Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Hole in the woods....?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5842 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot View Post
    As Always...When Treasure Hunting...Searcher Beware!

Warning!...The seeds of black cherries contain cyanogenic glycosides, compounds that can be converted into cyanide, such as amygdalin. These compounds release hydrogen cyanide when the seed is ground or minced.

Attachment 1678718
    While I stated that based on the appearance of the bark of the tree that it was likely a Wild Black Cherry Tree, I am not totally certain that is fact! Trees in South Carolina and especially those so close to the coastal regions, grow quite a bit different than here in the Smokies, foothills of the Smokies and surrounding valley locations. Besides, there are species of trees there that don't grow here and the bark of some trees take on a different appearance depending upon the soil conditions and climate in which they grow.
    Last edited by huntsman53; Feb 08, 2019 at 11:47 PM.
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7715 times
    The Truth
    Cut the tree down and count the rings.
    Robot likes this.
    YOU KNOW MY STANCE,LIVE FREE OR DIE

Liberals,too stupid to know that they are really communists.

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.”

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth
    becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Charter Member

Apr 2014
    1603 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Looks like a black walnut tree to me.

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    White XLT Spectrum E-Series
    6263 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post
    You bet Brad. Question is, if something is in the hole that weighs 500 lbs, how in the hell are two lightweights going to get it out?
    Well that's a damn good question Frank. I got out a piece of 3"x3"x 3' angle iron out I had lying around shop here. I put my new 500 lb rated magnet about 8" away and BAM!!!!! I swear if a finger was in the way the world would have heard me screaming (again) like a little girl. This magnet is POWERFUL. I could not get the magnet off till I pushed it all the way to the end and then used a huge pair of channel locks to raise it up some. This thing is not a toy and will snap fingers in two easily. But it doesn't weigh much at all. If it ever latched onto something very heavy I truly don't know what I'd do. I thought about that when I was using it off the bridge into the Duck River around here. If it ever latched onto an old car, boat or old bridge railing I'd probably just have to let it go...!
    I am a true blue Patriot who believes in the original Constitution's meaning. I'll bleed blood to defend it and resist those who want to diminish or alter its meaning or those rights stated within the Constitution.

us
    Jan 2019
    South Carolina
    49 times
    Saturday update: Spent time surveying the area and metal detecting looking for any signs of a previous structure. So far nothing obvious, but there were signs of people walking through the property and throwing trash as they made their way to their destination. That being said, there were pings in several areas and after several cans and foil we headed to the hole. Now this thing is 16.5 feet deep to the top of the leaves and we weren't about to throw a ladder in it to "see" what we could find. We decided we needed a way to remove the leaves to at least see the bottom. Right now, our cheapest idea is to make a 20ft piece of 1" pvc pipe and fashion a scoop of some sort on the end to remove the leaves.
    Scratching our heads and discussing the plan for tomorrow, we headed back to our trucks and I was metal detecting through the woods.... about 20 yards from the hole:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	1679023

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    15495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SCholes View Post
    Saturday update: Spent time surveying the area and metal detecting looking for any signs of a previous structure. So far nothing obvious, but there were signs of people walking through the property and throwing trash as they made their way to their destination. That being said, there were pings in several areas and after several cans and foil we headed to the hole. Now this thing is 16.5 feet deep to the top of the leaves and we weren't about to throw a ladder in it to "see" what we could find. We decided we needed a way to remove the leaves to at least see the bottom. Right now, our cheapest idea is to make a 20ft piece of 1" pvc pipe and fashion a scoop of some sort on the end to remove the leaves.
    Scratching our heads and discussing the plan for tomorrow, we headed back to our trucks and I was metal detecting through the woods.... about 20 yards from the hole:

Name:	Pin.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	1679023
    You could due to owning the site , research "well sweeps".
    A claw that lowers opened on a rope end that can be tripped to unlatch or close , might pull some samples.

A reversible shop vac motor mounted on a 55 gallon barrel might pull some too. Would take the same amount of pipe ,with additional flex hose near barrel/joint to pipe.
    A2coins and lairmo like this.

us
    Jan 2019
    South Carolina
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    You could due to owning the site , research "well sweeps".
    A claw that lowers opened on a rope end that can be tripped to unlatch or close , might pull some samples.

A reversible shop vac motor mounted on a 55 gallon barrel might pull some too. Would take the same amount of pipe ,with additional flex hose near barrel/joint to pipe.
    I was thinking about those options and instead of a claw make a clamshell to at least grab as much leaves as possible. I also thought of using my Toro leaf blower ( I have a portable generator) which reverses to suck up leaves through 4" drainage pipe and shred them.
    A2coins and lairmo like this.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5842 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SCholes View Post
    I was thinking about those options and instead of a claw make a clamshell to at least grab as much leaves as possible. I also thought of using my Toro leaf blower ( I have a portable generator) which reverses to suck up leaves through 4" drainage pipe and shred them.
    Even a decent and sturdy dip net with a wood pole such as a straight round mop handle shoved up in the dip net's handle and secured, then the mop handle shoved down into a lightweight 15 foot or so aluminum pipe and secured, would work. I had this setup in Key West when I worked and lived there to catch Blue Crabs and Shrimp and it worked fantastic. I usually caught 2 to 3 and sometimes 4 dozen Blue Crabs a night when conditions were right but held a record of 104 in one night. When the Shrimp were running, I would usually catch a 5 gallon bucket full a night but caught two 5 gallon buckets full on one occasion. However, the total length of mine was only 14 feet. Do understand that depending how old the hole is and how long there have been trees around to drop leaves and limbs in the hole, the hole might actually be 1 to 4 feet or more deeper than what you have measured (i.e. to the leaves).
    Last edited by huntsman53; Feb 09, 2019 at 09:18 PM.
    releventchair and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    ca
    Mar 2014
    855 times
    Oak Island Treasure

If It Worked On Mexican Cenotes...It May Work For You?

This Dredge was used in some of the 19th Century Cenotes at Mexico... that I visited.

Maybe it could work for...You?

I would change the Mechanism with a UTV Winch!

Name:  Cenote-Dredge.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  13.5 KB
    A2coins likes this.
    The search for "Truth" and "Justice" is my "Prime Directive."

us
    Jan 2019
    South Carolina
    49 times
    Today was a bust for the hole but a win for the new Stihl chainsaw! I was hoping to finish sooner but I was completely spent by the end of the day to even consider adventuring.

Name:	Day 1_1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	1679712

Name:	Day 2_2.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	5.09 MB 
ID:	1679714

My buddy think it's an old cesspool....probably had a wooden top which has fallen in after years of decay. We're currently on the fence of whether we want to continue to search or call in a professional to assess.

Name:	cesspool.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	1679727

us
    One eyed flying purple people eater.

Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    2779 times
    Ugh.. Some years back I made a post here about the dangers of old wells.
    Crikey!
    A2coins likes this.
    "There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer”
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
    Mark Twain

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

2019 Update..
    God is Great, Education is Important, but Beer is more Importanter.

us
    Oct 2010
    U.P. Michigan
    Garrett AT Pro
    121 times
    Metal Detecting
    Maybe to it goes to Oak Island.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    19470 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Good luck on your adventure, just be careful and bring a friend...just in case!
    sprailroad and A2coins like this.

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    White XLT Spectrum E-Series
    6263 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'd still like to see a powerful magnet thrown into the hole. One with a good quality eye bold and a high gauge nylon rope. Anything that is under all those leaves will bring out a ton of them upon lifting.
    A2coins likes this.
    I am a true blue Patriot who believes in the original Constitution's meaning. I'll bleed blood to defend it and resist those who want to diminish or alter its meaning or those rights stated within the Constitution.

ca
    Apr 2013
    Canada
    Propointer Minelab Excalibur II Minelab E-Trac
    2048 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    There is a spring box up a mountain where we used to play as kids. It looks very similar to your picture. I vote spring bos as well
    A2coins likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links