Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Hole in the woods....?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5842 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Actually Tom your probably right about it being a spring box.
    My family and I have found valuable treasure in both water wells and outhouses.

If the age is right, there could be some goodies down at the bottom.

I’d cover it up for safety. Who knows how many skeletons are down there already!
    Actually, it was me and not Tom who stated that it is an old Spring Hole Box not that it matters! However, you are correct, folks in mostly in the old days (from the 1600's and 1700's to as late as the early to mid 1900's) would sometimes hide valuables in Spring Box Holes and Wells to secure it from thieves or troops occupying or moving through the area. From the appearance of the hole, the cut/sheared rock faces and the moss/lichen growth, I would say that it is well over one hundred years old. I have seen many similar holes in the mountains here while growing up and running the hills, hollers and ridges while digging Ginseng and/or hunting that were dug and cut out by the Settlers in the late 1700's to mid 1800's.
    Last edited by huntsman53; Feb 07, 2019 at 09:58 PM.
    Hawks88, Davers, solx nys and 2 others like this.

Jul 2007
    182 times
    If you are in the SC gold belt it could be a gold prospect where they were attempting to locate the vein, the absence of dirt could be that they carried it away to crush and check the values.
    Hawks88 likes this.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    10736 times
    Metal Detecting
    Looks like a dug well. We have them hereabouts and the sides are often supported with flat shale - hence the square shape.

A co-worker has one on his property that is a salt spring. It produces salty water and has been used for centuries. Also square because it was lined with shale.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Feb 2010
    1020 times
    I'd check out the hole but then either tell the land owner so they can put a cover over it or cut a pole and leave in the hole so anyone falling into it could get out. I've found a couple of wells at abandoned home sites. One broke my heart. It was 7 or 8 foot deep and had a deer that could get it's front paws out of the well but that was it. It had worked very hard to get out but I was a few days late getting thee. Be careful and good luck.

us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    caro
    Quest Pro Garrett AT Pro Whites ID5 classic pro
    206 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Get ahold of Auqachigger he will gladly go down in....
    RustyGold and travel like this.

us
    Jan 2019
    South Carolina
    49 times
    All great insight and I definitely don't plan to go down there without using my camera first and having a buddy with me. I have a metal detector to search the surrounding area to determine if there were any signs of previous structures. Old satellite imagery doesn't indicate anything was there but who knows...I recently purchased the property but the previous owners said it's been there since they owned it and didn't know what it was for. They thought it was an old well and just put a wire fence around it to keep their goats and small animals from falling in.

I'll continue to post pics on progress and possible finds...
    Last edited by SCholes; Feb 07, 2019 at 01:16 PM.

us

Nov 2018
    caro
    206 times
    lower your detector down in, might hear the gold coins!!
    Hawks88 likes this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9358 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    lower your detector down in, might hear the gold coins!!
    Haha. Or they might hear the trash (soda cans, etc...) that people have tossed in there.

I'm in the street sweeper business, and see this psychology first hand. Like for example, in a shopping center parking lot, you have a soda can or bottle or McDonalds bag. Where do you toss it ? Sure, some people will just drop it right @ their car door or whatever. But I've noticed the vast majority of people will tend to set it @ the nearest light pole. Or @ next to a planter island corner, etc.... All of which, of course, make it hard for the sweeper to reach (so we WISH they'd drop their trash in the middle of the lots, haha).

So that's just human nature that when you have trash, you're going to pitch it into shadows somewhere. Or "down a ravine", or "in the bushes", etc...
    Toecutter, Davers and Hawks88 like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Mar 2016
    1990 times
    Yes and the trash is what you will eat to be looking for.
    Newer stuff on top, goodies on bottom.
    Hawks88 likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    5447 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    Looks like a dug well. We have them hereabouts and the sides are often supported with flat shale - hence the square shape.

A co-worker has one on his property that is a salt spring. It produces salty water and has been used for centuries. Also square because it was lined with shale.
    I was thinking a well also.

Another ? is SC Low , Middle or High country?
    Upstate is what i'm thinking .
    Yak1366 likes this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    5447 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Haha. Or they might hear the trash (soda cans, etc...) that people have tossed in there.

I'm in the street sweeper business, and see this psychology first hand. Like for example, in a shopping center parking lot, you have a soda can or bottle or McDonalds bag. Where do you toss it ? Sure, some people will just drop it right @ their car door or whatever. But I've noticed the vast majority of people will tend to set it @ the nearest light pole. Or @ next to a planter island corner, etc.... All of which, of course, make it hard for the sweeper to reach (so we WISH they'd drop their trash in the middle of the lots, haha).

So that's just human nature that when you have trash, you're going to pitch it into shadows somewhere. Or "down a ravine", or "in the bushes", etc...
    I HATE! trash in the Bushes , Woods esp, small pieces ....so hard to clean up. Plastic is the worst of course.
    Yak1366 likes this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us

Nov 2018
    caro
    206 times
    Could lower a heavy duty magnet down see what sticks.... cast iron pot of gold?? lol

Mar 2016
    1990 times
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post
    Actually, it was me and not Tom who stated that it is an old Spring Hole Box not that it matters! However, you are correct, folks in the mostly in the old days (from the 1600's and 1700's to as late as the early to mid 1900's) would sometimes hide valuables in Spring Box Holes and Wells to secure it from thieves or troops occupying or moving through the area. From the appearance of the hole, the cut/sheared rock faces and the moss/lichen growth, I would say that it is well over one hundred years old. I have seen many similar holes in the mountains here while growing up and running the hills, hollers and ridges while digging Ginseng and/or hunting that were dug and cut out by the Settlers in the late 1700's to mid 1800's.
    I caught that mix up, but was lazy about correcting the record.
    I’ve never seen square wells around my area, but it sounds like it was a common construction practice back east.

Many times after the water dried up or perhaps water was piped to the home, the well was used as a convient place to dispose of trash, such as old bottles. Things also fell out of pockets when leaning over the hole.
    huntsman53 likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7715 times
    The Truth
    Im in the east,i have never seen a square well lol.
    YOU KNOW MY STANCE,LIVE FREE OR DIE

Liberals,too stupid to know that they are really communists.

ďA manís rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.Ē

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth
    becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    6573 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My guess is that it is a well. Looks like the sides are cement making it most likely 1900ís.
    Hawks88 likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links