fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I officially retired for the third and last time today. After 56 years in the work force I felt it was time to give someone else a chance at a low paying/ hard work job!
biggrin.gif

I really wanted to stay two more years but back injuries from an OJT car wreck have finally gotten to be too much to handle.
I started work at the age of 12 with my parents signing a release so I could go to work at a car wash. I have worked one and two jobs at a time since then.
So, what can Y'all tell me about retirement?

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You will like it, just stay busy.

I retired two years ago and could not be happier. I did not expect property taxes to double, or for me to get sick, but it has been good too. I get to spend a lot of time with my wife and daughters, and get outside quite a bit.

Congratulations on retirement! Just stay busy or you will "rust".

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fryffytr1: Find a job lol at least something that requires your attention every day . You can not just set around watching tv. You need something to keep you motivated

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on retirement. I retired 12 yrs. ago and never looked back. I love every day I have, to do whatever I want. Find something you like to do and do it. The years seem to go by real fast when you don’t have to go to work anymore.

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have fun. I retired 1 1/2 years ago. Started with farm work at 5 years old and put 42 years in at a distillery. Bad thing is now I have the time but my body sometimes disagrees with me. Can't do as much as I would sometimes like but when the body says no, I keep my mind busy with research. Still make runs for the vol. fire dept. but try to use my brain more and my back less. It's different but not hard to like. LOL Good luck with your retirement.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I retired my business in 08. Retirement was not what I thought. I thought I'd have time for all sorts of diversions but it seems I run out of time faster that when I worked. My home has been my hobby. Move this wall, add this room etc. Retirement kind of defines itself.
Biggest change is loosing the interaction with people when working. The days go too fast.
Then there's the Business of medicine. You'll be surprised how many meds and procedures these docs come up with. There's big bucks in old bodies.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I retired in December. I'm still trying to figure it out.

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fyrffytr1, I retired after working heavy lifting/hard labor jobs for 61 years. I find that growing vegetables and flowers is as peaceful and fulfilling as can be.
I feed many family and neighbors with the products from my garden and the neighborhood children love picking fresh food off the plants and learning about
all the things they can about the garden. It is great for the neighbors and for me. My Jordanian muslim neighbors are anxious to start planting their first garden with me this spring.
In the winter there is much to learn on the web and a great time to bargain shop the things you need for the garden. Often 50 to 75 % off clearance items.

Good Luck and best withes.....Joe McDonough

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I retired 1.5 yers ago after 46 years, 32 with the last employer. It is easier to prepare to retire financially than to prepare psychologically to not seeing close old friends at work who became family. Keep in touch with them and show them how much you care about them. Our first grandchild was born a year after we retired and he is a joy to us. My wife also retired and watches the little one - which gives her great purpose. Do what you enjoy - go metal detecting, explore, make new friends, volunteer, adopt an animal in need, donate blood, try new hobbies, travel, visit distant family members. Say "I don't know how I ever had time for work".

Last edited:

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Congrats..
Im bout to go into drop myself so Not far behind ya.
Stay busy, youll have more time to put out more game cameras now.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I would recommend retirement. I retired last March. My first job was sweeping out a broom factory when I was 5. I got paid a quarter, which I took across the street to a store for a soda,giant candy bar and a pack of juicy fruit. After 31 yrs, 9 months and 17 days (not that I was counting) of packing the mail, most of it 14 miles and about 1000 stairs a day, I thought I couldn't just sit on my keester or I'd bloat up like a toad. So I walk most mornings to a convenience store and get a cup of coffee and walk home. Most of the time with my dog. I also walk half that in the afternoon. I log about 5 miles a day.
I'm luckier than most I guess. If I don't count O.T. and what I was putting into savings, my take home is about 40 bucks a month less than when I was working. I don't worry about working for for a buck & a half a day. I try and do ONE productive thing a day then I don't feel guilty if I don't get anything else done. Getting out of bed don't count, walking the dog does.
I don't hunt, fish or golf but the last few years of work I was worn out when I got home most days so there are several "projects" still waiting to be done. If you get too bored come by, I'll find a paint brush for ya & will provide cold beer.....when the job is done. Good luck. Uglymailman (ret.)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Do not vegetate or you might wilt and die too early. If at all possible, get in better physical shape. Make another friend. Get excited about something; a hobby, a part time stress-less job; or volunteer where your experience would be most helpful. An example of the later.....be a Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor in the field of your expertise.

Don.......

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I wouldn't know anything about retirement...2 back surgeries down and still climbing ladders and crawling in attics and under houses...maybe one day...lol

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fyrffytr1, ok, what does that stand for ???? LOL My second year of full retirement.... I love it..... My poor wife has Alzheimers and and is in a nursing home because she needs 100% care... I go there every morning and feed her breakfast and take her for a tour of the place in her wheelchair. My afternoons, I tend to the grass / snow and then I detect. The fresh air and nature, gets my mind off my problems for awhile, finding relics and coins is a plus... like a few guys already said, the days go faster... When your working the days drag to the weekend.... basssmann I metal detect so much, I haven't had time to Bass fish, might have to change my name,,, lol

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kick back and start enjoying yourself, Fyrffytr! You earned it, Sir! 🙌 I pulled the pin in 2016 after 36 yrs in LE. Worked full-time since 1966 and, like you, sometimes one or even two part-time jobs along the way. I spent the first year of mine just relaxing and doing lots of nothing...aside from hunting and reconnecting with family and friends. Now I'm back into a nice routine...and it includes light exercise every day (which I suggest you do too). Plenty of more time to hunt now...if the freakin' weather will only cooperate! 😂 Just...enjoy the rest of your life! 😁

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fyrffytr1, ok, what does that stand for ???? LOL My second year of full retirement.... I love it..... My poor wife has Alzheimers and and is in a nursing home because she needs 100% care... I go there every morning and feed her breakfast and take her for a tour of the place in her wheelchair. My afternoons, I tend to the grass / snow and then I detect. The fresh air and nature, gets my mind off my problems for awhile, finding relics and coins is a plus... like a few guys already said, the days go faster... When your working the days drag to the weekend.... basssmann I metal detect so much, I haven't had time to Bass fish, might have to change my name,,, lol

If you are asking about my screen name. it is the first variation of fire fighter that a website I wanted to join would accept. That was several years ago and I keep using it for all my computer needs. I spent 30 years with the fire department and worked for Sears on my off days for over 10 years. When I "retired" from Sears they gave me a lump sum retirement check for 74 CENTS! I still have that check. When I retired from the fire service I took a part time job with an Auto parts store. That quickly turned into a full time job until today! I was injured in an on the job car wreck in 2014 and, after going through all sorts of treatments I decided to leave work so I wouldn't push myself too hard.
I am sorry to hear about your wife. I can understand a little of what you are going through because my mother-in-law is suffering from the same disease and is in a nursing home. My wife goes to see her every day. Some days Ma-in-law knows her and some days she doesn't.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have plenty to keep me occupied for a good while.Two project cars plus my finished GTO, a house that needs minor repairs and 1.5 acres of yard should keep me busy. Not to mention relic hunting!

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st off, congratulations you made it (but it's not over yet). There are two types of retirees in this world. 1. the guy who sits around and rots away on his couch and ends up with all kinds of health problems and passes away in 5 years (seen it happen to many times). 2. or the guy who stays active BOTH mentally and physically. Lots of things to do: Crossword puzzles,Take up an instrument, More time w/the Kids/Grandkids, Home projects, Start a metal detecting club in your area, Church etc. If thats not working out for you and you find it hard to keep your self going or stay on a schedule, I would recommend a "Jobby". Yes a jobby is a hobby and a job combined. ex... You like to golf, get a job at a golf course full/part time. you get to talk about something you really enjoy doing, meet lots of people and make a little spending money on the side. Remember stay busy and you will enjoy yourself for a long time. seabees

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread