Professional hunters: how do you make money?

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think to be a professional in treasure hunting one would have to be funded or sponsored and have alot of schooling to back it.
semi-pro is where alot of t-neters would fall if categorized...
if you find another way please share as most of us would quit our day jobs to treasure hunt.....lol

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on how much your wife enjoys sleeping in the car and eating fast food all the time.....LOL

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think to be a professional in treasure hunting one would have to be funded or sponsored and have alot of schooling to back it.
if you find another way please share as most of us would quit our day jobs to treasure hunt.....lol

Why would someone need schooling, other than learning your machine and its signals?

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's like they say.....Don't quit your day job !

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey there tinted-snow, I just chimed in on your hypothetical (your words) scenario on the legal forum here. Good luck. Hope there is a cache there for you. And hope you get to keep it, etc...

The average cache you hear of in md'ing circles (even the one in Alaska that a miner might-have-buried), tends to be in the class of "bread and butter" caches. Eg.: Joe Blow, or farmer bob buries a bunch of coins in a jar. I've found many such scenarios (admittedly mostly on posse hunts for the next-of-kin). And NONE of them would be something you/I could "live" on. Even one that I found that was filled with gold coins, *might* have justified my living standards for a year or so.

And as for the types of caches and treasures you/I *COULD* "live on", I'd say that the vast majority of them are in the category of camp-fire legends, ghost stories, etc.... Fun to listen to. Fun to muse about, but .... nothing but ghost-story telephone game.

A few lone exceptions exist (Mel Fisher, etc...). But beyond that, the rest of us are happy to pay for their gas, batteries, equipment, etc.....

That doesn't address TH'ing venues such as nuggets, gold-in-natural state, etc.... I was assuming you meant caches/treasures, right ?

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there tinted-snow, I just chimed in on your hypothetical (your words) scenario on the legal forum here. Good luck. Hope there is a cache there for you. And hope you get to keep it, etc...

The average cache you hear of in md'ing circles (even the one in Alaska that a miner might-have-buried), tends to be in the class of "bread and butter" caches. Eg.: Joe Blow, or farmer bob buries a bunch of coins in a jar. I've found many such scenarios (admittedly mostly on posse hunts for the next-of-kin). And NONE of them would be something you/I could "live" on. Even one that I found that was filled with gold coins, *might* have justified my living standards for a year or so.

And as for the types of caches and treasures you/I *COULD* "live on", I'd say that the vast majority of them are in the category of camp-fire legends, ghost stories, etc.... Fun to listen to. Fun to muse about, but .... nothing but ghost-story telephone game.

A few lone exceptions exist (Mel Fisher, etc...). But beyond that, the rest of us are happy to pay for their gas, batteries, equipment, etc.....

That doesn't address TH'ing venues such as nuggets, gold-in-natural state, etc.... I was assuming you meant caches/treasures, right ?

I’m great info, thanks. I was curious. I’m in no way trying to live off of it. I have a great job making kids happy that I’d never leave, but I was doing some research (for that other post you commented on) and it just kind of came into my mind. It’s just a curiosity question.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Clad2silver says, don't quit your day job. And Tom_in-Ca says, it "might" cover living expenses for a year. I've been collecting things out of the ground since I was a kid and JFK was President. I don't think I'd get six months' income off ALL of it if I sold it. That is if the first half of it I hadn't lost by now anyway.:laughing7:

For the most part, it's a pipe dream.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
it's like they say.....Don't quit your day job !

Haha. I knew a guy, in the early days of nugget hunting with md'rs in CA (very early 1980s when detectors first started being used for that purpose). He found himself between jobs, and ..... had the stroke of genius to realize that he was actually making MORE on his hobbyist hours (on an hour-per-hour basis), than he was by punching a time-clock !

So he figured he could detect nuggets for a living (instead of just on Saturday with his buddies).

All of the sudden, IT WAS NO FUN. Every day became a quota . Lest he not put food on the table, pay the rent, etc... So he kissed "treasure hunting" goodbye, as a way to make a living.

The rare exceptions would be something like Mel Fisher, or if you were an actual mining company, etc....

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to get rich in this business you should design a "new" shovel or some other trinket and market as a "must have" for everyone who is serious about the hobby

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only way to become a millionaire from treasure hunting is by starting out as a billionaire.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If you find a TV Series that requires a guy to detect for them maybe you’d have some income. But be prepared to have a couple of Marvedis to throw down. Lol!

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You You Tube it. if your a women you just put on some very tight fitting clothes and strut around ,dosent matter if you find anything or not , or if your a man just act like your stoned and giggle and laugh at everything and poke at toad frogs and every bone you find. heck its working for some . just shoot for a million views.

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Funded/sponsored misses the 'professional' point for me. That is charity. Professional, by my standards, is making a profit/standing on own.
(the OP states 'make money'. Though I guess caveat is OP didn't say turn a profit.)

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You You Tube it. if your a women you just put on some very tight fitting clothes and strut around ,dosent matter if you find anything or not , or if your a man just act like your stoned and giggle and laugh at everything and poke at toad frogs and every bone you find. heck its working for some . just shoot for a million views.

**THIS***

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if you are retired, then the best way would be to go through about $5k in boxed half dollars a week to try and pull out silver.

I however, am not doing that! Around here the banks look at you like you're a troll or something if you just ask if they have any loose ones.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont quit your job we are lucky to find what we do your better off studying antiques and hope to know enough to turn a profit but that takes alot of time and money and mistakes

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A2coins, I am best at making the "mistakes" part, but since I generally don't resell anything, it doesn't really matter much, and these items aren't too expensive either.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You could call yourself “He Detector” 🤑

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread