Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Under “Today’s Finds” a father and son just found two gold coins, one each. I believe they were using the AT Pro!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello lenmac65,

IMHO:

I live in Massachusetts and have found all of your "bucket list" of coins with the AT Pro. I also use Minelab, Tesoro and Whites and guess what, I found all of those items. Yes, there are better machines (new/old) that will find those targets. If you are not recovering those targets it's the location and most likely a combination of these: complete more research, slow down, swing parallel to the ground, learn your machine and be a student of the hobby.

GL & HH

Doc

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro is a great deep machine dont listen to the outdated remarks The 800 was so hyped you gotta talk it up when youve spent a grand on it I use both At so much simpler more features roll tone iron audio notch out ect the key is getting your coil over the target

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think if you went back in time on Tnet to when the AT Pro made it's debut you would find as many posts saying it was the best out there. I believe every new detector gets that hype about it.It is someones new toy and they want to say how their new toy is better than your old toy.Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but until you completely know your machine your going to always want the bigger and better machine on the market.IMO

Another thing is try your pro in another environment I don't think you mentioned anywhere in your post, try some freshwater hunting, your AT pro is waterproof to 10 feet if you find some old swimming spots old silver coins might start finding your coil.

I suspect you are right about that. As for the water, I am going to try that this summer, as fields will be grown and I really shouldn't cut holes in turf if hot. Thanks for the insights!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own an ATP. Mindcrime's last line in his comment says it all. You want to like your ATP more? ; get a 5x8 coil. I've hunted sites ; mostly cellars, and will put my ATP against any of them including the Minelab (headache machine).I love my F75, but it simply is not better or deeper no matter what you read or hear. Your only reason to get another detector would be just to try another or spend some money that's burning a hole in your pocket .PS I've found well over 200 coppers with my ATP; mostly between 6 and 8 inches deep.
j Glad to hear you have had such success with the 5X8 coil. I did buy that coil, but have not used it much yet as I want to cover large spaces and maximize depth right now. I am going to give it a better shot in some trashy areas I have done already. Thanks for your thoughts!

By the way, 200 coppers is amazing. I am most encouraged that you found many of them in a depth that I know my detector reaches.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Under “Today’s Finds” a father and son just found two gold coins, one each. I believe they were using the AT Pro!
I took a look. Awesome! Feeling better and better about my AT Pro.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello lenmac65,

IMHO:

I live in Massachusetts and have found all of your "bucket list" of coins with the AT Pro. I also use Minelab, Tesoro and Whites and guess what, I found all of those items. Yes, there are better machines (new/old) that will find those targets. If you are not recovering those targets it's the location and most likely a combination of these: complete more research, slow down, swing parallel to the ground, learn your machine and be a student of the hobby.

GL & HH

Doc
Thank you, neighbor. I find that encouraging and will be sure to follow your tips.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At pro is a great deep machine dont listen to the outdated remarks The 800 was so hyped you gotta talk it up when youve spent a grand on it I use both At so much simpler more features roll tone iron audio notch out ect the key is getting your coil over the target
Thanks! I guess it was just hard for me to ignore the finds I saw lately with the Equinox. I just wanted assurance that the AT Pro was still a great machine and that its finds aren't limited to clad and more shallow targets. I like the machine and have found some good stuff, I just wanted a greater comfort level that I wasn't missing too much. I am easing off the ledge now, thanks to all the encouragement and tips I got here.

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned a ATP for two years, it was my first metal detector. I have found more things with that machine then a newbie should including a Fugio cent in my front yard as well as other coppers and silver. I bought a second ATP last February while away on vacation I thought that would be a machine for my wife. I think it’s still a relevant machine although I am looking to upgrade to an equinox 800. Being in Connecticut I have the luxury of having access to both fresh and saltwater . the ATP does well in the dry sand and I have found rings, chains and other jewelry with it but it is horrible in the wet sand and salt water. If I didn’t have access to salt water I don’t believe I would be planning a change. Either way I will still have both machines and I look forward to learning the 800

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't worry about your ATP, it will find pretty much what an Equinox will find. I have friends in MA who use ATPs and they have some fantastic finds on early coins and relics. The Nox's multi-freq is way better in hot soil conditions and the salt beaches but MA soil is not that hot and I don't think the ATP will have any problems in your soil. No machine will find anything unless one gets the coil over a target, and getting your coil over good targets is the whole game. If you are patient I think you will do as well with the ATP as the Nox, and I have both. One thing I really like about the ATP is that there are many coil options available for it, and coils make machines more versatile.

gunsil you are right. for a long time I thought it was the AT Pro, so got the Nox 800. I now have come to the conclusion it is getting good permissions. Either the AT Pro or 800 will do fine here in Atlanta as long as there are targets under your coil. I am now stepping up my permissions game. So far 4 for 4 in the permissions department.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have owned a ATP for two years, it was my first metal detector. I have found more things with that machine then a newbie should including a Fugio cent in my front yard as well as other coppers and silver. I bought a second ATP last February while away on vacation I thought that would be a machine for my wife. I think it’s still a relevant machine although I am looking to upgrade to an equinox 800. Being in Connecticut I have the luxury of having access to both fresh and saltwater . the ATP does well in the dry sand and I have found rings, chains and other jewelry with it but it is horrible in the wet sand and salt water. If I didn’t have access to salt water I don’t believe I would be planning a change. Either way I will still have both machines and I look forward to learning the 800
Thanks for the feedback. This is my first detector too. I haven't tried it on a saltwater beach yet, as I usually can't spare the drive time. I will keep your observations in mind though. Congratulations on the Fugio. I hope that was a banner find.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the feedback. This is my first detector too. I haven't tried it on a saltwater beach yet, as I usually can't spare the drive time. I will keep your observations in mind though. Congratulations on the Fugio. I hope that was a banner find.

Just a bit of advice, take it for what it's worth. If you're hunting a saltwater beach with the Pro, stay on the dry sand, well above the waterline. The Pro reads subsurface salt water as a good target and you'll go crazy (as I have) digging targets that turn out to be only water at 4 or 5 inches. If you do want to try the macine in the wet sand or in the salt water, ground balance often and turn your sensitivity WAY down...only way to eliminate constant chatter. Good luck, let us know how you make out.
HH
dts

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the other side of the coin, or looking backwards, how many former AT PRO owners would go back. I owned an AT PRO for two years. It paid for itself in 18 months in Clad coins. I upgraded to an Etrac and there was no looking back. I upgraded again and purchased a CTX 3030. This was all in NYC with it's history. Again I decided to go light and purchased a DEUS. Although any of these machines will find gold, eventually I decided to get into salt water beach hunting and purchased an Excalibur. In my opinion, there is no better salt water hunting machine. I now own 2 Excaliburs.
If you were to ask me if I would ever purchase another AT PRO? Knowing what I know, it would be a step backwards.

Last edited:

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to talk yourself into a new machine, it is easy to do..When new detectors come out they always sound great..Same thing with my other hobbies Astronomy, Ham Radio, and Drag Racing....Sooner or later you just are happy with what you have, and learn what it can do..I too hear the call of the 800 in my ear, but am going to wait a while..Im not nearly as a serious detectorist as others on here, and just cant justify the expense, especially when that "great new" Telescope is calling me too... AT Pro is a great machine......You can pretty much find anything the "others" can as long as you get the coil over it, and realize the Salt limitations....HH....Tom

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro is a good machine. You have to have the stuff in the ground to begin with. The AT's have certainly found their share of goodies. The technology still works. There are other machines available but to each his own. I'd stay with what you have through this season. Then decide if you want something else.

There are benefits and downfalls to every detector made.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT Pro, I ordered a Nox. There is a specific trail I’ve hunted 3 times with the Pro. As soon as the Nox arrives(delayed to extreme weather) I’m going to hunt that trail a fourth time. One area, where I haven’t found anything, seems like it should have coins. I get so much iron interference it sounds like a continuous scratchy mess. I will let you know if I find anything there!

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
See if you can find a fellow md'er with an EQ, and go out to a site that you have hit pretty good. Might be an eye-opener? Good Luck!

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're committed to the hobby like it sounds you are, I'd say sell the ATPro, save up some bucks, and purchase an Equinox (if you want to stay under $1k). There's no debate that it's a more capable machine. I bet you'd be happy you did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread