Tornado Warning with Lightning Strikes !!!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Looked like that one was trying to funnel down.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You caught the twister there on the left side at 2:20

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Our second Tornado Warning here in Butte County in the last 30 days !!!! Lighting and Thunder and finally Rain !!! Make sure you watch the Lightning strike at about the 2:00 mark !!!!

WOW!
Awesome picture of a Super Cell.

It makes me look forward to Spring.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a twister a few years ago Freezing rain storm coming tonight

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
From minute 1:49, it clearly shows a large Shelf Cloud with a rotating Wall Cloud developing aloft (which was probably on the Southeast trailing edge of the Severe Thunderstorm) with protrusions that were likely Funnel Clouds or Tornadoes trying to develop. Hard to tell if that was an actual Twister (Tornado) around minute 2:20 but since it was on the trailing edge of the storm, it is possible. You should have seen the Wall Cloud I encountered at the end of February of 2017 while driving through Houston under a widespread Tornado Warning. I was rerouted by GPS onto the Sam Houston Tollway due to heavy traffic on my way to Alice, Texas to deliver at 2017 Ford Raptor and the Wall Cloud was only 500 yards or so South Southwest of me and appeared to be well over a mile wide. Having worked for the National Weather Service for almost 33 years, I was trained to spot these types of weather phenomena and I do my best to avoid them. Needless to say, I pulled into the passing lane and gunned that Raptor to steer clear of the Wall Cloud and any Tornadoes that came with it. On my way back from Alice, Texas, there were many reports of multiple touchdowns in and around Houston with lots of damage.

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was some great photography. Mother Nature can be both beautiful and terrifying at the same time.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From minute 1:49, it clearly shows a large Shelf Cloud with a rotating Wall Cloud developing aloft (which was probably on the Southeast trailing edge of the Severe Thunderstorm) with protrusions that were likely Funnel Clouds or Tornadoes trying to develop. Hard to tell if that was an actual Twister (Tornado) around minute 2:20 but since it was on the trailing edge of the storm, it is possible. You should have seen the Wall Cloud I encountered at the end of February of 2017 while driving through Houston under a widespread Tornado Warning. I was rerouted by GPS onto the Sam Houston Tollway due to heavy traffic on my way to Alice, Texas to deliver at 2017 Ford Raptor and the Wall Cloud was only 500 yards or so South Southwest of me and appeared to be well over a mile wide. Having worked for the National Weather Service for almost 33 years, I was trained to spot these types of weather phenomena and I do my best to avoid them. Needless to say, I pulled into the passing lane and gunned that Raptor to steer clear of the Wall Cloud and any Tornadoes that came with it. On my way back from Alice, Texas, there were many reports of multiple touchdowns in and around Houston with lots of damage.

I do love severe weather , can you 'maybe ' explain how it can be 78 o today & a high somewhere near 54 tomorrow ; why does this cold front not cause Severe Storms , is it a wind thing.?

Thanks for the conversation start Mr, Smithsgold.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I do love severe weather , can you 'maybe ' explain how it can be 78 o today & a high somewhere near 54 tomorrow ; why does this cold front not cause Severe Storms , is it a wind thing.?

Thanks for the conversation start Mr, Smithsgold.

Well, I hate severe weather having worked it for nearly 33 years! Most days, we would accomplish all of our' tasks (i.e. assigned and expected duties per keeping an eye on the weather) during an 8 hour shift and would have some slack time between duties. However, during many severe weather events, we were often so busy that it was often hard to complete assigned duties and were usually scrambling to get everything done because warning the public was the number one priority during severe weather.

Well, as far as your question is concerned. Much of the Southeast (Georgia and Tennessee included) was in the warm sector after a Warm Front pushed Northward across the area today with the warm air being supplied by a somewhat Southerly flow on the back side of a High Pressure off the Georgia and Northeast Florida coasts and tomorrow, we will be getting a cold Northwesterly flow supplied by Low Pressure on the backside of the Cold Front. Not having access to all of the Weather Maps and Analyses that I had when I worked for the National Weather Service, it is hard to pinpoint with certainty all of the reasons why we were spared the severe weather. However, it appears that the High Pressure was not strong enough to bring an abundance of moisture and warm air into our region thus limiting the cold air forcing wedge of the Cold Front when the cold air collided with the warmer air over our area. This was not quite the case when the Cold Front moved across the Mississippi River into Northwest Mississippi, West Tennessee and Western Kentucky this morning! The Cold Front collided with warm moist air over the Mississippi River and generated some Severe storms before the warm moist air gradually got less and less on it's travels across the Northern and Central Alabama, Middle and parts of East Tennessee and Central and Eastern Kentucky. Normally, the transitions from cold to really warm, then a strong Cold Front pushing into the area are often producers of Severe Weather and Tornadoes which can often be a nightmare for Meteorologists and others that work for the National Weather Service who are tasked with warning the public to prevent injuries and deaths. Luckily, for 16 of my years with the National Weather Service and being tasked with warning the public, I know of only one death that occurred on my' watch. After that, I had other duties while the Meteorologists had those responsibilities. I can tell you that even one death and especially multiple deaths really effects the people tasked with warning the public of severe weather, although many times, those deaths occurred because the people did not heed the warnings and information provided. When apprised that deaths occurred with a particular severe weather event, I have seen Meteorologists have to get up from their' workstation, go outside, cry and try to shake it off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smithsgold

Smithsgold

Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites and Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A tree fell on my house well its leaning om it

Top Member Reactions