Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: A very nervous guy at the VA Hospital

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox
    9911 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

A very nervous guy at the VA Hospital

I was at the VA hospital in Little Rock, there were as usual, a lot of people there. As I sat there waiting, there was another man across from me that seemed to be a nervous wreck. I tried to talk to him but he wasn't very responsive but I continued with the light talk. Finally he opened up and the flood gates were wide open. He was about to get a shot in his eye and was totally afraid of a needle going into his eye. I explained that I had been apprehensive of my first shot too and that I had been getting them for over three years now. He had a lot of questions and I had some answers.

Anyways, we got separated as he went in to see a doctor and then I did. So a little bit later, while I sat waiting to ride the van back to Mena, the man saw me and hurried over to me. He shook my hand and thanked me for helping him to calm down before the shot. I told him that anyone else would have done the same thing. It only takes a minute or so out of our time to talk to someone. we have the ability to lift someone up, to encourage them or to even calm them down but only if we open our mouths or physically do something. Look around you, even metal detecting you might make a difference in someone's life or day. May not seem like much to you but to them it can be gigantic. Just saying. DL
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779.. now in Catlin N.Y.
    Deus, 9" Hi, 11" Low, 9" X35 Coils Deus MI 6, Land or Sea Pointer, Garrett Pointer, King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA Lesche 28" Ground Shark Treasure Wise Diggers T10", T12" & T14"
    5176 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Your a good man DL !
    A2coins, SD51, Rebel - KGC and 5 others like this.
    I`v been detecting for 49 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    18552 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    You were there for a reason good man
    Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $4.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.50 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    2551 times
    Proud of you DL!

Charter Member
    us
    Rick

Jan 2011
    Yuma, AZ
    Mxt, Gold Bug
    861 times
    You are obviously part if the solution! Thanks for sharing.
    Rebel - KGC, SD51, devldog and 2 others like this.
    You can't get where you want to be if you stay where you're at!

Charter Member
    us
    Rick

Jan 2011
    Yuma, AZ
    Mxt, Gold Bug
    861 times
    I meant to say you are obviously part OF the solution.
    You can't get where you want to be if you stay where you're at!

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    20906 times
    Metal Detecting
    You are THE man!

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2011
    Shenandoah Valley Virginia
    Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
    901 times
    Great Effort Great results!
    Rebel - KGC, SD51, devldog and 3 others like this.

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    White XLT Spectrum E-Series
    6260 times
    Metal Detecting
    Good Job buddy... I too always try and make a difference in people's lives around Christmas for the past 3 years.

I saw a very old man last week in the waiting room at an eye doctor. My wife had appt. and I was just sitting there waiting. I started to talk to him and the flood gates just opened up. He was 93 y/o's old and in a motorized wheelchair. He wore a combat vet hat and I asked him about it. We talked for about 20 minutes and he told me all about his exploits during WW2 during D-Day. It was amazing to listen to him as he spoke so slowly but clearly. Finally a lady came out, gave him his glasses and he went to leave. I followed him out of the office and into the entrance lobby. Nobody was there to help him as that was why I followed him. I asked him outside.. "How did you get here?" He said "he drove but it was very difficult."I asked if he needed any help. He said yes getting his chair into the van. He "drove" his chair behind an old van and tried to stand up as I helped him. I opened the back doors. There inside was a lift system for his chair. It was obvious what had to happen. I got his chair inside and the back doors closed. He greatly struggled to walk along the side of his van to the drivers door. I couldn't believe this was actually happening as I watched him. I helped him up inside and he thanked me.

I asked "Do you have someone at home to help with the chair sir?"He said no and that he lived alone about 5 miles away and doesn't have any family.

Long story short now... He gets his own food at Kroger, goes to his own Dr. appt's. and loads and unloads this heavy chair all by himself and he can barely walk. I so wish I had gotten his name and address so I could start helping him and feel very badly that I didn't. There aren't many WW2 vets left. His mind was sharp but his body was very very frail... but he did everything by himself yet. This shouldn't be happening and will never again if I see it. I hope I run into him before he dies alone.
    I am a true blue Patriot who believes in the original Constitution's meaning. I'll bleed blood to defend it and resist those who want to diminish or alter its meaning or those rights stated within the Constitution.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    177 times
    Prospecting
    I try to do this as well.

If I go to town and see a crew working on the powerlines or roads, I always bring back cold sodas or coffees and give it to the flag people. (Sodas in the summer/coffee in the winter). They are always appreciative, and yet it is a great way to say that what they do matters too, and are appreciated.

I hope the people in cars behind me see that, and carry on the tradition sometime.
    Ogre1190, devldog, Hawks88 and 5 others like this.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox
    9911 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Limitool View Post
    Good Job buddy... I too always try and make a difference in people's lives around Christmas for the past 3 years.

I saw a very old man last week in the waiting room at an eye doctor. My wife had appt. and I was just sitting there waiting. I started to talk to him and the flood gates just opened up. He was 93 y/o's old and in a motorized wheelchair. He wore a combat vet hat and I asked him about it. We talked for about 20 minutes and he told me all about his exploits during WW2 during D-Day. It was amazing to listen to him as he spoke so slowly but clearly. Finally a lady came out, gave him his glasses and he went to leave. I followed him out of the office and into the entrance lobby. Nobody was there to help him as that was why I followed him. I asked him outside.. "How did you get here?" He said "he drove but it was very difficult."I asked if he needed any help. He said yes getting his chair into the van. He "drove" his chair behind an old van and tried to stand up as I helped him. I opened the back doors. There inside was a lift system for his chair. It was obvious what had to happen. I got his chair inside and the back doors closed. He greatly struggled to walk along the side of his van to the drivers door. I couldn't believe this was actually happening as I watched him. I helped him up inside and he thanked me.

I asked "Do you have someone at home to help with the chair sir?"He said no and that he lived alone about 5 miles away and doesn't have any family.

Long story short now... He gets his own food at Kroger, goes to his own Dr. appt's. and loads and unloads this heavy chair all by himself and he can barely walk. I so wish I had gotten his name and address so I could start helping him and feel very badly that I didn't. There aren't many WW2 vets left. His mind was sharp but his body was very very frail... but he did everything by himself yet. This shouldn't be happening and will never again if I see it. I hope I run into him before he dies alone.
    sometimes just listening makes a world of a difference but so many times, there is someone just needing someone like say "you" to take a few minutes of your time to make a difference in their time. it is a hard thing to grow old and lose so many abilities. a once very strong man or woman reduced to a shell of what they once were. But a person doesn't have to be old to be having problems or struggles, we just need to have our eyes more open more often to see them.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO,
    2062 times
    Relic Hunting
    These were both Great and Uplifting posts Dirtlooter and Limitool. As said, we can choose to become a part of the problem or a part of the solution. Stories such as these helps to renew our faith in Mankind'. The news is full of nothing but violence, crime, and All things Inhumane. It is great to hear POSITIVE stories such as these. Thanks. It's a shame the news couldn't be full of stories such as this.........wait, but then that wouldn't be news, unfortunately. Well Done. You are two good men in my opinion.
    Last edited by devldog; Feb 09, 2019 at 04:24 PM.

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    6536 times
    Quote Originally Posted by devldog View Post
    These were both Great and Uplifting posts Dirtlooter and Limitool. As said, we can choose to become a part of the problem or a part of the solution. Stories such as these helps to renew our faith in Mankind'. The news is full of nothing but violence, crime, and All things Inhumane. It is great to hear POSITIVE stories such as these. Thanks. It's a shame the news couldn't be full of stories such as this.........wait, but then that wouldn't be news, unfortunately. Well Done. You are two good men in my opinion.
    I could not have said it better than what devil dog said. This world needs more people that help one another.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5773 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Limitool View Post

Brad,

The local Veterans of Foreign Wars Post and/or the local American Legion Post as well as the closest VA Office likely know who the elderly gentleman is because there are not many WWII Vets left. A few phone calls to these organizations will likely get him the help that he needs. The elderly WWII Vet may not know that these organizations are there to help Vets such as himself and he is probably too proud to ask.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5773 times
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post
    Brad,

The local Veterans of Foreign Wars Post and/or the local American Legion Post as well as the closest VA Office likely know who the elderly gentleman is because there are not many WWII Vets left. A few phone calls to these organizations will likely get him the help that he needs. The elderly WWII Vet may not know that these organizations are there to help Vets such as himself and he is probably too proud to ask.
    Heck, I wasn't thinking about this when I wrote the previous post! However, if you call the Eye Doctor's Office and tell them the day and approximate time of the elderly WWII Vet's appointment, they will know who he is and if you ask, they will likely contact these organizations about getting help for him.
    Last edited by huntsman53; Feb 10, 2019 at 01:18 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links