Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Professional hunters: how do you make money?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2016
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
    124 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Professional hunters: how do you make money?

For the professional treasure hunters that do it full time, how do you make your money? Is there a way to live off treasure hunting? Can it be a stable job or is it hit or miss for days, weeks, months?

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Quest Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    629 times
    I would think to be a professional in treasure hunting one would have to be funded or sponsored and have alot of schooling to back it.
    semi-pro is where alot of t-neters would fall if categorized...
    if you find another way please share as most of us would quit our day jobs to treasure hunt.....lol
    A2coins and Loco-Digger like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29107 times
    Depends on how much your wife enjoys sleeping in the car and eating fast food all the time.....LOL
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Dec 2018
    Alaska
    Nox 800
    430 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    I would think to be a professional in treasure hunting one would have to be funded or sponsored and have alot of schooling to back it.
    if you find another way please share as most of us would quit our day jobs to treasure hunt.....lol
    Why would someone need schooling, other than learning your machine and its signals?
    A2coins and Toecutter like this.

us
    Ed

Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 400 Garrett Pro Pointer
    1443 times
    Metal Detecting
    it's like they say.....Don't quit your day job !

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10020 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Hey there tinted-snow, I just chimed in on your hypothetical (your words) scenario on the legal forum here. Good luck. Hope there is a cache there for you. And hope you get to keep it, etc...

The average cache you hear of in md'ing circles (even the one in Alaska that a miner might-have-buried), tends to be in the class of "bread and butter" caches. Eg.: Joe Blow, or farmer bob buries a bunch of coins in a jar. I've found many such scenarios (admittedly mostly on posse hunts for the next-of-kin). And NONE of them would be something you/I could "live" on. Even one that I found that was filled with gold coins, *might* have justified my living standards for a year or so.

And as for the types of caches and treasures you/I *COULD* "live on", I'd say that the vast majority of them are in the category of camp-fire legends, ghost stories, etc.... Fun to listen to. Fun to muse about, but .... nothing but ghost-story telephone game.

A few lone exceptions exist (Mel Fisher, etc...). But beyond that, the rest of us are happy to pay for their gas, batteries, equipment, etc.....

That doesn't address TH'ing venues such as nuggets, gold-in-natural state, etc.... I was assuming you meant caches/treasures, right ?

us
    Sep 2016
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
    124 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Hey there tinted-snow, I just chimed in on your hypothetical (your words) scenario on the legal forum here. Good luck. Hope there is a cache there for you. And hope you get to keep it, etc...

The average cache you hear of in md'ing circles (even the one in Alaska that a miner might-have-buried), tends to be in the class of "bread and butter" caches. Eg.: Joe Blow, or farmer bob buries a bunch of coins in a jar. I've found many such scenarios (admittedly mostly on posse hunts for the next-of-kin). And NONE of them would be something you/I could "live" on. Even one that I found that was filled with gold coins, *might* have justified my living standards for a year or so.

And as for the types of caches and treasures you/I *COULD* "live on", I'd say that the vast majority of them are in the category of camp-fire legends, ghost stories, etc.... Fun to listen to. Fun to muse about, but .... nothing but ghost-story telephone game.

A few lone exceptions exist (Mel Fisher, etc...). But beyond that, the rest of us are happy to pay for their gas, batteries, equipment, etc.....

That doesn't address TH'ing venues such as nuggets, gold-in-natural state, etc.... I was assuming you meant caches/treasures, right ?
    Iím great info, thanks. I was curious. Iím in no way trying to live off of it. I have a great job making kids happy that Iíd never leave, but I was doing some research (for that other post you commented on) and it just kind of came into my mind. Itís just a curiosity question.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    19533 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    As Clad2silver says, don't quit your day job. And Tom_in-Ca says, it "might" cover living expenses for a year. I've been collecting things out of the ground since I was a kid and JFK was President. I don't think I'd get six months' income off ALL of it if I sold it. That is if the first half of it I hadn't lost by now anyway.

For the most part, it's a pipe dream.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10020 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clad2Silver View Post
    it's like they say.....Don't quit your day job !
    Haha. I knew a guy, in the early days of nugget hunting with md'rs in CA (very early 1980s when detectors first started being used for that purpose). He found himself between jobs, and ..... had the stroke of genius to realize that he was actually making MORE on his hobbyist hours (on an hour-per-hour basis), than he was by punching a time-clock !

So he figured he could detect nuggets for a living (instead of just on Saturday with his buddies).

All of the sudden, IT WAS NO FUN. Every day became a quota . Lest he not put food on the table, pay the rent, etc... So he kissed "treasure hunting" goodbye, as a way to make a living.

The rare exceptions would be something like Mel Fisher, or if you were an actual mining company, etc....

us
    Dec 2018
    Alaska
    Nox 800
    430 times
    If you want to get rich in this business you should design a "new" shovel or some other trinket and market as a "must have" for everyone who is serious about the hobby

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2018
    Lanesville, IN
    White Coin master 4000 Garrett AT PRO
    768 times
    the only way to become a millionaire from treasure hunting is by starting out as a billionaire.
    Mike

My guns have killed less people than Ted Kennedy's car.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    6419 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by firemanphob View Post
    the only way to become a millionaire from treasure hunting is by starting out as a billionaire.
    This is too funny!
    smokeythecat and Loco-Digger like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    6419 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    If you find a TV Series that requires a guy to detect for them maybe you’d have some income. But be prepared to have a couple of Marvedis to throw down. Lol!
    smokeythecat likes this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

us
    logger/ sawmill operator

Jun 2016
    KENTUCKY
    whites/ bh /at pro
    953 times
    Relic Hunting
    You You Tube it. if your a women you just put on some very tight fitting clothes and strut around ,dosent matter if you find anything or not , or if your a man just act like your stoned and giggle and laugh at everything and poke at toad frogs and every bone you find. heck its working for some . just shoot for a million views.

us
    Aug 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    NOX 800
    84 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    Funded/sponsored misses the 'professional' point for me. That is charity. Professional, by my standards, is making a profit/standing on own.
    (the OP states 'make money'. Though I guess caveat is OP didn't say turn a profit.)
    smokeythecat likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links