Old new England

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Image (9).jpg Image (20).jpg Image (21).jpg A few old photos of new England back in the day. Moxie was a popular drink back in the late 1800's and well into the 1900's. It was touted as a "nerve food" but eventually it was changed to "soft drink". I drank that stuff when I was a kid because my grandfather always had it in his house. In the old days snow wasn't cleared with a plow, instead it was rolled with huge rollers pulled either by horses or oxen. I wonder if any of the "drivers" ever slipped off their seat and landed in front of the rollers as it was being pulled along.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pics wish I could just walk into one of those lol

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
With you're metal detector, AND be able to walk back out!

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool pics wish I could just walk into one of those lol
i'd like to be able to do that too, just NOT in winter.

With you're metal detector, AND be able to walk back out!
That would be something, to be able to detect back then. Would we consider finding barber coins as something common and not get all excited about it because they were in circulation at the time?

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice looking bottle...…..

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldnt need a detecter go get rolls of silver coins know all the collecribles Honus wagner Babe Ruth cards depending when you were back in time and with the knowledge we have in 2019 you could predict stuff teach technology and look like a very very wise man Im liking the idea more and more I would hang around for a while

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was doing coin roll hunting back in the 1950's when wheat cents and silver coins were still being minted. My grandfather and I would buy a large amount of rolls at the bank, take out the ones we wanted, many of which were scarce dates and mints, and then the majority went right back to the bank. If only we knew then to save ALL silver coins.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the thing about collecting ya never know I always think about cars like a 70 Hemi cuda convertible 5000 off the showroom A 1970 Chevelle ls6 or 7 454 SS same price

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have some cousins from Tennessee and they LOVE Moxie. A few times a year I buy them a 12 pack and send it to them. I guess it is not a big seller there! Too bad as I love the soda.

The town of Union, Maine; which is where the inventor was born, has a pretty big museum dedicated to the soda.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have some cousins from Tennessee and they LOVE Moxie. A few times a year I buy them a 12 pack and send it to them. I guess it is not a big seller there! Too bad as I love the soda.

The town of Union, Maine; which is where the inventor was born, has a pretty big museum dedicated to the soda.
Moxie for the most part was popular only in New England with limited distribution elsewhere. It definitely had a flavor all its own.

Never seen Moxie in the Midwest. Or even heard of it. Gary
It's pretty much a New England beverage but I read where the company was recently bought by Coca-Cola so maybe it'll be distributed in other parts of the country. I think it only come sin cans nowadays.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread