Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: A very nervous guy at the VA Hospital

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    11004 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post
    Heck, I wasn't thinking about this when I wrote the previous post! However, if you call the Eye Doctor's Office and tell them the day and approximate time of the elderly WWII Vet's appointment, they will know who he is and if you ask, they will likely contact these organizations about getting help for him.
    don't know if they will do that anymore, they are getting very closed mouth about things. they won't even tell us how many vets are done with their appointments as we wait for them to ride the van back home. they say that they can't tell us.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6262 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtlooter View Post
    don't know if they will do that anymore, they are getting very closed mouth about things. they won't even tell us how many vets are done with their appointments as we wait for them to ride the van back home. they say that they can't tell us.
    You are probably right if the Doctor is a VA Doctor! However, I don't think that Bonnie (Brad's wife) sees a VA Doctor, so it is likely that the elderly Vet was seeing a Civilian Eye Doctor who he probably trusts more or he sees this Doctor because it is too far to drive to see a VA Eye Doctor.
    dirtlooter and RustyGold like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    22171 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Very nice dirtlooter!
    RustyGold and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    16727 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I don't blame the guy for being afraid. I've had cataract surgery in both eyes. The first one, I didn't know they were going to stick me in the eye with a needle, and it hurt like hell. When it came time for the other eye, I kept finding excuses to postpone, but finally the need of the surgery overcame my fear as I could no longer drive at night. When I showed up for the appointment and they called me in, I railed about how other worldly painful that shot was, so they put a numbing solution in my eye first, and it still hurt like hell.

I got over it, but my feet were still kicking when they stuck me. I used a lot of profanity too.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    11004 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    I don't blame the guy for being afraid. I've had cataract surgery in both eyes. The first one, I didn't know they were going to stick me in the eye with a needle, and it hurt like hell. When it came time for the other eye, I kept finding excuses to postpone, but finally the need of the surgery overcame my fear as I could no longer drive at night. When I showed up for the appointment and they called me in, I railed about how other worldly painful that shot was, so they put a numbing solution in my eye first, and it still hurt like hell.

I got over it, but my feet were still kicking when they stuck me. I used a lot of profanity too.
    I've only had two shots that really hurt when they gave them, usually not bad, I feel the sensation of pushing down though many times. Depends on which doctor gives them and how long they wait for the numbing stuff to work
    DeepseekerADS and Inspector like this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    6262 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Wonderful story DL and Brad. I find myself doing the very same thing. I’m not afraid to talk to strangers and after a few exchanges they just open up and I know their name, where they live and so on.
    It’s amazing how one goes from Hero to Zero as one ages so if you see me dropping my keys and fiddling in the parking lot stop by for a chat! Lol!
    Hawks88, Limitool and Inspector like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

us
    Oct 2018
    NE Ohio
    Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett AT Max Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
    881 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    We are very fortunate to have one of the best VA hospitals in the country in Cleveland Ohio. Every time I have to go to the main campus instead of the satellite office, I’m impressed with the number of volunteers to help vets get back to their vehicles and load their chairs for them. Nobody has to go it alone once on campus. Regardless of which campaign we were connected with, we're still brothers and sisters in arms right to the end. So many proudly wear their caps to the VA hospital, defining their service connection. I was Vietnam era non combat, and always try to strike up a conversation with someone in the waiting room. I just ask when they were in and where we’re they stationed. Then I sit back and just listen. We’re all proud of service time, regardless of length.

gb
    I'm the best eva, the most vicious brutal champion eva.

Oct 2014
    S.Wales UK
    Equinox 800. Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
    312 times
    I was at the VA hospital in Little Rock, there were as usual, a lot of people there. As I sat there waiting, there was another man across from me that seemed to be a nervous wreck. I tried to talk to him but he wasn't very responsive but I continued with the light talk. Finally he opened up and the flood gates were wide open. He was about to get a shot in his eye and was totally afraid of a needle going into his eye. I explained that I had been apprehensive of my first shot too and that I had been getting them for over three years now. He had a lot of questions and I had some answers.

Anyways, we got separated as he went in to see a doctor and then I did. So a little bit later, while I sat waiting to ride the van back to Mena, the man saw me and hurried over to me. He shook my hand and thanked me for helping him to calm down before the shot. I told him that anyone else would have done the same thing. It only takes a minute or so out of our time to talk to someone. we have the ability to lift someone up, to encourage them or to even calm them down but only if we open our mouths or physically do something. Look around you, even metal detecting you might make a difference in someone's life or day. May not seem like much to you but to them it can be gigantic. Just saying. DL
    100% top man!!

gb
    I'm the best eva, the most vicious brutal champion eva.

Oct 2014
    S.Wales UK
    Equinox 800. Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
    312 times
    I was at the VA hospital in Little Rock, there were as usual, a lot of people there. As I sat there waiting, there was another man across from me that seemed to be a nervous wreck. I tried to talk to him but he wasn't very responsive but I continued with the light talk. Finally he opened up and the flood gates were wide open. He was about to get a shot in his eye and was totally afraid of a needle going into his eye. I explained that I had been apprehensive of my first shot too and that I had been getting them for over three years now. He had a lot of questions and I had some answers.

Anyways, we got separated as he went in to see a doctor and then I did. So a little bit later, while I sat waiting to ride the van back to Mena, the man saw me and hurried over to me. He shook my hand and thanked me for helping him to calm down before the shot. I told him that anyone else would have done the same thing. It only takes a minute or so out of our time to talk to someone. we have the ability to lift someone up, to encourage them or to even calm them down but only if we open our mouths or physically do something. Look around you, even metal detecting you might make a difference in someone's life or day. May not seem like much to you but to them it can be gigantic. Just saying. DL
    Dude, you can never understand how much this makes me smile.

Being someone that suffers REAL BAD with depression, and severe social anxiety, I get to talk to nobody and I mean nobody all day, everyday.....ever since my best mate killed himself over 10 years ago, my head is absolutely shot!

I would pay a million dollars if somebody would take the time to have even a 5 second conversation with me.

Christ, if somebody even said " hi mate, you alright?"

....I'd be on CLOUD nine for a month!!!!

You are the one in a million guy's.

Seriously...well done mate!

Matt

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    16727 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Hi Mate, you alright?

Matt, there ain't no person on this Earth who does not have issues. In person I've been a very quiet person = all my life. Don't want nobody to even notice me. I'm better hidden from the world, happier that way. In life I've met and known thousands of persons. Thus I now hide up a holler away from humanity. TNet is my only social media - a group of fellow dreamers with whom I relate.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Dec 2018
    Alaska
    Nox 800
    403 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The thought of shots to the eye is freaking me out!!

I had lazik on my eyes back in 2001 and felt zero pain. They put drops in my eyes that numbed everything up and I didnt feel anything.

When I go to the VA most everyone does not look like they are interested in talking but I still smile and say hi.
    dirtlooter and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    20537 times
    Metal Detecting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1967.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	1681759

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    11004 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz12 View Post
    The thought of shots to the eye is freaking me out!!

I had lazik on my eyes back in 2001 and felt zero pain. They put drops in my eyes that numbed everything up and I didnt feel anything.

When I go to the VA most everyone does not look like they are interested in talking but I still smile and say hi.
    For some reason, people seem to be attracted to me and just start talking. I am now a pretty good listener. Sometimes the ice just needs to be broken with just a few words and then they open up. Then I let them talk about whatever is on their minds
    RustyGold and Hawks88 like this.

us
    Lunch Bag

Dec 2018
    Coastal Georgia
    XP DEUS
    384 times
    Relic Hunting
    I’ve had a few needles in my eyes and other than feeling a little pressure there was no pain at all.

The alternative for me is to lose my vision so I am grateful for the shot.
    dirtlooter, RustyGold and Hawks88 like this.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6262 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Minelab Matt View Post
    Dude, you can never understand how much this makes me smile.

Being someone that suffers REAL BAD with depression, and severe social anxiety, I get to talk to nobody and I mean nobody all day, everyday.....ever since my best mate killed himself over 10 years ago, my head is absolutely shot!

I would pay a million dollars if somebody would take the time to have even a 5 second conversation with me.

Christ, if somebody even said " hi mate, you alright?"

....I'd be on CLOUD nine for a month!!!!

You are the one in a million guy's.

Seriously...well done mate!

Matt
    Matt,

Hi mate, you alright? And I sure do hope you are alright! Like DeepseekerADS stated, there ain't no person on this Earth who does not have issues. I have depression from time to time due all of the financial difficulties I face every month, from the constant pain in my' back, legs and butt from an injury in the U.S. Army, from the loss of loved ones and friends and out of worry for my' middle daughter who has depression and anxiety worse than her two sisters and her mother (my ex-wife). However, I try to look on the bright side of things and get out and talk to people I know. When I think things are bad, I think about my' youngest daughter's fiance, Kevin who not only had a rough life coming up but also while serving two tours in Iraq. Kevin lost his mother at an early age to a cancerous brain tumor and before she died, the kids on the school bus would laugh at him and his mother...who would often fall when she saw him off to school because her balance was affected severely, seeing his dad die shortly after he turned 16 from Liver cancer and then having his whole Marine Unit wiped out in the first Battle of Fallujah with the exception of himself and one other Marine who he stays in contact with to this day. Please try to look for the good things in life, don't spend time watching or reading depressing news and most of all, please find some friends and an activity where you can make more friends and talk with them. Heck, most would want to know that you are having problems and will likely do what they can to help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links