Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: My 56 year streak has come to an end

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    1669 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by lairmo View Post
    I wouldn't know anything about retirement...2 back surgeries down and still climbing ladders and crawling in attics and under houses...maybe one day...lol
    Hvac or plumber??
    Hawks88 likes this.
    Chop wood..Carry water

us
    Aug 2010
    cameron,ok.
    whites tesoro
    88 times
    No more vacations ,,no more rest days and no more hump days,,wellcome to retirement
    Hawks88 likes this.

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    XP Deus, White's DFX
    5528 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by basssmann View Post
    fyrffytr1, ok, what does that stand for ? LOL My second year of full retirement.... I love it..... My poor wife has Alzheimers and and is in a nursing home because she needs 100% care... I go there every morning and feed her breakfast and take her for a tour of the place in her wheelchair. My afternoons, I tend to the grass / snow and then I detect. The fresh air and nature, gets my mind off my problems for awhile, finding relics and coins is a plus... like a few guys already said, the days go faster... When your working the days drag to the weekend.... basssmann I metal detect so much, I haven't had time to Bass fish, might have to change my name,,, lol
    If you are asking about my screen name. it is the first variation of fire fighter that a website I wanted to join would accept. That was several years ago and I keep using it for all my computer needs. I spent 30 years with the fire department and worked for Sears on my off days for over 10 years. When I "retired" from Sears they gave me a lump sum retirement check for 74 CENTS! I still have that check. When I retired from the fire service I took a part time job with an Auto parts store. That quickly turned into a full time job until today! I was injured in an on the job car wreck in 2014 and, after going through all sorts of treatments I decided to leave work so I wouldn't push myself too hard.
    I am sorry to hear about your wife. I can understand a little of what you are going through because my mother-in-law is suffering from the same disease and is in a nursing home. My wife goes to see her every day. Some days Ma-in-law knows her and some days she doesn't.
    Hawks88 and Lunch Bag like this.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel.

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    XP Deus, White's DFX
    5528 times
    I have plenty to keep me occupied for a good while.Two project cars plus my finished GTO, a house that needs minor repairs and 1.5 acres of yard should keep me busy. Not to mention relic hunting!

us
    "We Build, We Fight"

Jan 2014
    The Evergreen State
    -Whites & Minelab-
    165 times
    1st off, congratulations you made it (but it's not over yet). There are two types of retirees in this world. 1. the guy who sits around and rots away on his couch and ends up with all kinds of health problems and passes away in 5 years (seen it happen to many times). 2. or the guy who stays active BOTH mentally and physically. Lots of things to do: Crossword puzzles,Take up an instrument, More time w/the Kids/Grandkids, Home projects, Start a metal detecting club in your area, Church etc. If thats not working out for you and you find it hard to keep your self going or stay on a schedule, I would recommend a "Jobby". Yes a jobby is a hobby and a job combined. ex... You like to golf, get a job at a golf course full/part time. you get to talk about something you really enjoy doing, meet lots of people and make a little spending money on the side. Remember stay busy and you will enjoy yourself for a long time. seabees

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    5527 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    I officially retired for the third and last time today. After 56 years in the work force I felt it was time to give someone else a chance at a low paying/ hard work job!
    I really wanted to stay two more years but back injuries from an OJT car wreck have finally gotten to be too much to handle.
    I started work at the age of 12 with my parents signing a release so I could go to work at a car wash. I have worked one and two jobs at a time since then.
    So, what can Y'all tell me about retirement?
    Time to start swingin for a livin
    Hawks88 likes this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    23976 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Scary thought I dont think Ill ever be able to afford to retire Congrats to you keep busy have fun. Tommy
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    7813 times
    Don't stop moving!
    Stop moving = a shorter life.
    Hawks88 and Loco-Digger like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    23316 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Congratualtions!
    Hawks88 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17095 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I'm pushing 5 years retired now, just do whatever I want to do. There are lazy days, and there are responsible days. I'm just about the happiest I've ever been.
    Loco-Digger and Hawks88 like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    396 times
    Prospecting
    My career was crazy. I started out welding in construction, then got into the railroad, got out of that after my first daughter was born (I have 4), but because tug boats use locomotive engines, I got into the maritime side of things, and finally decided to stay ashore and built Navy Destroyers. The Union was the same, IAM so I had a chance to get out at age 42 years old and did.

I am glad I did. The woman in charge of retirement at the shipyard said they average 18 months of payout...meaning the average shipyard worker lives 18 months after retiring. That is a sad statistic. I am battling my 2nd round of cancer now, so again, I am glad I got out when I did.
    Hawks88 likes this.

us
    Apr 2009
    1442 times
    I'm not retired. Im just tired. Happy retirement!
    Hawks88 likes this.

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    6658 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I haven't yet, but should start planning on it I guess. I'll have to take some type of job to finance it probably. Oh well, I suppose the Rolling Stones will always be hiring. I could be the youngest member, haha!
    Hawks88 likes this.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1939 times
    Prospecting
    My dad and his dad both died at 53 so I'm happy if I get another 5 or 6 years. Retirement doesn't even seem like a possibility being 20 years away but well see. If I make it to 54 I'll be setting records as it is and I'd be happy with that.
    Hawks88 likes this.

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    XP Deus, White's DFX
    5528 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybravo300 View Post
    My dad and his dad both died at 53 so I'm happy if I get another 5 or 6 years. Retirement doesn't even seem like a possibility being 20 years away but well see. If I make it to 54 I'll be setting records as it is and I'd be happy with that.
    My mother was 53 and my father was 56. One brother died on his 43 birthday, another when he was 56 and a third at 33. At 68 I feel like I have won the life lottery!
    joesmarbles and Hawks88 like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links