATPro, save up some bucks, and purchase an Equinox (if you want to stay under $1k). There's no debate that it's a more capable machine. I bet you'd be happy you did.
    Iffy Signals and lenmac65 like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links