Audible Metal Detecting Idea - Breakthrough!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe you could program the voice you want to use, like some GPS units......maybe John Wayne says "That's a pull tab, pilgrim" or maybe The Waterboy says "momma said it's nail". i thought about this way too hard. haha.

Matt

forest gump
"momma said lifes like a pulltab signal - you never know which one youre gonna get.."

In all honesty half the reason I go detecting is so I dont have to listen to peoples voices...

Deus nail board test....ha ha

chub

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I complete a full swing in the time it takes to say "Quarter" or "Nickel". I never cared for the alarm type detectors because how the target signals when swung from various directions and heights can give you additional information about it.

I like just three tones. After a few times out I know the display range for various targets.

But that's just me. What sells may well be a talking detector. There's a lot of popular things that don't appeal to me.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand some of these detectors you mentioned may have a learning curve. But they also have options and options is the only reason some one would upgrade. The etrac has its own language, and no voice in the world would make it better. As said before you would have to dumb down the machine to hear one voice. I like to hear it all as I know I am moving out of a area that had people there. I rarely come across ground that has very few targets. Im looking forward to what new machines come out this year. But have not been able to let go any of my single VLF machines. I think a picture and a scale of possible metal type would work better.

OP
OP
E

Edward Lopez

Nov 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it was just an idea!

Well, it was just an idea. But I agree somewhat with your criticisms. But the myriad of noises, er sounds, that the machines make are enough to drive one looney anyway. It's fun to fantasize.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

-"a synthesized voice would simply say "Pulltab", "Nickel", "Iron", "Dime, clad", "Dime, silver", "Not sure" and so on" thats only for the US market, you would need approximately 160 software versions to cover the world market.

-A lot of countries have changed their currencies and coins more times than you can keep track of. E.g. Great Britain had: celtic (a lot of different), roman ( alot of different), sub-roman (..), medival coins (..) and so on. You cant cover this imho.

- A tone gives you a lot of addtional info. If you wiggle the coil and receive short, sharp snappy ding-ding: Ahhh that could a small, regular sized object like a coin and a button.

-Relative orientation (lying flat in ground or on the rom) can change the identfication.

-You will dig a lot of pulltabs giving good signals, a lot of junk lead indicating silver and a lot of tin/zinc particles sounding off as copper/brass/bronze. It is not excact science like math.

I always like it to a tennis racket: As beginner buy a good beginner racket and learn hot to play tennis. If you like the sport buy a better racket. As sidenote due to aforementioned learning curve you play for sometime worse with the better racket...

Greets Namxat

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't want it even if it said "1907 0 Barber Quarter in xf Condition Lying sideways at 8.367 inches"
or "2006 Rotted Zinclon that looks like a Rat was chewing on it, at 3.127 inches, lying Flat" or "wrinkled up Wrigley's Gum Wrapper at 12 Inches"
& Be spot on every time. Maybe for $100 in case I need to Find a 10K Class Ring with the Initials CLK for someone in a hurry, or a Water Main in a trashy area .
But

Would take all the fun out of Treasure Hunting

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be cool to just walk along waiting for the word "GOLD"...

BUT... I can hear it now...

When you have 2 items next to each other...

"PULL DIME"... "DIMEPULL"

PULLNAIL - DIMENAIL

NAILTRASH.

"UNKOWN CRAP" :P

Not only can I hear... I can also see,,,

Some old dude in trash infested area...

ripping his headphones off in frustration and yelling at his detector... "SHUT THE ____ UP" ! ! !

:)

Ahhh that was fun.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait a minute!!!!!! Wasn't getting a detector the main reason a lot of us got detectors? To get away from the ramblings & blabberings of the wife & kids, the boss, and the neighbor that just won't go away & shut up? Kind of self defeating to me.............

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My luck it would sound like the Oak Island Guy.

"A Screw Cap" ? "In the sand on the Beach" ? "could this have been left by a Knights Templar,
Just back From Digging a Tunnel on Oak Island ? "

SMASH ! End of Detector !

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What wouold be really helpful words...

The words that would make me whistle and keep walking like I did not hear a thing...

"Syringe"... "razor blade"..."sex toy"... :P

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
My luck it would sound like the Oak Island Guy.

"A Screw Cap" ? "In the sand on the Beach" ? "could this have been left by a Knights Templar,
Just back From Digging a Tunnel on Oak Island ? "

SMASH ! End of Detector !

What ? A moderator making fun of a treasure legend ? haha :laughing7:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine would need to say " hey stupid that could be a ring" lol

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Our detectors DO talk to us - unless of course it's an Ace250.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What wouold be really helpful words...

The words that would make me whistle and keep walking like I did not hear a thing...

"Syringe"... "razor blade"..."sex toy"... :P

hang on....you walk away from a sex toy? this thread reminds me of Kitt in night rider. Could the detector speak with a fancy accent and make witty banter?

chub

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ? A moderator making fun of a treasure legend ? haha :laughing7:

:coffee2:first off, I'm making fun of a tv character and a legend most likely made up by a tv producer.

secondly, no I not only don't believe the story as put forth by a tv show,
but I don't believe the legend is physically possible to have been committed
as described.

but yes I do believe in most Treasure legends.
I don't travel around Treasurenet nay saying everything,
and trying to debate :unhappysmiley:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread