Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pay some kid to go down there or just toss there cell phone down there lol very intersting get your friend drunk tie a rooe to his feet and slowly tea bag him in there

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yeah, old well.
I agree with Scorpio. When I hunted deer I use to find them all the time. Just because there is not a pile of dirt there doesn't mean anything. It would wash away over the years. May be the old homestead near by.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Did not read through everything so I am sure by now this has been mentioned but I will still say it.

Natural salt spring.

take your knife, scratch the wall of the box and taste it.

Only thing is I have never seen one deeper than about 4 feet that has been boxed up like that.

OP
OP
S

SCholes

Greenie
Jan 13, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are too funny!
The property is located in the midlands of SC, close to Columbia. I would share exact location but since I'm now the official land owner (5 acres as of yesterday) I was told by my agent I should fill the hole for liability reasons and at the very least cover it.
That is plan after further investigation...here's a map for people not familiar with the Columbia, SC area:
SC funny.jpg

A friend at work says he believes it was an old root cellar or shallow well and the reason it's square is they used wood to shore up the sides but has since decayed. He had an old well on his property (typical round shaped) which dried up and was full of old bottles and metal.
Anyway, the expedition will begin tomorrow and hopefully I'll at least be able to answer what it was used for...

OP
OP
S

SCholes

Greenie
Jan 13, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long shot but here is a section of map i found online at The Library of Congress website. One of the lines runs very close to the property...almost right over the top.
Old Map.png

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Did not read through everything so I am sure by now this has been mentioned but I will still say it.

Natural salt spring.

take your knife, scratch the wall of the box and taste it.

Only thing is I have never seen one deeper than about 4 feet that has been boxed up like that.

So, if you scratch the wall of the box and taste it and it tastes like crap, then it must be a crap hole box, right?:laughing7:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If Only We All... Could Live To this Age?

By the way, the tree that is partially growing over the side of the hole, appears to be a Wild Black Cherry based on it's bark and their' roots are well known for growing around obstructions and voids that contain no soil or water!

Black cherry trees (Prunus serotina) live over 250 years!

This may place these trees back before the foundation of the United States of America or back before their Civil War!

If You Reach...The bottom of this Cistern...and find Roots...Or find...No Roots...You will get your ...Answer!

Black Cherry.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Black cherry trees (Prunus serotina) live over 250 years!

This may place these trees back before the foundation of the United States of America or back before their Civil War!

If You Reach...The bottom of this Cistern...and find Roots...Or find...No Roots...You will get your ...Answer!

View attachment 1678668

Hopefully SCholes will get to the root of the question!

OP
OP
S

SCholes

Greenie
Jan 13, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:What kind of line?

The thick black line 8-)

Black cherry tree...another puzzle piece to research. Google maps 1994 satellite imagery shows the area around the hole cleared except for a clump of trees at the hole location. There is another clump of trees about 50 yards away which look very similar but very old. Wife said the trees look like their from a scary movie or old fairy tale where a witches house would be located.

I love treasure hunting shows and the researching they do to determine historical significance of a location they picked to hunt. The recent history of the property is a sad one I'll share later but today it's a bit of a fun adventure I definitely didn't expect when the wife and I were looking for a retirement investment. Even if there is nothing but old tin cans and rusty nails it's still fun to speculate and be on the hunt. BTW, this is the first time I've ever metal detected and after lurking around the site for a year I signed up once I discovered the hole last month.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the new land. It’s always a great thing to set some property free. Best of Luck!

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Cherry Ripe...May Not Be...A Delight!

The thick black line 8-)

Black cherry tree...another puzzle piece to research. Google maps 1994 satellite imagery shows the area around the hole cleared except for a clump of trees at the hole location. There is another clump of trees about 50 yards away which look very similar but very old. Wife said the trees look like their from a scary movie or old fairy tale where a witches house would be located.

I love treasure hunting shows and the researching they do to determine historical significance of a location they picked to hunt. The recent history of the property is a sad one I'll share later but today it's a bit of a fun adventure I definitely didn't expect when the wife and I were looking for a retirement investment. Even if there is nothing but old tin cans and rusty nails it's still fun to speculate and be on the hunt. BTW, this is the first time I've ever metal detected and after lurking around the site for a year I signed up once I discovered the hole last month.

As Always...When Treasure Hunting...Searcher Beware!

Warning!...The seeds of black cherries contain cyanogenic glycosides, compounds that can be converted into cyanide, such as amygdalin. These compounds release hydrogen cyanide when the seed is ground or minced.

Poison.jpg

JosephT

Jan 28, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thick black line 8-)

what is the thick black line supposed to be?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread